TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Hard to disagree with this.

I cringed more with MB's support of Lefebvre than Therrien. For many years we had Pierre Mondou in charge of player development. He had no experience and brought little to the position. A couple of years ago Bergevin appointed Martin Lapointe and Patrice "DumbDumb" Brisebois. I don't know about Lapointe other than a definite lack of experience, but it didn't take a genius to know that Brisebois was, well, not a genius either.

It's not rocket science, model player development after teams that are good at it. Detroit and Los Angeles would be a start.

Habs are always smarter than everyone else and do their own thing so....

Analyzer*

Montreal isn't perusing him, so this should be locked and moved to out of town thread

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Yea, Subban played a season in the minors but I think he was going to be a star no matter what. I'm all for players staying in the minors and honing their crafts. There was no need to keep Galchenyuk with the team if he was going to be played on the wing and sit behind DD. Terrible development.

I disagree. Subban was really raw and could have gone either way coming out of junior. Boucher harnessed him in and taught him how to control a game from the back end. Developmental years are crucial, and I worry about Galchenyuk being stunted even though he's going to be good no matter what cause of his skill level, he could be a lot less than his potential.

According to TSN, only Toronto and Buffalo ended up doing it, although he visited a few others ( Including San-Jose today).

St. Louis asked for permission per Lebrun, even though Hitchcock is still employed.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What does Babcock do that is so different from every other coach in the league. Where would he have been without Lidstrom for all of those years, we don't have to look past our own crease to see how one of the games best players can make a team and a coach look good. Babcock has also had the benefit of a steady crop of good players over the years and that has been a big factor in his success. I would love to see him choose Edmonton and take that team to the next level, that will take a good coach.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
What does Babcock do that is so different from every other coach in the league. Where would he have been without Lidstrom for all of those years, we don't have to look past our own crease to see how one of the games best players can make a team and a coach look good. Babcock has also had the benefit of a steady crop of good players over the years and that has been a big factor in his success. I would love to see him choose Edmonton and take that team to the next level, that will take a good coach.

He is IMO over rated.

He still plays favourites and old guys over rookies. I think he could take a Buffalo team and make them good.

Edmonton... not so sure. People think that McDavid will be able to play D and goalie al while juggling bowling balls.

Edmonton still needs a lot of work to even sniff the playoffs.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Give BargainBin 3 more years and we shall see. You are just talking through your hat right now.

People will be eating a lot of crow just like they did when I said that McCarron looked really good last off season.

Posters here think that MB will say everything he thinks in his presser and not do anything during the summer.

Smh. At least we will be two who can remember these posts. :handclap:

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
People will be eating a lot of crow just like they did when I said that McCarron looked really good last off season.

Posters here think that MB will say everything he thinks in his presser and not do anything during the summer.

Last season or preseason because everyone changed their minds about Big Mac during the preseason.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Ahh kk because I liked him from his first preseason with us ... I remember him throwing the body and driving the net almost like this years preseason.

Yea but people were calling him a bust and laughing at me for drawing comparisons to Lucic after I saw him at camp.

Let's just say people are eating lots of crow right now.

t0ny

Apr 8, 2008

Or we will be doomed in a torrent of pure **** if MB **** this thing up. Could go either side unfortunately :sarcasm:

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Galchenyuk was a 3rd overall pick. What Babcock and Holland said is that where they are drafting (late in the 1st round), the players they pick need 4-5 years in the minors before they are ready. On top of that, you have to consider if the player is better off in junior, or at the NHL level. Sometimes the AHL isn't even an option and you're stuck with 2 options which aren't ideal. In Galchenyuk's case it was sarnia or montreal. So what you're saying is that we should have left Galchenyuk in junior despite the fact he had the highest points per min average of any 18 year old in 10 years ? What Holland said doesn't apply to Galchenyuk, and we made the right decision in his case.

And there are more than one way to skin a cat. The way the wings do it doesn't mean it's the only way. And I'd say that drafting Lidstrom is not a formula you can repeat, and Lidstrom was the reason for their success. Now they're 1-2 round and done team. And they went from Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan-Lidstrom,etc to Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Kronwall.. and now these guys will be gone soon and the next crop might be even weaker. They're slowly declining and have been for a while.

Now, you might have a case with DLR, Eller, Gallagher... I don't agree but you know .. maybe..

Thing is though that every player is different. I think the wings would make exceptions as well if they had exceptional players. Ultimately, all players have to be considered on an individual basis and there are no proven and universal method that apply to everyone. Some people respond well to gentle nudging, some need to be kicked in the ass, some need to be protected and brought along slowly, some can jump in right away.

All decisions should be considered on their individual merit and not based on what the wings have done with other players who are different from ours.

Also, on a completely unrelated subject, there is something that bothers me about Babcock.. about how he speaks of himself in the 3rd person, and how inflated his ego seems to be.

Yes that is what I'm saying. Its about long term not short term. I'd rather see him have a successful career rather than a successful rookie year. I think he would be a better player if he had more time in Sarnia after his injury.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He is IMO over rated.

He still plays favourites and old guys over rookies. I think he could take a Buffalo team and make them good.

Edmonton... not so sure. People think that McDavid will be able to play D and goalie al while juggling bowling balls.

Edmonton still needs a lot of work to even sniff the playoffs.

MacLegend can do all that, and more. He will score 85 goals and have at least 100 assists next year, if he gives 50%.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Man, if Babcock goes to Buffalo I don't know what to think. I never thought in a million years he'd choose there. I guess he was serious about setting the financial market for head coaches in the NHL.

I hope he gets his wish for the contracts to be public like players.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Man, if Babcock goes to Buffalo I don't know what to think. I never thought in a million years he'd choose there. I guess he was serious about setting the financial market for head coaches in the NHL.

I hope he gets his wish for the contracts to be public like players.

There is a lot to like about Buffalo and their org though.

Fans love their hockey just like in Detroit and their prospects + young players will be tearing up the East in a few years.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
At least Buffalo has some intresting and promising players in their pipeline unlike the Leafs.... With the Edmonton coaching job being already filled this is his best choice if really does want to leave Detroit for more money and a new challenge.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
At least Buffalo has some intresting and promising players in their pipeline unlike the Leafs.... With the Edmonton coaching job being already filled this is his best choice if really does want to leave Detroit for more money and a new challenge.

Plus I am not so sure that he wants to go in the media fire of Toronto.

Beatnik

Sep 2, 2002
Québec
Visit site

Babcock is very similar to Therrien. He's very tough on young players and have his favorites.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad