TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
So which teams are in need of a coach? Without firing anyone.

Detroit, San Jose, Toronto, Buffalo, Philadelphia & Edmonton will be going hard after him. Although I think Detroit might be out because they won't go to 5 million per, whereas the other teams most likely would.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
Detroit, San Jose, Toronto, Buffalo, Philadelphia & Edmonton will be going hard after him. Although I think Detroit might be out because they won't go to 5 million per, whereas the other teams most likely would.

I thought they offered him a huge amount to become the highest paid coach of all-time

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013

Out of those teams only Detroit is a contender. So if he were to go to a non-contender team then why not Toronto? they have money to burn as aways.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Out of those teams only Detroit is a contender. So if he were to go to a non-contender team then why not Toronto? they have money to burn as aways.

Why not the Flyers? Babcock in Philly would make things interesting, they could contend, and that's a team not afraid to spend if they're allowed to.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
I thought they offered him a huge amount to become the highest paid coach of all-time

They offered him a contract that would make him the highest paid coach, but reports are they wouldn't go to 5/per. I think Quenneville is the highest paid at 2.5, maybe 3? I can't remember exactly, but it's nowhere near 5 million per.

As for contenders, Babcoack isn't an old man. I think he would be looking at fit for his family more than what players are on the team at this exact moment, although I'm sure it will play a part. I don't think he'll go to Toronto, but maybe. I personally think he's more likely to go to Edmonton if he wants to be in Canada, or San Jose if he want ssomewhere warm.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
They offered him a contract that would make him the highest paid coach, but reports are they wouldn't go to 5/per. I think Quenneville is the highest paid at 2.5, maybe 3? I can't remember exactly, but it's nowhere near 5 million per.

As for contenders, Babcoack isn't an old man. I think he would be looking at fit for his family more than what players are on the team at this exact moment, although I'm sure it will play a part. I don't think he'll go to Toronto, but maybe. I personally think he's more likely to go to Edmonton if he wants to be in Canada, or San Jose if he want ssomewhere warm.

ahh okay

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Therrien is god in bergys eyes. nothing will be done so no bother discussing.

Its a transition year after all. Just another bs excuse.

if you have a chance to get the best you go for it especially when it doesnt hurt your roster but realistically no chance mb even tries.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Therrien is god in bergys eyes. nothing will be done so no bother discussing.

Its a transition year after all. Just another bs excuse.

if you have a chance to get the best you go for it especially when it doesnt hurt your roster but realistically no chance mb even tries.

:laugh:

In the real world there isn't a single team that would fire their coach with zero guarantee that they could replace him with Babcock, not unless they had every intention of firing their coach anyway.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
He wants more power. Not just the simple coaching job. By the way, since he's so great, why is Detroit letting him go?

I heard that isn't true. He wants to set the bar for coaches salaries going forward, and he wants it to be public. He sees this as an opportunity for hockey coaches to catch up to the other major sports seeing coaches paid 5-10 million. Sometimes more.

It's like the UFA that hits the market, where they set the market for the rest of the field.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

In the real world there isn't a single team that would fire their coach with zero guarantee that they could replace him with Babcock, not unless they had every intention of firing their coach anyway.

In the real world you don't have to fire your current coach before hiring a new one.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
Hall, McDavid, RNH, Eberle, Nurse, Schultz, Klefbom

If Chiarelli can move someone like Yakupov+ and fill a hole or two, I truly believe Edmonton isn't too far off from turning it around, with that much talent its hard not to. The oldest of the above players is 24 to boot.

Add to that the strong Canadian/Team Canada connection and I wouldn't be surprised to see Babcock in Edmonton.

Papa_Bear_21

Aug 2, 2005
It's really funny to hear some people's reaction to this.
If Eric Staal or Sidney Crosby or Evgeny Malkin were going to be free agents this summer, everyone (including media members) would be salivating.
Fans would be losing their minds. Would anyone care what it would mean for David Desharnais, Lars Eller or Tomas Pleckanec?
So now that the widely accepted best coach is available we shouldn't get involved? At least see if he'd be interested? That seems crazy to me.
And if that's the case, then we may as well buckle in, cause there will be no point firing Michel Therrien for any reason for a LONG time.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002

Real world. something tells me you dont live in it.

in business, people get hired to replace people all the time.

Real world, are you kidding me...

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
He doesn't speak French and is more likely to go to Toronto

I do not see why he would go to Toronto (other than for monetary reasons). Leafs are going nowhere in the foreseeable future. Edmonton has a lot of assets and can become a competitive team with a few moves. Coaching them would be an interesting challenge IMHO.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013

If an owner goes to his GM and tells him to do his best to sign the best coach in hockey, the GM will do it. The GM's job is to ice the best possible roster and to hire the best possible coaching staff. If it means firing a winning coach to hire the best coach of this generation, then he'll do it.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
If an owner goes to his GM and tells him to do his best to sign the best coach in hockey, the GM will do it. The GM's job is to ice the best possible roster and to hire the best possible coaching staff. If it means firing a winning coach to hire the best coach of this generation, then he'll do it.

In the business world, it happens all the time.

Maybe business world isnt a real world tho

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Another good coach we can't get because of MT. *sigh*

We can't get because of organization rules and that he's a hot commodity. If people feel he's waiting for us they are sadly mistaken. Other teams have so much more potential like the oilers who are filled with 1st overall picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad