TSN: Mike Babcock free to talk to other teams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turtleneck Plek

Real Life
Mar 23, 2008
Montreal
Promote lmao? I can just imagine this clown in a management role... he'd bring Bouillon out of retirement with a $5m cap hit, trade Galchenyuk for Cedric Paquette, and sign MSL for upward of $8m.

Promote is just a term, it doesn't necessarily means he'd have more power. You can name him VP of hockey operations where he has a ''better'' title but he has to answer to MB for everything and Bergy decides at the end. Kinda like what the Oilers did with MacT. That takes him off the bench but allows the Habs to pay him for more than staying home.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Sharks had the players. Habs do not.

Then get the players. I'm sick of this loser mentality and playing not to lose like Therrien does. Tampa pummeled the Habs all year cause of their offensive style. And Therrien had no other option but have his whole team turtle. Guys like Subban and Eller were doing much better the year Therrien joined the team the first year, having them play an offensive puck-possession system. The Habs were amazing that year. They were winning and they were pummeling teams, dominating them. Until the playoffs when Therrien had them play the current trapping defensive style and they lost to Ottawa.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Want to pull a Rangers a burn a hole through our prospect depth ?

MB is building a team that will be competitive for the next 5-7 years,

Not 2 years and then revert back to a bubble team.

Big picture.

So in the five years it takes for Scherbak and company to produce as premium scorers, our current core will be in their 30s and Markov will be retired. This also assumes all of them will have a significant impact. If they don't, our supposedly seven year competitive team won't be anything but perpetual mediocrity by then. Every former cup winner has made significant trades to bolster their roster.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
Babcock interview

I read the TSN comments about it being a circle jerk and him using ot as a bargaining tool to get more money but that was probably the most open and honest sports interview I've seen.

http://www.tsn.ca/exclusive-babcock-talks-coaching-future-1.284225
Babcock wants to win so obviously he isnt going to go to Toronto Edmonton or Buffalo and the way he more less said he will likely resign in Detroit was refreshing. Dreger flat out asked him about wanting to be a high paid coach and he basically said yes when he said he wants to take care of Mike Babcock and his family.

MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR HABS FANS, HOW THEY TALKED ABOUT DEVELOPING PLAYERS SHOULD CONCERN YOU. DLR shouldnt be in the NHL, Galchenyuk was rushed, Hudon needs more time. Bournival coyld have used more time in the ahl. Where woukd Eller be if Montreal gave him some ahl time. Listen to their philosophy about how they develop players. When you pick late, it will take up to 5 years to develop the datsyuk and kronwalls of the world.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
So that was what Babcock and co. said about the Habs prospects?

I mostly agree with that, only from the POV that it couldn't hurt any of those players to play more junior. Chucky is a toss up cuz I think it's a combination of his idiot GM and coach as well as the fact that he hasnt been able to slow the pace of the game in his mind. Then again, he's doing pretty well considering his shiiite usage. He's gotta work wayyyy harder, but I'm ok with him going straight to the big club.

We should be cautious about Hudon. Bournival looked amazing in the NHL, then I think the team just started playing poorly, then injuries. DLR looked great all regular season and I didn't hate him in the playoffs given his role, but sure, the AHL will improve you. Problem -- what do we do in the meantime? We have nobody.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Ken Holland is one ****ing good GM, detroit staff know how to develop youngins

He is. Player development is so important. Notice the most consistent teams have good player development? Usually consists of a good coaching staff, upper management and good minor league staff all on the same page.

MT is not the guy and it's so clear to see... What is his track record in player development? It's pretty poor. But he's here another 4 years....so..maybe he will transform all of our prospects into grinders.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He is. Player development is so important. Notice the most consistent teams have good player development? Usually consists of a good coaching staff, upper management and good minor league staff all on the same page.

MT is not the guy and it's so clear to see... What is his track record in player development? It's pretty poor. But he's here another 4 years....so..maybe he will transform all of our prospects into grinders.

Since he's been here... Patches has changed from a physical scorer who would drive the net to a perimeter shooter who cherry picks.

Subban has been limited to maybe one rush a game.

Chucky has had his creativity stifled to the point he second guesses everything and rifles poor shots at the net at every opportunity.

DLR did not show any of the skill we saw flashed at the WJC

Beaulieu like Subban has been reduced to playing a safe game which has resulted in him never jumping in to the play like he's done successfully at other levels

Biurnival died completely

Ghetto scored 3 in 3 then was demoted and went chip and chase on the 4th line.

Even Gallagher used to be more skilled in open space but his skills have been reduced to being a garbage man around the net

realtalk11

Oct 7, 2013
Since he's been here... Patches has changed from a physical scorer who would drive the net to a perimeter shooter who cherry picks.

Chucky has had his creativity stifled to the point he second guesses everything and rifles poor shots at the net at every opportunity.

Beaulieu like Subban has been reduced to playing a safe game which has resulted in him never jumping in to the play like he's done successfully at other levels

Even Gallagher used to be more skilled in open space but his skills have been reduced to being a garbage man around the net

The sad thing is that all your points are true and not exaggerated lol

But Gaston Therrien once said : "Quand tu as un Therrien, tu le gardes" !!!

:sarcasm:

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

I see it, you see it....why can't MB?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Player development, is exactly what the Habs struggle with...and I mean struggle...we are not the Leafs, but we are downright bad at it....right now we are lucky Carey Price seems to hide all of our shortcomings, and we have Da record...

Top Corner2

Feb 15, 2003
Visit site
I read the TSN comments about it being a circle jerk and him using ot as a bargaining tool to get more money but that was probably the most open and honest sports interview I've seen.

Babcock wants to win so obviously he isnt going to go to Toronto Edmonton or Buffalo and the way he more less said he will likely resign in Detroit was refreshing. Dreger flat out asked him about wanting to be a high paid coach and he basically said yes when he said he wants to take care of Mike Babcock and his family.

MOST IMPORTANTLY FOR HABS FANS, HOW THEY TALKED ABOUT DEVELOPING PLAYERS SHOULD CONCERN YOU. DLR shouldnt be in the NHL, Galchenyuk was rushed, Hudon needs more time. Bournival coyld have used more time in the ahl. Where woukd Eller be if Montreal gave him some ahl time. Listen to their philosophy about how they develop players. When you pick late, it will take up to 5 years to develop the datsyuk and kronwalls of the world.

Yeah interesting interview.

Yeah Patience is key. Patience to make then NHL, but also patience when they first make the NHL. I always laugh when people around here push to play the younger players and think they will develop into stars right away.

I think internal competition is also so important, just like they said. If you hand players jobs without them earning it, it doesn't work. Young players need to be pushed.

It's not as easy as "just play Tinordi" or "make Galchenyuk a center"....those players have to prove it on the ice.

Fun to hear those guys talk. They are obviously great hockey minds and great friends who have influenced each other probably more than they know (they even talk the same!).

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Galchenyuk was a 3rd overall pick. What Babcock and Holland said is that where they are drafting (late in the 1st round), the players they pick need 4-5 years in the minors before they are ready. On top of that, you have to consider if the player is better off in junior, or at the NHL level. Sometimes the AHL isn't even an option and you're stuck with 2 options which aren't ideal. In Galchenyuk's case it was sarnia or montreal. So what you're saying is that we should have left Galchenyuk in junior despite the fact he had the highest points per min average of any 18 year old in 10 years ? What Holland said doesn't apply to Galchenyuk, and we made the right decision in his case.

And there are more than one way to skin a cat. The way the wings do it doesn't mean it's the only way. And I'd say that drafting Lidstrom is not a formula you can repeat, and Lidstrom was the reason for their success. Now they're 1-2 round and done team. And they went from Yzerman-Fedorov-Shanahan-Lidstrom,etc to Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Kronwall.. and now these guys will be gone soon and the next crop might be even weaker. They're slowly declining and have been for a while.

Now, you might have a case with DLR, Eller, Gallagher... I don't agree but you know .. maybe..

Thing is though that every player is different. I think the wings would make exceptions as well if they had exceptional players. Ultimately, all players have to be considered on an individual basis and there are no proven and universal method that apply to everyone. Some people respond well to gentle nudging, some need to be kicked in the ass, some need to be protected and brought along slowly, some can jump in right away.

All decisions should be considered on their individual merit and not based on what the wings have done with other players who are different from ours.

Also, on a completely unrelated subject, there is something that bothers me about Babcock.. about how he speaks of himself in the 3rd person, and how inflated his ego seems to be.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

relax, every player develops at a different rate

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The biggest difference I see in Galchenyuk his first year and this year is his state of mind/confidence. His first year he seemed genuinely happy, now he seems almost like a drone out there.

I'm a huge believer that you need to give special players wiggle room in their game, let them utilize their skillset to the team's advantage. You make them happy by letting them play their game, and more oft then not it can really be a difference maker for the team.

Chucky absolutely needs to play center, and he needs to be given team mates that can finish. Desharnais has been in this role the entire time Chucky has been here. Why? Because he's better defensively and on face offs? Not by much. How is Chucky ever going to learn how to play center effectively at the NHL level if the time is not being invested into him? If he's ever going to improve on these facets of his game he is going to need to play the position. His skillset is exactly that of a center. He doesn't have the crash and bang style that is needed to succeed as a winger on this team with this system.

That's on management and coaching. Not Galchenyuk. He has been put in a position to stagnate from day 1.

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
I'm still struggling to understand how DD is perceived as better defensively. I will say he does do it sometimes, when he knows he's gotten burned or when he feels he's been crap (in the eyes of his Sith Lord Master), but otherwise...I cannot recall too much D backchecking greatness from him.

I'd say DD is a sliver better than Chucky in that dept., but it comes with....experience.

McGuires Corndog

Marc Bergevin juju exorcist
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm still struggling to understand how DD is perceived as better defensively. I will say he does do it sometimes, when he knows he's gotten burned or when he feels he's been crap (in the eyes of his Sith Lord Master), but otherwise...I cannot recall too much D backchecking greatness from him.

I'd say DD is a sliver better than Chucky in that dept., but it comes with....experience.

Exactly. He won't learn the defensive responsibilities of playing center while playing the wing. It's common sense.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

I didn't read/listen to this on TSN so thanks for the summary on the Hab prospects. I agree with everything except Hudon since I would have given him a look when he was lighting up the AHL as one of the top scorers, that and maybe Galchenyuk who maybe he was rushed but he was such a highly skilled player I was ok with it.

But I agree 100% on the others, I have said all along that they should have left Bournival in the AHL longer and often wondered what would have happened to Eller had they put him back in the AHL his first year here. I was against calling up DLR as well.

habs03

Subban #Thoroughbred
Jun 21, 2010
Wait, so we shouldn't have rushed all those young players but weren't people on here complaining that Beaulieu was sent down last year......

Babcock is a great coach but IMO the guy we missed out and realistic had a chance of getting because I believe Elliote Fiedmen said he thinks he knows enough French to get by is Joel Queenville.

The summer Bergevin was hired, Stan Bowman thought long and hard about making a coaching change, he ended up keeping Queenville, if only!!!

Rockomax

Jan 16, 2007
Mtl
Wait, so we shouldn't have rushed all those young players but weren't people on here complaining that Beaulieu was sent down last year......

Babcock is a great coach but IMO the guy we missed out and realistic had a chance of getting because I believe Elliote Fiedmen said he thinks he knows enough French to get by is Joel Queenville.

The summer Bergevin was hired, Stan Bowman thought long and hard about making a coaching change, he ended up keeping Queenville, if only!!!

A lot of people also want to see McCarron and Scherbak on the Habs as soon as next year...We're not the most patient bunch to say the least.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->