Mike “Strech Pass” Babcock

?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Who are the coaches to win a cup without hall of famers on their roster?
I can't think of any outside of guys with players who are currently active. The Carolina core had no Hall of Famers but Recchi played for them briefly. Obviously, Sullivan, Sutter, Trotz, and Q didn't have Hall of Famers but a bunch of guys from those teams will likely get in (Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, Toews, Kane, Keith, Hossa, Kopitar and Doughty).

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
He was coming off a memorial cup victory with the Generals. He wasn't with Detroit. He was looked at as a promising young coach from the junior ranks.

I remember reading somewhere that babcock brought one of his assistants from the redwings; it must be Hiller then; and he runs the leafs PP if am not mistaken

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I remember reading somewhere that babcock brought one of his assistants from the redwings; it must be Hiller then; and he runs the leafs PP if am not mistaken
Yeah, it is Hiller. Keefe and Smith were brought in as young guys with promise from the junior ranks. It was more than just Babcock, it was an organizational approach that Babs agreed with.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I know a guy who won the stanley cup in red wings when babcock was coach. He could have resigned with the team a few years later but went to another team. Then a few years back the TML wanted him at trade dead line, but he simply said no thank you. The biggest reason was babcock. Maybe nothing, maybe something. Maybe i just wanted you guys to know that im friends with a stanley cup winner

You mean there's an individual player that may not like playing for an individual coach? Wow, that's shocking.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Good coach but not great. Great coaches in my mind are Al Arbor, Glen Sather and Scotty Bowman. Babs thought he had a formula to win with this team and the start of season proven him right. He has a big ego and he moves very very slowly to change. It is clear the rest of league has figured out how to stop the Leafs PP, the Leafs stretch pass breakout and contain their neutral zone play. So now Shanny will have a serious talk with him over break and we'll see if he can adapt. Dubie will also receive same treatment. If Babs come out after break with same plans then there will be some changes made before playoffs.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Yeah, it is Hiller. Keefe and Smith were brought in as young guys with promise from the junior ranks. It was more than just Babcock, it was an organizational approach that Babs agreed with.

so technically DJ Smith is technically a Dubas/Hunter hire (Lou was not in the picture yet); with defensive breakouts struggling and DJ Smith still having a job means Dubas has to take some blame for it

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
He's obviously a capable coach based on his pedigree but he needs to prove that he can adjust his tactical approach effectively. It's blatantly obvious that teams around the league have figured out how to neutralize our offensive schemes and our power play.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
so technically DJ Smith is technically a Dubas/Hunter hire (Lou was not in the picture yet); with defensive breakouts struggling and DJ Smith still having a job means Dubas has to take some blame for it
He was a collaborative hire. It was organizational. Everyone was in on it. I've heard DJ Smith was more Hunter, and Keefe was Dubas. Babs then got the option of choosing which one he wanted as an assistant and the other got the Marlies gig.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He was a collaborative hire. It was organizational. Everyone was in on it. I've heard DJ Smith was more Hunter, and Keefe was Dubas. Babs then got the option of choosing which one he wanted as an assistant and the other got the Marlies gig.
Interesting, thanks for the info.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

but we need to have a talk about how we can improve our breakouts; defensive structure and deal with opposition forecheck especially when playing down low in our own zone; we have to improve in that area and not leave the points wide open to take the shots

good example is the florida game where both their goals came from point shots; we have to improve our defensive structure and close the gap

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs will have to change to adjust to what the NHL has done to adjust to Leafs. My fear is this is stuff that Babs really has a hard time dealing with. Maybe a bit too stubborn or ego.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Predictable PP
Lack of cohesion with the lines
Easy to defend
Stretch pass hasn't worked for some time now
Often puts the 4th line on towards the end of the game, when the other team has their first line on
Doesn't play our best players enough

$50 million dollar man has to make some adjustments
And so does Dubas

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Firing him right now will derail the season, as much as it's already gone off course.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I thought his middle name was "gud pro".

I'm not really sure why Leafs fans are up in arms right now. We have been playing unsustainable mediocre hockey all season long so far. Consistently this team would start off slow or play like shit for 2.5 periods and a 10 minute offensive showcase and pure skill would win them the games. Our PDO for the longest time was hovering around 104-105. That is not sustainable especially for a team that looked so bad to the naked eye.

Our luck finally has run out and the numbers are coming back down to earth and reflecting out true level of play this season.

Babcock does need to cut it the f*** out with the stretch passes through. I would imagine any half wit coach would realize that his team has excellent team speed from top to bottom and he needs to learn to use that to his advantage.

You could put prime Lidstrom on this team right now and he would look mediocre with the amount of stretch passes that would get picked off. The only reason Rielly has excelled this year (and Dermott to a much lesser extent) is because these guys don't always go for the stretch passes and instead rush the puck up the ice majority of the time. Jake Gardiner used to do the same but he's gotten lazy this year relying on his stretch passes and it's really exposing him. If he ever learned to use his speed and rush the puck up the ice, he would be excellent for us and he'd look like an offensive stud Dman. Same goes for Z, but he stop skating with the puck after his first 30 career NHL games. He treats the puck like a hot potato.

We need puck rushers from the backend to make the Babcock system not look completely foolish. We don't need better passers.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought his middle name was "gud pro".

I'm not really sure why Leafs fans are up in arms right now. We have been playing unsustainable mediocre hockey all season long so far. Consistently this team would start off slow or play like **** for 2.5 periods and a 10 minute offensive showcase and pure skill would win them the games. Our PDO for the longest time was hovering around 104-105. That is not sustainable especially for a team that looked so bad to the naked eye.

Our luck finally has run out and the numbers are coming back down to earth and reflecting out true level of play this season.

Babcock does need to cut it the **** out with the stretch passes through. I would imagine any half wit coach would realize that his team has excellent team speed from top to bottom and he needs to learn to use that to his advantage.

You could put prime Lidstrom on this team right now and he would look mediocre with the amount of stretch passes that would get picked off. The only reason Rielly has excelled this year (and Dermott to a much lesser extent) is because these guys don't always go for the stretch passes and instead rush the puck up the ice majority of the time. Jake Gardiner used to do the same but he's gotten lazy this year relying on his stretch passes and it's really exposing him. If he ever learned to use his speed and rush the puck up the ice, he would be excellent for us and he'd look like an offensive stud Dman. Same goes for Z, but he stop skating with the puck after his first 30 career NHL games. He treats the puck like a hot potato.

We need puck rushers from the backend to make the Babcock system not look completely foolish. We don't need better passers.
No he would not. A prime Lindsrom could get puck when he wanted from anybody in his own end and skate it through anybody out of his end. That is a huge difference. But no one in todays game has that guy no one. He was either 1 or 2 all time in history of league.

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
No he would not. A prime Lindsrom could get puck when he wanted from anybody in his own end and skate it through anybody out of his end. That is a huge difference. But no one in todays game has that guy no one. He was either 1 or 2 all time in history of league.
Clearly you didn't understand my post. I was saying Lidstrom wouldn't survive making stretch passes in Mike's system today. We need puck rushing dmen because they would thrive with the speedy and skilled forwards that we have. Not guys who sit back and sling the puck like Jake Gardiner and Zaitsev are currently doing.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I like mike

I think hes trying to do the best with the team being built for him.

On top of that he handled the media extremely well and is well respected around the league.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Well, the option I most agree with is that he is a coach. It's actually a fact, so hard to beat that one.

He's still a pretty good one. The lack of adjustments to issues in our game has really caused me question whether he is a great one though. He seems to have no answers.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Clearly you didn't understand my post. I was saying Lidstrom wouldn't survive making stretch passes in Mike's system today. We need puck rushing dmen because they would thrive with the speedy and skilled forwards that we have. Not guys who sit back and sling the puck like Jake Gardiner and Zaitsev are currently doing.
Gotcha totally agreed

Joedoggy

Feb 7, 2017
Predictable PP
Lack of cohesion with the lines
Easy to defend
Stretch pass hasn't worked for some time now
Often puts the 4th line on towards the end of the game, when the other team has their first line on
Doesn't play our best players enough

$50 million dollar man has to make some adjustments
And so does Dubas

Mikey tries putting out his 4th line like the islanders do against the opposition top lines.....Problem is Mikey doesn't realize he does not have the personel the Islanders 4th line has. You had them yet traded and not signed them Mikey cause they did not play Euro hockey.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
his first cup final JSG went super saiyan in the playoffs; one of the very few players who were awarded a Smythe after losing the cup finals

his second cup final (won the cup against the pens) with Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg; one of the best D-man this game has ever seen; one of the best 2-way player and magic man (datsyuk) this game has ever seen, Zetterberg -> another HHOF player

his third cup final (lost to pens) with Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg; one of the best D-man this game has ever seen; one of the best 2-way player and magic man (datsyuk) this game has ever seen, Zetterberg -> another HHOF player

Olympic gold medals and world cup

Canadian roster was filled with the top lines/top pairing of NHL teams

so lets tone it down with the applause to babcock; he is a good coach but not some master tactician who designs systems or makes in game adjustments to wreck havoc on other teams

If Canada always won a gold medal at the Olympics you could discredit his work there. But we lost our share as well. Every team we field is loaded. Far more loaded than any other team in the competition.

He deserves credit for the success of his Canadian teams. He's 3 for 3 with best on best. Plus has a junior and world title to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad