Mike “Strech Pass” Babcock

?

• Total voters

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Missing a lot of their best players and/or choosing the wrong players (pluggers) instead of the best offensive players and assigning them roles.
I think that is just passing the blame to people outside of coaching to diminish credit to Babcock. The guy has been an elite coach at single elimination events throughout his career (has 5 first place finishes in 5 events). You may not be happy with him as the Leafs coach, but at least respect the accomplishments. Tons of respected coaches have failed to lead Canada to gold at marquee events such as Glen Sather and Pat Quinn.

hudster

Mar 23, 2017
I know a guy who won the stanley cup in red wings when babcock was coach. He could have resigned with the team a few years later but went to another team. Then a few years back the TML wanted him at trade dead line, but he simply said no thank you. The biggest reason was babcock. Maybe nothing, maybe something. Maybe i just wanted you guys to know that im friends with a stanley cup winner

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I know a guy who won the stanley cup in red wings when babcock was coach. He could have resigned with the team a few years later but went to another team. Then a few years back the TML wanted him at trade dead line, but he simply said no thank you. The biggest reason was babcock. Maybe nothing, maybe something. Maybe i just wanted you guys to know that im friends with a stanley cup winner
Let me guess, your friends with Valtteri Filppulla?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Good coach, lazy, unmotivated players.

Matthews and Nylander need to give their heads a shake. Matthews is lazy and is a whiner. Nylander is a punk who couldn't keep in shape. The
D isn't great, need an upgrade for sure

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
He is too stubborn with his C-RW pairings and also his need to glue Hainsey to Rielly. Aside from that I really can't complain too much especially considering our recent coaches... Also it's harder to deal with lines when you operate with these players daily so I don't know whether its fair or not to judge him. However if Johnsson does miss time and Nylander isn't brought up to a top 6 role and another RW shift over to LW then I lose faith. Kap-Matty-Willy? Brown-Kadri-Willy? Kadri-Willy-Kap?????? The options.

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Not sure what the dynamic is for that Coaching staff.
Maybe Babcock just executes whats presented to him, and adds in his input or maybe hes complete dictator to his assistants i dunno.

But his PP coach, and his D coach need some new jobs. They are not well suited for this team, and maybe the NHL, given the talent we have.

The offensive system is flawed too, but I see it as a from the D up kinda problem.

He needs a new coaching staff. PERIOD

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Good coach, lazy, unmotivated players.

Matthews and Nylander need to give their heads a shake. Matthews is lazy and is a whiner. Nylander is a punk who couldn't keep in shape. The
D isn't great, need an upgrade for sure
Nylander needs to be a scratch. Why isn't babs doing that?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix

Purely optics. They just forked over a boatload of cash to him. They have to hope he starts to produce, than hopefully they are smart enough to ship him elsewhere after the season.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Purely optics. They just forked over a boatload of cash to him. They have to hope he starts to produce, than hopefully they are smart enough to ship him elsewhere after the season.
Is a team stupid enough to take this floater?

You know how people look at comparisons when signing new contracts?

Nylander is going to be the guy that teams look at and say "Yeah but if we give your player 6.9 million, he might be like nylander"

What a blunder.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Ironically, he picks up a point in a game that was one of his worst in the past couple of weeks. That is the luck portion balancing out I guess.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Because there's also worse players that aren't doing their jobs either? Making an example of Kadri or Marleau or Hainsey would do way more than sitting Nylander.

At least Nylander keeps possession in our favour so the other team can't score on us.

Reactions: stickty111

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
So team Canada is not stacked is what you’re saying? You or I could have coached that goal to a gold medal.

Kinda insulting statement to the Swedish, USA, Russian, Finland team isn't it?

Didn't Crosby score that golden goal in OT? Didn't we just barely win? Perhaps your memory is failing you?

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
One Stanley Cup ring, two Stanley Cup Final losses and two Olympic Gold Medals.

his first cup final JSG went super saiyan in the playoffs; one of the very few players who were awarded a Smythe after losing the cup finals

his second cup final (won the cup against the pens) with Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg; one of the best D-man this game has ever seen; one of the best 2-way player and magic man (datsyuk) this game has ever seen, Zetterberg -> another HHOF player

his third cup final (lost to pens) with Lindstrom, Datsyuk, Zetterberg; one of the best D-man this game has ever seen; one of the best 2-way player and magic man (datsyuk) this game has ever seen, Zetterberg -> another HHOF player

Olympic gold medals and world cup

Canadian roster was filled with the top lines/top pairing of NHL teams

so lets tone it down with the applause to babcock; he is a good coach but not some master tactician who designs systems or makes in game adjustments to wreck havoc on other teams

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Because there's also worse players that aren't doing their jobs either? Making an example of Kadri or Marleau or Hainsey would do way more than sitting Nylander.

At least Nylander keeps possession in our favour so the other team can't score on us.

kadri was benched the almmost the entire 2nd period and 3rd period after he gave up the goal to Rantanen against the Avs

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Not sure what the dynamic is for that Coaching staff.
Maybe Babcock just executes whats presented to him, and adds in his input or maybe hes complete dictator to his assistants i dunno.

But his PP coach, and his D coach need some new jobs. They are not well suited for this team, and maybe the NHL, given the talent we have.

The offensive system is flawed too, but I see it as a from the D up kinda problem.

He needs a new coaching staff. PERIOD

babcock brought DJ Smith with him from detroit if am not mistaken; its not like he was given assitant coaches - he chose them; while bringing one of them from red wings staff

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
the endless stretch passes showed up after Dubas and the analytics people took over. They also traded away the veterans and now the team looks mentally fragile.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
babcock brought DJ Smith with him from detroit if am not mistaken; its not like he was given assitant coaches - he chose them; while bringing one of them from red wings staff
He was coming off a memorial cup victory with the Generals. He wasn't with Detroit. He was looked at as a promising young coach from the junior ranks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad