Waived: Mikael Samuelsson

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Should it be a surprise that Ken Holland is trying to put together the best team he can by unloading some dead weight and creating space for the guys who have stepped up and claimed a spot for themselves?

Based on certain moves over the past 3 years...

Yes.

JmanWingsFan

Your average Jman
Aug 18, 2011
Somewhere
Based on certain moves over the past 3 years...

Yes.

Over the last 3 years, there weren't any other moves to make. This is just you having unrealistic expectations about moves that never existed. The only thing to be critical of Holland for is inexplicably re-signing Cleary and crowding out the young players for no reason this year.

Detroit Sports*

So what does it mean when EVERY player you put on waivers doesn't get claimed Kenny?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Should it be a surprise that Ken Holland is trying to put together the best team he can by unloading some dead weight and creating space for the guys who have stepped up and claimed a spot for themselves?

You mean the dead weight that he hoarded and chose to keep around, that created the problem in the 1st place?

Then yes, it's absolutely a shock.

Creating space for the guys who stepped up? If I remember correctly we started the season with Tatar in the press box, and with Nyquist in GR. So that we could roll out an opening night lineup that consisted of Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Sammy.

Now it's to the point that all these kids are playing, and making him look so dumb that he didn't clear space for them, that it's forced his hand.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Not entirely surprised by this. He wasn't playing, and we didn't need to make the move for cap space. As others have already said, it was a move for a roster spot more than anything. It'll get more interesting when we need the roster spot and the cap space.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Do you have a source which states that? Really don't think that's how it works. His actual salary will be prorated but I don't think his cap hit would be. Haven't been able to find anything conclusive on it though.

Wings paid half of his salary & cap hit. The do not lose their part of the cap hit when trading someone mid season

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
So what does it mean when EVERY player you put on waivers doesn't get claimed Kenny?

You could say that to every GM in the league...almost nobody ever gets claimed off waivers.

If you're getting guys claimed off of waivers, generally that means you just made a mistake.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Solid move. He didn't seem to live up to the expectations.

That's a bad thing?

Kenny just can't catch a break. If guys clear, he's done a horrible job of signing useless plugs that no other team wants. If they don't clear, he's done a horrible job of mismanaging assets. :laugh:

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
You mean the dead weight that he hoarded and chose to keep around, that created the problem in the 1st place?

Then yes, it's absolutely a shock.

Creating space for the guys who stepped up? If I remember correctly we started the season with Tatar in the press box, and with Nyquist in GR. So that we could roll out an opening night lineup that consisted of Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Sammy.

Now it's to the point that all these kids are playing, and making him look so dumb that he didn't clear space for them, that it's forced his hand.

Think of all the free cap space if we started the season with Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Sheahan on the roster and traded/waived/didn't sign Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Eaves. That's $5 million of free cap space.

It's gawd awful cap management. Anyone who has followed this team could have told you Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Eaves have very little to offer at this point in their careers. I like Eaves the best out of that bunch but he was waived and no one claimed him. If we were to waive Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco or Sheahan would someone claim them?

They sure as hell would. At least Holland has been forced through his own ineptitude of creating meaningless "depth" to begin brooming the players who add absolutely nothing to the team so that guys who can help us make the playoffs can stay in Detroit.

It's about damn time. :shakehead

rx7dryver

Apr 11, 2009
You could say that to every GM in the league...almost nobody ever gets claimed off waivers.

If you're getting guys claimed off of waivers, generally that means you just made a mistake.

COUGH!!! Kyle Quincey! COUGH!

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Quincey has been massively improving lately and waiving him at this point wouldn't be a good idea.

Yeah, Quincey is definitely showing signs of life. It's probably due to being paired up with DeKeyser. So while I don't think waiving Q is the way to go - Kindl is the only d-man who should be on his way out right this second - I'd be hesitant to keep Q beyond this year if a rookie d-man is making him look serviceable.

NewHopeForEveryone

Mar 24, 2011
i"ve heard that Edmonton needs some "veteran presence" :sarcasm:

and it seems management made something like an early half-year report and started moving guys with Fx grade

brace yourself...roster spots and cap space are coming :laugh:

Aug 6, 2012
Solid move. He didn't seem to live up to the expectations.

That's a bad thing?

Kenny just can't catch a break. If guys clear, he's done a horrible job of signing useless plugs that no other team wants. If they don't clear, he's done a horrible job of mismanaging assets. :laugh:

Yes it's a bad thing, it shows that he signed useless plugs that nobody else wants even for free. If they're claimed everyone around here would be ecstatic because the kids would get a spot.

Quincey has been massively improving lately and waiving him at this point wouldn't be a good idea.

KFQ always has good stretches for a few games. He'll regress back to his terrible play soon unfortunately.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Do you have a source which states that? Really don't think that's how it works. His actual salary will be prorated but I don't think his cap hit would be. Haven't been able to find anything conclusive on it though.

The source would be the CBA, but here's a link to the NYR capgeek page to give you an idea of what the cap implications are when a player is traded: http://capgeek.com/rangers/tracker/

Look at Kevin Klein. In a vacuum, his cap hit is $2.9M, but this season, his cap cost to the Rangers overall salary will be roughly $1.2M.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada
Not entirely surprised by this. He wasn't playing, and we didn't need to make the move for cap space. As others have already said, it was a move for a roster spot more than anything. It'll get more interesting when we need the roster spot and the cap space.

and thats what I wanna see kenny deal with

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Think of all the free cap space if we started the season with Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco and Sheahan on the roster and traded/waived/didn't sign Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Eaves. That's $5 million of free cap space.

It's gawd awful cap management. Anyone who has followed this team could have told you Cleary, Sammy, Bert and Eaves have very little to offer at this point in their careers. I like Eaves the best out of that bunch but he was waived and no one claimed him. If we were to waive Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco or Sheahan would someone claim them?

They sure as hell would. At least Holland has been forced through his own ineptitude of creating meaningless "depth" to begin brooming the players who add absolutely nothing to the team so that guys who can help us make the playoffs can stay in Detroit.

It's about damn time. :shakehead

And how exactly do we use that 5 million in cap space without trading some of those young guys we all want in the line-up?

Also, what do we do when we have a rash of injuries like we've had this year...you can only break in so many rookies at a time.

Pulkinnen has put up decent #'s in Grand Rapids this year but I doubt he's ready for the NHL, Callahan might be worth a look but I doubt he's much of an upgrade on either 3, and after that there's a huge drop off as far as players ready for NHL duties.

Holland can't win...when he doesn't use his cap space he's criticized for leaving it free and when he does use it he gets flak because he doesn't use it how some fans wanted it spent.

Dexter Colt

Oct 29, 2007
Mendham, NJ
Yes it's a bad thing, it shows that he signed useless plugs that nobody else wants even for free. If they're claimed everyone around here would be ecstatic because the kids would get a spot.
I hope I'm not derailing this thread too far, but I kinda hope we see one of those waivers this season, too. I have my suspicion that it'll be a case of a lost late round pick instead of the simple joy of a kid getting a spot. Until then, agree to disagree?

We should just have a designated Holland/Babcock hatefest-thread (if we do, please link) where I could take this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad