Waived: Mikael Samuelsson

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It's good that they acutally see which players that acutally is effective out there, and a lot of them is our not-so-long-ago AHL'ers.

Detroit Sports*

no one is going to claim him. jokinen went thought last year (yeah he had extra year on his deal but still), klesla went through etc

he's been benched so AHL callups can play, makes 3 mil this year and can't get ice-time on a borderline playoff team.

seriously, no one is going to take him.

99.9% sure of that.

This. This news sounds awesome on the surface but no one wants our junk.(I hope I am wrong)

Electric Thunder

Jul 19, 2011
Oklahoma
How I feel right now can only be described via .gif.

tumblr_mzz4z3KRcW1rhz08uo1_250.gif

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
that's correct. another move is needed when datsyuk comes back.

i don't see them waiving cleary.

Jurco will likely be sent down, and rightfully so. He was brought up for an offensive punch and it was players like Datsyuk and Franzen and Alfie who were out of the lineup. Once they're back, the bottom 6 is where Glendening and hopefully Sheahan will continue to play.

And wow is it great to hear that Franzen replaces Cleary in the lineup. Babcock is actually rewarding his players based on play as both the Glendening unit and the Sheahan unit have played big roles in recent wins.

If Weiss returns is when it'll get interesting. Eaves or Sheahan are the likely moves. Do they send Sheahan down or do they move him to wing because they view him as more valuable at the moment? We'll see.

And I forgot about Andy. So does that mean both Eaves and Sheahan would need to be sent down to make room? And cap gurus out there?

dtones520

Jun 10, 2008
Midland, MI
The cap is calculated on a day-to-day basis. I believe his cap the rest of the season is under $1.5 million and that is what a team would be on the hook for. It wouldn't make sense for his entire $3 million cap hit to count now that over half the season has been played.

It's all relative though, less than half the season remains for all the players and teams so their payroll is calculated the same. A $3 million player is still a $3million cap hit. The team only has to pay the remainder of the $1.5 million though.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
IIRC, and assuming its still the same as it was under the previous CBA, salaries are calculated based on the number of days in the NHL season. Don't feel like doing the math, but a rough estimate is that any team who claimed Samuelsson would only need $1.4M in cap space.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
Never thought I'd see this day. :amazed:

It would be really, really hard to ignore how well some of our kids have been doing in the NHL. Hustle, skill, a nose for the net? Very happy.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
It's all relative though, less than half the season remains for all the players and teams so their payroll is calculated the same. A $3 million player is still a $3million cap hit. The team only has to pay the remainder of the $1.5 million though.

No it isn't. Samuelsson's cap hit will be pro-rated.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
No it isn't. Samuelsson's cap hit will be pro-rated.

Do you have a source which states that? Really don't think that's how it works. His actual salary will be prorated but I don't think his cap hit would be. Haven't been able to find anything conclusive on it though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad