Waived: Mikael Samuelsson

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It is really probably down to the business side of things and parts that we cannot possibly understand. Sheahan is being sent to play during the break and really that is a good thing considering how hot he is, keep it going. Jurco is obviously over on team Slovakia, though with Weiss return I always assumed Jurco would be back down at some point.

I am pretty sure the players are being paid during the Olympic break, that means their salary figures and daily cap roll during the break. We save next to nothing on the cap with Sammy down at 100K break, with 2.9 still coming on the cap. Sheahan and Jurco both cost a little over 700K. Really one of the bigger mistakes wasn't optioning Glendening down for just a game to keep him eligible at that level at some point in the last two months so we could save an addition 500K.

It is all a moving picture, I do expect Sheahan back and really I think should we make the playoffs where rosters expand Jurco will be back as well. Rough on the Griffins but my guess is that is the plan. What you saw today is the complex nature of the cap, really it would be stupid for them not to do it.

Now we can plunge into our usual discussion of signing some of these guys was stupid anyway. However, this move is very smart with the contracts we already have and in terms of Riley playing hockey during the break anyway, sucks for him because he is losing money to swap out an NHL paycheck for the next couple weeks for an AHL one but it makes sense why the Wings are doing this. We save 1.3 million over the next two weeks doing it in calculations.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
So are we basically setting our selves up for disaster after the olympic break? I just dont understand why this is happening? or is it to get those kids playing time. (I've never made a thread on this forum so if I wasn't supposed to make a thread like this sorry)

It's a paper move in the case of Jurco and Sammy. Sammy has been a scratch down in GR and Jurco is playing in the Olympics, so sending Jurco down probably has something to do with service time or payroll or something.

In the case of Sheahan he was send down so he can play during the break instead of sitting home.

Peter Tosh

Dec 19, 2007
Healthy scratch in GR or LTIR in Detroit. I guess Sammy choose the path of least resistance once again. This time, for once, it's actually beneficial for the team.

crashman

Is that real news? Sammy going to LTIR?

I think it's just wishful thinking at this point. I agree though, it would be a good thing for sure. I think he's going to play in Europe next year for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad