Microsoft Xbox Discussion Part II

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I loved Battletoads and have had a good time with Outriders.

Ori launched on GP last year. I expect Battlefield to join GP soon after launch once they realize launching a $70 multiplayer only game was a mistake with Warzone and Halo multiplayer being free.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
The Outer Worlds and Gears 5 were day 1 and were perfectly good games, MLB the show as well
I completely forgot about Outer World's yes that and Gears 5 were excellent I do have to give full credit. The Medium was also actually okay. Still there's been just a ton of really bad or average day 1 games that got word of mouth purely through being day 1 games. I also forgot about about Bleeding Edge. I can't even say if it's good or not because nobody would touch it had like zero playerbase even on Day1.

Though maybe that's kind of a good thing it speaks to the power of services like this. I mean Falcon and the winter soldier is one of the worst shows Ive ever seen and it was like THE show while it had its run on Disney plus.

Edit: oh I've been meaning to say, I've been playing mass effect 1 on Xbox back compat and I've been blown away by the lighting I cant believe this is a 2007 console game. The shadows and lighting on characters faces is so good even in 2021.

On the flipside, I'm blown away by how bad the default film grain is. I'm actually wondering if this game was developed on CRT monitors or something and it looks different with those displays because I can't imagine thinking that actually looks good on a HD TV

Last edited:

AllAbout813

Oct 8, 2007
Tampa, FL
I still cannot find one of these Xbox Series X. Am I doing something wrong? Every day I wake up and check Walmart and the other sites and nothing. And when I have found Walmart (last time a month ago) I can’t even add the time to my cart. Bizarre they haven’t produced more of these by this point.
And 4 months later, I finally got one. I would check target randomly in the morning at work around 8:30, and yesterday it finally showed my store as having 1 in stock that I could pick up. I am hearing in general they are getting easier to find out in the wild.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
And 4 months later, I finally got one. I would check target randomly in the morning at work around 8:30, and yesterday it finally showed my store as having 1 in stock that I could pick up. I am hearing in general they are getting easier to find out in the wild.

How much did you end up paying for it?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
I know there are people who are adamant that Conkers Bad Fur Day ONLY works with Banjo and Kazooie graphics but man the Xbox OG version is visually so good you could almost confuse it for a 360 game.

Also Rare made so many visually interesting games during this time period, Conker, Ghoulies, Nuts and Bolts, Viva Pinata, Kameo, which I honestly think could come out today and still look really good.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I completely forgot about Outer World's yes that and Gears 5 were excellent I do have to give full credit. The Medium was also actually okay. Still there's been just a ton of really bad or average day 1 games that got word of mouth purely through being day 1 games. I also forgot about about Bleeding Edge. I can't even say if it's good or not because nobody would touch it had like zero playerbase even on Day1.

Though maybe that's kind of a good thing it speaks to the power of services like this. I mean Falcon and the winter soldier is one of the worst shows Ive ever seen and it was like THE show while it had its run on Disney plus.

Edit: oh I've been meaning to say, I've been playing mass effect 1 on Xbox back compat and I've been blown away by the lighting I cant believe this is a 2007 console game. The shadows and lighting on characters faces is so good even in 2021.

On the flipside, I'm blown away by how bad the default film grain is. I'm actually wondering if this game was developed on CRT monitors or something and it looks different with those displays because I can't imagine thinking that actually looks good on a HD TV

Wasteland 3 is another good candidate that (I believe) was day one game pass.

There have also been some darn solid indies.

Xbox is still playing catchup with first party games, but damn if they don't have an impressive studio lineup to help them get there.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
FIFA sourcecode was among the ones stolen in the EA hack. You might run into "surprises" online.

Haha, fair. Honestly, I doubt I'll ever play online. I'd just be to mess around in career mode and play on the coach or online with IRL friends who are big soccer and FIFA fans.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
I turn the dualsense features off most of the time in 3rd party games. They're not particularly well-implemented, and more annoying than anything. They're very cool in Sony 1st party games thus far.

I'm honestly happy with my Xbox Elite 2. I'd still rank it above the Dualsense as the best controller on the market for any platform.
Ya first party games are always going to implement the features better. Nonetheless, its still a great controller. I've always wanted to pick up an Elite Controller buy always hear horror stories of them braking down rather quickly. Don't want to spend that kind of money on something that wont last. Of course YMMV but I don't want to take that risk.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
They kind of suck in first party games too. Demon's Souls uses it for shooting arrows and it feels awful. It feels bad with ratchet and Clank on a lot of the guns too. The only game that did it really good was Returnal with the dual press trigger mechanic, but that's something the GameCube had years ago.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Do any of you guys actually play with the paddles on the Xbox elite controller?

Yep.

Just two of them though, not all four.

I use them to shift gears up and down in racing games, and typically use them for jump and crouch in FPS games (Halo, Destiny, TitanFall, Overwatch, etc). For less mobile FPS games like COD or Battlefield, I sometimes use the jump paddle for reload or weapon swap, or some other function I use more often than jump.

Honestly, I find it really hard not having them when I play those genres on Playstation. Sometimes I even broke out the Brooks adapter and use my Xbox Elite controller on PS4 when I played FPS games with friends.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Do any of you guys actually play with the paddles on the Xbox elite controller?

Yep two of them. I use them for different options but usually jump and slide in shooters.

Halo being able to jump without moving your hands from the sticks is nice, of course, there is bumber jumper but this allows me to keep the stock set up

Reactions: x Tame Impala

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Highly recommend playing the Touryst before it leaves gamepass. One of the best looking and sounding games I've ever played, full of style great puzzles, looking forward to the sequel hopefully.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad