Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't know much about the draft, but I know this morning they wound up with two players they profiled to pick with the 38th pick. Grabbing the kid out of LSU that deep is incredible and the tOSU catcher is a legit athlete, played center as a freshman, so intriguing tools.

Cannot say I watch the sport super close anymore, but looks like a bunch of college guys they might be able to fast-track to the majors thus far.

Honestly, I follow what I can but it's just too sprawling for me to really dig into outside of the top guys where the Tigers are likely picking. I then go digging after I know who the Tigers grabbed.

The Tigers big arms are only a year or so away, so getting some bats who can (hopefully) come up quickly has to be imperative for them. I see some people questioning Cabrera's power, but no one questions his ability to hit...and it makes me wonder, have these people seen CoPa? Not a lot of guys are going to be big homerun hitters there. Give me a guy who can flat out hit, but not necessarily jack it, every day for that park.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I don't know much about the draft, but I know this morning they wound up with two players they profiled to pick with the 38th pick. Grabbing the kid out of LSU that deep is incredible and the tOSU catcher is a legit athlete, played center as a freshman, so intriguing tools.

Cannot say I watch the sport super close anymore, but looks like a bunch of college guys they might be able to fast-track to the majors thus far.

It’s the first time at any point I can actually see the vision of Avila. He chased the big time arms and gave them time to develop and progress through the minors, and now he’s just sprinkling in the lower maintenance college bats, which take a lot less time to cultivate and move through the system.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
. I see some people questioning Cabrera's power, but no one questions his ability to hit...and it makes me wonder, have these people seen CoPa? Not a lot of guys are going to be big homerun hitters there. Give me a guy who can flat out hit, but not necessarily jack it, every day for that park.

Heard that, hermano. That's what makes Cabby's triple crown so special. Comerica is a notoriously unfriendly park for deep ball hitters.

He likely would have gotten back to back triple crowns if Chris Davis didn't play in that little league home run derby park.

Reactions: Winger98

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Before the draft, I was hoping for Dingler or Cabrera being available at #38, but assumed that both would be taken by then. After Day 1, I was so hell bent on Dingler, that I became immediately angry when the announcement of the pick did not start with "Dil", but with "Cat"...

On paper, you have to love this draft haul. I value the hit tool the most, and only Workman does not have an at least solid grade on that (albeit good grades on all the other tools). The draftees would also round up the upper prospect ranks quite well positionally.

After reading so much about the pitching depth, I would have liked to see a pitcher. But the write-ups even of the better-ranked ones often projected ceilings as mid-rotation starters and often reliever risks. With their strong track record of developing pitchers, the Tigers may hopefully sign one or two interesting UDFAs, i.e. MSU RHP Mason Erla.

Keith should be a tough sign as fifth-rounder. But Tigers executive Pleis already stated that he will be signed and Keithn himself posted something on Twitter as if he already were a part of the Tigers' organisation - so I am keeping my hopes up.

If one wants to get even more delusional, you could dream of a lineup almost completely full of at least solid hitters where the Tigers' aggressive defensive destinations somehow work. I know it will not work out that way, but I enjoy it just for now:

CF Greene
3B Paredes
LF Torkelson
1B Packard (my favourite darkhorse prospect)
DH M. Cabrera
RF D. Cabrera
C Dingler
SS Workman
2B Cruz

Gruß,
BSHH

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think the Tigers are killing it here. They are having a nice draft, looking to take advantage of other teams rumored to be trying to be a bit cheaper with their drafts.

Sounds like their 5th round pick could be an absolute steal as well. I know right after the draft its impossibleto judge them but even the 97.1 guys arent complaining right now. Basically anyone that talks baseball is saying the Tigers killed it this draft. They needed bats bad and they got them.

Ive also been reading more about Torkelson and some scouts are saying hes the best bat in 20 years? I knew he was a legit first overall typ pick but now its starting to sound more and more like his bat is borderline generational

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Sounds like their 5th round pick could be an absolute steal as well. I know right after the draft its impossibleto judge them but even the 97.1 guys arent complaining right now. Basically anyone that talks baseball is saying the Tigers killed it this draft. They needed bats bad and they got them.

Ive also been reading more about Torkelson and some scouts are saying hes the best bat in 20 years? I knew he was a legit first overall typ pick but now its starting to sound more and more like his bat is borderline generational

I thought the comparison to Kris Bryant if he sticks at third was very high praise.

And the comparison to Pete Alonso is nice for a 1B. I would happily accept a higher average and trade away some power that Alonso carries though. Miggy is a good example of how much value there is being a plus-plus contact guy with complementary power rather than the opposite combo when you play 81 games in CoPa.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Trek Cruz the first of the Tigers draft picks to sign...went almost 50 grand over slot...which is surprising

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
The squabbling between Clark and Manfred is killing my interest in baseball. I took 3 years off after '94. My patience is thin and I care less and less about MLB as each day passes. Tork has been a silver lining. For now at least.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
The squabbling between Clark and Manfred is killing my interest in baseball. I took 3 years off after '94. My patience is thin and I care less and less about MLB as each day passes. Tork has been a silver lining. For now at least.
I did the same. I was only 9/10 and I went to baseball games all the time. I was too young to understand why I couldn't go, which actually turned hockey from my second sport into my first sport to watch and attend.

Baseball needs to bring back PEDs, it was a lot more fun then.

Reactions: FabricDetails

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I did the same. I was only 9/10 and I went to baseball games all the time. I was too young to understand why I couldn't go, which actually turned hockey from my second sport into my first sport to watch and attend.

The Sosa/McGwire race was unreal, peak sports. Like some of the best I've experienced in my life. And I was never all that into baseball.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

The Sosa/McGwire race was unreal, peak sports. Like some of the best I've experienced in my life. And I was never all that into baseball.

1h2w1V0.gif

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Now only Boras' boys Torkelson and Cabrera are yet to sign. Both have expressed their interest to join the Tigers.

Gruß,
BSHH

Really don't like having to deal with Boras on this, especially since he seemed to be kicking up a bunch of dust before the draft about the Tigers looking at someone other than Tork at first overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad