Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's why the Lions keep drafting them I guess... You know, quality organization that we are... Real thinkers.

I say this actually liking Swift, but man we have spent some draft capital in some strange ways over the years. It is strange to watch your team do this, I just think Packers fans aren't used to that... A lot of us I think are on this forum that are stuck rooting for the Lions.

I mean, be a little bit fair with this on at least Jahvid Best. Guy was an absolute game-breaker. Yeah, probably red flags due to concussions from Cal, but Best was a hit who got injured. He was no Mikel Leshoure, Ameer Abdullah, or Kevin Jones.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'll start out the "Let's crap on the Lions/talk about how good their season will be", now that the schedule is out.

The over/under is 6.5. I think that's fair based on the offense being able to move the ball, even with a back up qb last year. And this is assuming Stafford stays healthy. The defense is a disaster that I don't really think it has improved enough to expect them to steal games.

I'll go with 6 wins on the strength of Stafford and Bevell. I can't possibly have any more hope than that after watching Pencil Boy lose to a rookie Sam Darnold and lose to the Skins...the effing Skins! last year (and that unseemly tie with the Cards).

If Stafford stays healthy I think they go over that 6.5 wins. I think with a healthy Stafford the Lions have a solid shot at the division too though. They were playing some really good football before he got hurt. They've got a completely new interior defense line which will be improved (because it couldnt get worse than last year) and I think overall, Okudah and Trufant is an upgrade to the secondary this year especially with Slay not poisoning the secondary. I dont think winning the division will be easy, but I dont think Green bay improved at all at the draft. They drafted 3 guys who will see limited to no playing time with their first three picks.

I think a healthy Stafford could comfortably get them to 8-8 but depending on some bounces could win maybe 10 games the way he was playing last year.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Looks like Scott Boras is trying to convince the Tigers to pass on the Top 2 hitters...his clients...and take Lacy the Top LHP in the draft

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Looks like Scott Boras is trying to convince the Tigers to pass on the Top 2 hitters...his clients...and take Lacy the Top LHP in the draft

I doubt that happens. Seems like Torkelson is the guy everyone thinks should go first and hes at a position of weakness for the Tigers. I was reading a mock the other day saying a lot of people think hes the best college bat since Texiera all the way back in 2001. Not that Detroit is "set" on pitching prospects but its a huge strength of the organisation. I wouldnt be surpried if they went Martin over Torkelson, but Lacy would surprise me

Reactions: Winger98

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I doubt that happens. Seems like Torkelson is the guy everyone thinks should go first and hes at a position of weakness for the Tigers. I was reading a mock the other day saying a lot of people think hes the best college bat since Texiera all the way back in 2001. Not that Detroit is "set" on pitching prospects but its a huge strength of the organisation. I wouldnt be surpried if they went Martin over Torkelson, but Lacy would surprise me

I read somewhere that one of the main contentions is the analytics crowd doesn't value picking a 1st baseman there. Like how hockey goalies have just become harder to pick way up the board. They don't have that kind of value to a team, even the really good ones. We will see.

Power arms from SEC country are a Tigers thing.

By no means an expert on the draft, they also do strange things in terms of saving slot money and other stuff. Maybe we have someone that is a draft junky and understands the MLB draft, I just read it here and there from time to time. It sounded to me like four guys were in play, two pitchers and the two Boris guys.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I read somewhere that one of the main contentions is the analytics crowd doesn't value picking a 1st baseman there. Like how hockey goalies have just become harder to pick way up the board. They don't have that kind of value to a team, even the really good ones. We will see.

Power arms from SEC country are a Tigers thing.

By no means an expert on the draft, they also do strange things in terms of saving slot money and other stuff. Maybe we have someone that is a draft junky and understands the MLB draft, I just read it here and there from time to time. It sounded to me like four guys were in play, two pitchers and the two Boris guys.
Lacy would be nice...especially to add another Lefty to go with Norris and Skubal but I’d be shocked if it’s not Torkelson...also with only 5 rounds pitching is extremely deep in this years draft

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I've read that the Tigers are starting to think Torkelson could actually be a corner outfielder and that he has played the outfield well in the past. If thats the case I think hes a no brainer. If they think theres a chance he could even fill in out there if they need him (ala Delmon Young) hes the clear top guy I think.

A lot of people are saying Martin isnt that great defensively actually and is probably a second basemen at the MLB level as well. After Riley Green looking really good in the outfield this past year I think it may give them more confidence in Torkelson being able to do it. I'll be surprised if he isnt the pick at this point

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Will be interesting to see if the Tigers will take any High School players with signings going to be tricky

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I've read that the Tigers are starting to think Torkelson could actually be a corner outfielder and that he has played the outfield well in the past. If thats the case I think hes a no brainer. If they think theres a chance he could even fill in out there if they need him (ala Delmon Young) hes the clear top guy I think.

A lot of people are saying Martin isnt that great defensively actually and is probably a second basemen at the MLB level as well. After Riley Green looking really good in the outfield this past year I think it may give them more confidence in Torkelson being able to do it. I'll be surprised if he isnt the pick at this point

Announced him as a third baseman, which would be a lot more value at #1 if he can hack it in the field.

I don’t believe it, I think he’s destined for first, but it definitely won’t hurt to try it out

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Announced him as a third baseman, which would be a lot more value at #1 if he can hack it in the field.

I don’t believe it, I think he’s destined for first, but it definitely won’t hurt to try it out

Well there was all kinds of talk about him being athletic enough to play the outfield and that hes really good on the basepaths. Hes not just some Prince Fielder mashing 40 a year stuck at first. I wouldnt be surprised if he could handle a switch to third, Miggy did it.

The Motor City Tork Wrench went 4 picks ahead of of Martin, I knew there was something off with him

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Seems a lot of pundits think he can step in and play right away. I'd give it a shot.

I think especially if the season is shortened and theres a chance the minors arent playing he should play. A short season gives less time for the grind to wear him down and if he has nowhere else to play anyways its obvious he should be up with the team

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Jared Kelley...Daniel Cabrera or Blaze Jordan please....Jordan would be some more Power to add with Tork

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Jared Kelley...Daniel Cabrera or Blaze Jordan please....Jordan would be some more Power to add with Tork

I dont follow baseball close enough to know for sure whats going on but Kelley was the 12th ranked prospect in the draft. There must be something scaring teams off that fans dont know about or something

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I dont follow baseball close enough to know for sure whats going on but Kelley was the 12th ranked prospect in the draft. There must be something scaring teams off that fans dont know about or something
Probably going to college...surprised if that was the case he didn’t pull out of the draft. I know at least 1 second rounder did so. Will be interesting to see what’s up. Blaze Jordan’s body makeup reminds me of a white Prince Fielder. There’s a High School Lefty available who was the 2nd rated HS Pitcher.Some shortstops available too

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think the Tigers are killing it here. They are having a nice draft, looking to take advantage of other teams rumored to be trying to be a bit cheaper with their drafts.

I don't know much about the draft, but I know this morning they wound up with two players they profiled to pick with the 38th pick. Grabbing the kid out of LSU that deep is incredible and the tOSU catcher is a legit athlete, played center as a freshman, so intriguing tools.

Cannot say I watch the sport super close anymore, but looks like a bunch of college guys they might be able to fast-track to the majors thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce