Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
How much different do you think Sheila is from Martha?

My vague sneak diss of the day...

395px-From_the_depths_-_Wm._Balfour-Ker._LCCN2004666561.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I saw somewhere that Tork will be the first 1OA signed above slot? And then there was a lot of crazy gibberish about avoiding different levels of taxation on overages and losing the following year's first, that I guess the Tigers are avoiding by literally only tens of thousands.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I didnt pay attention a whole bunch this season, but I'm surprised to see Faedo as below average? Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me with the colours or something.

Most of what I saw had Faedo re-establishing himself and having a good year. Not sure guys like Wentz or Cameron did more, and Perez was hurt all year (again). Also, if it's really on potential, Skubal belongs in that top group. The guy might not ever find the strike zone enough to make it, but his potential is huge.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Care to elaborate? I know they have a couple of first rounders on the team, but I don't know much else about them.
It’s a young team so idk how good they will be.
Cam York
Jacob Truscott
Owen Power

Johnny Beecher
Thomas Bordeleau
Brendan Brisson
Kent Johnson

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It’s a young team so idk how good they will be.
Cam York
Jacob Truscott
Owen Power

Johnny Beecher
Thomas Bordeleau
Brendan Brisson
Kent Johnson

The recruiting pipeline has not dried up with the torch being passed to Pearson. He did a great job last year molding the somewhat questionable team he had into a cohesive unit. I really thought they were poised to make the playoffs and maybe play spoiler in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

UM is definitely keeping themselves among the NCAA elite.

Last edited:
Reactions: martinez

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The recruiting pipeline has not dried up with the torch being passed to Pearson. He did a great job last year molding the somewhat questionable team he had into a cohesive unit. I really thought they were poised to make the playoffs and maybe play spoiler in the 1st or 2nd rounds.

UM is definitely keeping themselves among the NCAA elite.

They are must watch viewing next year, I will root for the other team and probably be disappointed most nights.:laugh:

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
They are must watch viewing next year, I will root for the other team and probably be disappointed most nights.:laugh:

At least Cole is inching your boys back to respectability (big job cleaning up the mess Anastos left). We should be having some real competitive GLIs in a couple years:thumbu:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
At least Cole is inching your boys back to respectability (big job cleaning up the mess Anastos left). We should be having some real competitive GLIs in a couple years:thumbu:

Going to wax nostalgic here, but...

How do MSU fans (@Sparty and @The Zetterberg Era and others) feel about the Rick Comley era? That guy was a legend at Northern Michigan. The program there has had nothing but setbacks since he left.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Going to wax nostalgic here, but...

How do MSU fans (@Sparty and @The Zetterberg Era and others) feel about the Rick Comley era? That guy was a legend at Northern Michigan. The program there has had nothing but setbacks since he left.

Comley had an up and down tenure at MSU, but I think he was a terrific hockey coach. Considering the shoes he had to fill, I always thought he did an exceptional job. He won a National Championship (Abdelkader with the GWG) so it is hard to dispute that. It was always a little disappointing with Mason moving into the AD slot that hockey wasn't a bigger priority to me at MSU. It should have been a sport they pumped more significantly for me. They have had a lot of talent over the years, but missed on some of the more celebrated guys. They need to figure out a way to get more consistent ins with the USMNTDP and bigger type players. I think they are recovering, but ultimately for a program with a lot of history they seem to have fallen off, they need to recapture that.

I had hoped the B1G would add more hockey teams, that the schools would join the movement. Of course with Covid that seems even more distant. But I really thought Northwestern and Illinois would add programs, Nebraska seemed interesting given the USHL feeders in their back-yard. I think MSU has been weakened by the breakup of the old CCHA actually hurt MSU that were more of a blue-blood in that system. The arrival of Wisconsin and Minnesota hurt their placement as they had more glory. I think without B1G expansion they are harmed, with B1G expansion I think they could gain a lot. We will see.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Comley had an up and down tenure at MSU, but I think he was a terrific hockey coach. Considering the shoes he had to fill, I always thought he did an exceptional job.

I'm happy to hear this. Comley was once passing by at one of my practices and told one of the hockey dad's that little goalie Bench was a "natural" at the position. It was at that moment my hockey career peaked.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
So, The Palace has been demolished today. Does anyone give a toss?

Personally, I couldn't stand the place. It had all the charm of a 80s megamall, was in the middle of nowhere and had a friggin' landfill towering behind it as a backdrop. Oh yeah, the PA/acoustics sucked as well. I was at the Bad Boys tribute game and everytime someone spoke it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ricelund

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'm happy to hear this. Comley was once passing by at one of my practices and told one of the hockey dad's that little goalie Bench was a "natural" at the position. It was at that moment my hockey career peaked.

Goalie, eh? Well, well, well....doesn't that explain someone's predilection for drafting Askarov?:sarcasm:

Kidding aside, I'll tip my hat to anyone that plays that masochistic position. I filled in one time because there wasn't a second goalie at my rec league. I wore archaic pads from the OSU intramural league that looked like something Gump Worsley wore early in his career. The team I faced had 2 dudes that played NCAA D1 and a guy that played junior B in Canada. I probably faced 70 or more shots that night. I was so exhausted I could barely drag my carcass to the locker room. I have nothing but respect for goalies after that lesson in humility.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Goalie, eh? Well, well, well....doesn't that explain someone's predilection for drafting Askarov?:sarcasm:

Kidding aside, I'll tip my hat to anyone that plays that masochistic position. I filled in one time because there wasn't a second goalie at my rec league. I wore archaic pads from the OSU intramural league that looked like something Gump Worsley wore early in his career. The team I faced had 2 dudes that played NCAA D1 and a guy that played junior B in Canada. I probably faced 70 or more shots that night. I was so exhausted I could barely drag my carcass to the locker room. I have nothing but respect for goalies after that lesson in humility.

My biases are well publicized, good sir! Part of my affection for Holland and Blashill stems directly from their time as goalies. I believe the position does lend itself a unique vantage point that career skaters have a blind spot.

And I'm not at all surprised by your experience. It mirrors my own.

Goaltending rec league is honestly harder than any competitive tournaments or state championships I participated in. When structure breaks down, the goalie suddenly becomes the most worked player on the ice. No surprise, I was asked often to fill in rec games, despite never actually joining the league, because goalies were always in demand.

I haven't skated in years, but if I did pick it up again for a beer league, I'd try my luck on the blueline, not the net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad