Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
MSU and UofM are ranked pretty high to start this season. i don't see either really contending for the 'Ship, but they should be entertaining this year at the very least!

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Pretty sure the Astros just proved that strategy can work out fine, but to each his own.

That’s irrelevant to what I was saying. Tigers are blatantly trying to be bad. Trading most any pieces who have any value and/or are making big money. The Wings and Pistons are not. They declined naturally as guys aged out or in the case of the Pistons by trying to trade for a superstar.

Regardless of whether or not it works, they should feel sorry that they’re deciding to suck on purpose.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
That’s irrelevant to what I was saying. Tigers are blatantly trying to be bad. Trading most any pieces who have any value and/or are making big money. The Wings and Pistons are not. They declined naturally as guys aged out or in the case of the Pistons by trying to trade for a superstar.

Regardless of whether or not it works, they should feel sorry that they’re deciding to suck on purpose.
And I think it's the best way to rebuild, especially in basketball and baseball. So I'd never ask for an apology from a team doing exactly what I'd do. The Pistons are the ones I could never support, considering the awful strategy they're using.

But again, to each their own.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish

I don't think there was much choice for The Tigs except to burn it to the ground. Dealin' Dave gutted the farm system to try and get Mike I a WS. I think Avila has done a much better job than he gets credit for restocking for the future.

What would the point have been keeping JV, J-Up,, et al? The team sucked with them and there was no hope of supplementing them with players that would get them over the top. And who have they traded that actually would be around when they are relevant again? Candellario,Jimenez, Fulmer and Castellanos are the only guys with value that potentially factor into the future and I'd trade the latter 2 in a heartbeat if the could return some prime position player prospects.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I don't think there was much choice for The Tigs except to burn it to the ground. Dealin' Dave gutted the farm system to try and get Mike I a WS. I think Avila has done a much better job than he gets credit for restocking for the future.

What would the point have been keeping JV, J-Up,, et al? The team sucked with them and there was no hope of supplementing them with players that would get them over the top. And who have they traded that actually would be around when they are relevant again? Candellario,Jimenez, Fulmer and Castellanos are the only guys with value that potentially factor into the future and I'd trade the latter 2 in a heartbeat if the could return some prime position player prospects.

There wouldn’t be a point. But if any team should be “apologizing” for a bad product, it should be the one willfully providing it.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
1-6 against your big three rivals. That chair should be scalding by years end as it would seem most likely to be 1-8.

I think he could still survive that, but man this has to be the last season Jim Harbaugh making 9 million dollars can get a pass for keeping the team on the same level as Hoke and still getting beat in the biggest games of the year.

Also that offense looked the same last night which was a big woof. So you have to think it is Harbaugh directing his OC to play that style, you had hoped with a new OC you might see a different approach but that was the same shockingly bad and unimaginative offense he has had his entire tenure.

If U of M fans are still happy to defend him go ahead. I guess as a MSU fan I should be happy for him to stay as long as he can since he doesn't seem to be changing much in terms of winning when it matters. But I really do think U of M deserves better than this. That weirdo khaki bully is going to have to do something different moving forward.

Reactions: RabidBadger

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
1-6 against your big three rivals. That chair should be scalding by years end as it would seem most likely to be 1-8.

I think he could still survive that, but man this has to be the last season Jim Harbaugh making 9 million dollars can get a pass for keeping the team on the same level as Hoke and still getting beat in the biggest games of the year.

Also that offense looked the same last night which was a big woof. So you have to think it is Harbaugh directing his OC to play that style, you had hoped with a new OC you might see a different approach but that was the same shockingly bad and unimaginative offense he has had his entire tenure.

If U of M fans are still happy to defend him go ahead. I guess as a MSU fan I should be happy for him to stay as long as he can since he doesn't seem to be changing much in terms of winning when it matters. But I really do think U of M deserves better than this. That weirdo khaki bully is going to have to do something different moving forward.

I dont think youll find any Michigan fans that are really going to defend him. I also dont know how good of a team come years end that loss was. Is Notre Dame legit? If so, losing by a touchdown, under the lights, on the road to start the season doesnt look too bad. If theyre a team that loses a few games and end up unranked/lower in the top 25, then its kinda unexcusable at this point.

That QB balled out pretty hard though for Notre Dame and I think you might be jumping the gun to say he'll be 1-8 against rivals at years end

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont think youll find any Michigan fans that are really going to defend him. I also dont know how good of a team come years end that loss was. Is Notre Dame legit? If so, losing by a touchdown, under the lights, on the road to start the season doesnt look too bad. If theyre a team that loses a few games and end up unranked/lower in the top 25, then its kinda unexcusable at this point.

That QB balled out pretty hard though for Notre Dame and I think you might be jumping the gun to say he'll be 1-8 against rivals at years end

Those games aren't A2 this year. I have a hard time seeing a guy that is still living off the USC upset as his last really big win rolling into a hostile B1G environment and winning.

Keep in mind the only time he did win a game against one of them was 3-9 implosion season at MSU. That is what it took for his one victory currently against a rival. A completely fractured MSU locker room. Hey maybe that happens, more likely is Jimbo tries the same 10 plays into the teeth of the defense and goes home in his khakis with another loss.

Still when this clown was hired you guys were talking National Championships, people at U of M should start being a lot more concerned with winning their division or hey maybe finishing second...

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Lions shaping up to be dead last in the NFC North. Bears getting Khalil Mack gives them a top five defense and their offense is competent.

Looking forward to listening to 97.1 every Monday.

I still think the Lions will never achieve any real success as long as a member of the Ford family owns the team.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Those games aren't A2 this year. I have a hard time seeing a guy that is still living off the USC upset as his last really big win rolling into a hostile B1G environment and winning.

Keep in mind the only time he did win a game against one of them was 3-9 implosion season at MSU. That is what it took for his one victory currently against a rival. A completely fractured MSU locker room. Hey maybe that happens, more likely is Jimbo tries the same 10 plays into the teeth of the defense and goes home in his khakis with another loss.

Still when this clown was hired you guys were talking National Championships, people at U of M should start being a lot more concerned with winning their division or hey maybe finishing second...

Yeah and the last 2 years every game with MSU has been close. We wouldnt be having this conversation without a fluke punt that happens 1% of the time or when last year Michigan finally got the offense rolling with the second string QB a monsoon came down. I'm not making excuses, losses are losses and Harbaugh needs to start putting some wins together.. but lets also not pretend MSU has been some dominant force that Michigan hasntbeen close with either. They've been close games that coulda went either way,

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Yeah and the last 2 years every game with MSU has been close. We wouldnt be having this conversation without a fluke punt that happens 1% of the time or when last year Michigan finally got the offense rolling with the second string QB a monsoon came down. I'm not making excuses, losses are losses and Harbaugh needs to start putting some wins together.. but lets also not pretend MSU has been some dominant force that Michigan hasntbeen close with either. They've been close games that coulda went either way,

I think we would be having this conversation even if UM was even with MSU. Harbaugh just doesn't do well in big games. He hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road and Ohio St. has had their way with them. I'm not sure other UM fans would be happy with Harbaugh's body of work even if he did win the two games you mentioned. The expectations were much higher than what he has accomplished.

You couldn't have watched the game against Notre Dame and not thought, "wtf?"

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I think we would be having this conversation even if UM was even with MSU. Harbaugh just doesn't do well in big games. He hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road and Ohio St. has had their way with them. I'm not sure other UM fans would be happy with Harbaugh's body of work even if he did win the two games you mentioned. The expectations were much higher than what he has accomplished.

You couldn't have watched the game against Notre Dame and not thought, "wtf?"

I dont disagree with you, my post was more directed at the part where TZE said theyre likely to be 1-8. Is it likely they lose on a fluke like that punt 2 years ago? Or a monsoon hits? Those games could have went either way.

Harbaugh seems to be missing something to putting this team over the top though. Those 2 MSU games plus the double OT to Ohio State games all could've easily went either way but its like he cant hit that next level for some reason. Not sure what it is but hes generally right there in all these games and missing some ingredient.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I dont disagree with you, my post was more directed at the part where TZE said theyre likely to be 1-8. Is it likely they lose on a fluke like that punt 2 years ago? Or a monsoon hits? Those games could have went either way.

Harbaugh seems to be missing something to putting this team over the top though. Those 2 MSU games plus the double OT to Ohio State games all could've easily went either way but its like he cant hit that next level for some reason. Not sure what it is but hes generally right there in all these games and missing some ingredient.

MSU was up and doing better before the Monsoon. I think that helped U of M make that closer. MSU was the only team with a legit QB in that game. Harbaugh lining up to punt is a part of why you find yourself where you are. He wasn't prepared and his kids weren't prepared. It is a hallmark of Harbaugh teams at the collegiate level in big games to date.

Fluke plays are going to happen. We can only judge based on what actually did happen. I think a lot of people would laugh hysterically if MSU fans argued well if only Connor Cook was actually healthy when they made the playoffs. No they got beat it is what happened. I am tired of the excuses being made for Harbaugh. He isn't outperforming Hoke at all at this point. He is 9-9 in their last 18 games. He hasn't won a big game. U of M hasn't won a B1G title since 2003. Yet I am being told about National Championship caliber teams every off-season. Since Dantonio arrived U of M is clearly the second best program in their own state. Again you want to qualify which wins count, beating the MSU 3-9 Malik McDowell team isn't a big deal. That is his one rivalry win at U of M. So your punt game can come over but likely if the best player on that team isn't rumored to have imploded the locker room do they win that. You can always qualify things to make the argument better, but ultimately the end results are how you're judged. I guess we will see in October but U of M didn't look capable of winning a tough road game the other night and yes I think MSU is better than ND.

For the record I mostly blame Llyod Carr for your downfall anyway. What he has done to the program is really awful, his feud with Miles after years of squandering talented rosters was really bad for U of M. He blocked him with Rich Rod and refusal to not have an office in the football building. It was a bizarre sequence where Michigan Men betrayed the university over a personal vendetta in my opinion.

Last edited:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
MSU was up and doing better before the Monsoon. I think that helped U of M make that closer. MSU was the only team with a legit QB in that game. Harbaugh lining up to punt is a part of why you find yourself where you are. He wasn't prepared and his kids weren't prepared. It is a hallmark of Harbaugh teams at the collegiate level in big games to date.

Fluke plays are going to happen. We can only judge based on what actually did happen. I think a lot of people would laugh hysterically if MSU fans argued well if only Connor Cook was actually healthy when they made the playoffs. No they got beat it is what happened. I am tired of the excuses being made for Harbaugh. He isn't outperforming Hoke at all at this point. He is 9-9 in their last 18 games. He hasn't won a big game. U of M hasn't won a B1G title since 2003. Yet I am being told about National Championship caliber teams every off-season. Since Dantonio arrived U of M is clearly the second best program in their own state. Again you want to qualify which wins count, beating the MSU 3-9 Malik McDowell team isn't a big deal. That is his one rivalry win at U of M. So your punt game can come over but likely if the best player on that team isn't rumored to have imploded the locker room do they win that. You can always qualify things to make the argument better, but ultimately the end results are how you're judged. I guess we will see in October but U of M didn't look capable of winning a tough road game the other night and yes I think MSU is better than ND.

For the record I mostly blame Llyod Carr for your downfall anyway. What he has done to the program is really awful, his feud with Miles after years of squandering talented rosters was really bad for U of M. He blocked him with Rich Rod and refusal to not have an office in the football building. It was a bizarre sequence where Michigan Men betrayed the university over a personal vendetta in my opinion.

The difference between arguing about Connor Cooks health is that that playoff game isnt close. MSU literally won on the last play of the game on a completely fluke play. I'm not sitting here saying Harbaugh has done well or anything. I'm literally only saying that the MSU games have been ridiculously close and could have went either way, its getting ahead of yourself to write those Michigan games off as losses this year before theyre played. Thats it. I'm not saying Harbaugh has been good in rivalry games, but your original post basically wrote off MSU as a for sure win. Michigan was coming on and actually moving the ball when the rain hit, and it was a one score game, the other game was a fluke punt play that wont happen again for 30 years.

If you want to count those as sure wins going forward sure,but I'm sure you werent so confident at the time of those games being played. Dont count your chickens before they hatch

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The difference between arguing about Connor Cooks health is that that playoff game isnt close. MSU literally won on the last play of the game on a completely fluke play. I'm not sitting here saying Harbaugh has done well or anything. I'm literally only saying that the MSU games have been ridiculously close and could have went either way, its getting ahead of yourself to write those Michigan games off as losses this year before theyre played. Thats it. I'm not saying Harbaugh has been good in rivalry games, but your original post basically wrote off MSU as a for sure win. Michigan was coming on and actually moving the ball when the rain hit, and it was a one score game, the other game was a fluke punt play that wont happen again for 30 years.

If you want to count those as sure wins going forward sure,but I'm sure you werent so confident at the time of those games being played. Dont count your chickens before they hatch

He hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road in a long time. He is going to play a ranked team in East Lansing. So historically that is a loss. If they win I will tip my cap, it would be surprising. I don't think they are as good as MSU this year and if they are it is razor thin and covered by a coach that consistently wins tight games versus the guy that struggles in them along with the home field bump.

You never know until they play the game. But I think they should be road dogs and Harbaugh winning would be a surprise. The only one I can even think of is the Stanford vs USC upset. I mean that was in 2007 at this point. I am not sure why I wouldn't be confident. Again if U of M was to win I would consider it a pretty big upset. Hopefully MSU #1 corner is back for that game though. That could be a big problem for MSU tonight though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad