Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Errrr. Yeah, so as a Packers fan, get back to me in a few years. It's pretty clear the new management is building an entirely new offense that is no longer pass first. Spending our top draft assets on a QB when Rodgers is still performing at a really high level is tough to swallow.

In terms of great drafts, from a team that didn't get to pick super early, I think the Ravens are one of the smartest drafting teams in the league. And I hate to say it, but I think the Vikings did well too.

But early draft winners are rarely the real winners. Teams like the Patriots never dazzle at the draft yet always find guys that fit their system and fill a need for two damn decades.

As stated, I'm a very casual Nfl fan. However, I have to point out a nuance of your post when you say "teams" like the Patriots. It's like "Highlander"...there can only be one. I've seen their mojo from taking James White, one of the less heralded backs from my beloved Badgers, and making him one of the most effective that have played in the show.

Yeah, interesting 1st choice by GB...way to keep A-Rodge on his toes! RB depth ain't all bad. Sometimes you need a Brandon Jackson (remember him!) type you can swing out on a 3rd and 2 situation. Definitely a new show in Title Town, though.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
As stated, I'm a very casual Nfl fan. However, I have to point out a nuance of your post when you say "teams" like the Patriots. It's like "Highlander"...there can only be one. I've seen their mojo from taking James White, one of the less heralded backs from my beloved Badgers, and making him one of the most effective that have played in the show.

True enough. I actually think the Packers and a handful of other teams fit that description as well. They've never had a "wining" draft in all the time I've followed them, because they have consistently picked in final third of the draft, and subsequently don't get the flashy names. They also, like the Pats, have had a tendency to take guys off the usual mock board. Kenny Clark was a late 1st round pick for the Packers that nobody celebrated (mocks had him about 20-30 picks later). Clark is now one of the top 10 DTs in the entire NFL. That draft year, CBS said their best pick was Spriggs (an underwhelming tenure and let go in free agency this year).

So what I'm saying is, it's pretty hard to get too invested in the early analysis on draft winners and losers. I just looked at the Chiefs draft grade from SI for 2016. They got a B- and the write-up and notable players section did not even include a single mention of Tyreek Hill, a top 10 WR in the league. Soooo yeah.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Errrr. Yeah, so as a Packers fan, get back to me in a few years. It's pretty clear the new management is building an entirely new offense that is no longer pass first. Spending our top draft assets on a QB when Rodgers is still performing at a really high level is tough to swallow.

In terms of great drafts, from a team that didn't get to pick super early, I think the Ravens are one of the smartest drafting teams in the league. And I hate to say it, but I think the Vikings did well too.

But early draft winners are rarely the real winners. Teams like the Patriots never dazzle at the draft yet always find guys that fit their system and fill a need for two damn decades.

That locker room should be a lot of fun this year... :popcorn:

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

They didnt improve their team at the draft after coming off a season where they went 13-3, that draft doesnt make any sense. Even if you want to play for the future why wouldnt you load up and try to make a run for another year or two with Rodgers? Their top 3 picks will all be iffy to even get much playing time. Grab Rodgers a receiver, try to fix some weaknesses and make a run this year. It seems so simple I cant believe they did what they did.

I really think any team in the North could win the division this year, except maybe the bears with Trubisky. I could see two teams making playiffs for sure with the expanded format

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
As much as I hate the team, Dallas had a nice draft.

Looks like pretty much all the writers agree with you. Some of them could barely contain their giddiness. Even though the Nfl is a fringe sport in my house, it would still chap my ass if Dallas won another SB in my lifetime.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
They didnt improve their team at the draft after coming off a season where they went 13-3, that draft doesnt make any sense. Even if you want to play for the future why wouldnt you load up and try to make a run for another year or two with Rodgers? Their top 3 picks will all be iffy to even get much playing time. Grab Rodgers a receiver, try to fix some weaknesses and make a run this year. It seems so simple I cant believe they did what they did.

I really think any team in the North could win the division this year, except maybe the bears with Trubisky. I could see two teams making playiffs for sure with the expanded format

I would be so mad if I was Aaron Rodgers.

1 game away from the Super Bowl and they use a 1st rounder on something that helps them 0% next year, and drafted no WR’s in one of the deepest WR drafts potentially ever.

As a fan of a divisional rival, that draft was best case scenario pretty much... unless Love becomes another HOFer after Favre and Rodgers.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Their top 3 picks will all be iffy to even get much playing time.

Don't sleep on AJ Dillon. Guy trucks folks like Henry. He's going to play. And the TE will be out there, too.

That said...

GCQfTkC.jpg

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Don't sleep on AJ Dillon. Guy trucks folks like Henry. He's going to play. And the TE will be out there, too.

That said...

GCQfTkC.jpg

Yeah Dillon will get some time, I wanted the Lions to take him in the fourth possibly. Hes not going to be a factor in the passing game and Jones is still going to be the feature back but Dillon will get some time. That tight end was rated really poorly and they used a second(?) last year on Steenberger. Just a really weird draft given they were a game away from the superbowl and their hall of fame QB probably has about 3 years or so left.

Thats not to say those wont all be good players down the road, its just weird youre that close to the superbowl and you dont draft a single starter

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Thats not to say those wont all be good players down the road, its just weird youre that close to the superbowl and you dont draft a single starter

It's a head scratcher in the immediate, for sure. I'm not thrilled. I'm trying to see the big picture and I like the big picture they are making, but god dammit I kind of hate this now.

Still it makes sense if you want to restructure your offense to look more like a Shanahan San Francisco team, which the Packers obviously do.

Rodgers has two years left on the Packers, is my guess. He'll be 37 this winter. He definitely doesn't play like he used to, good as he still is.

Manning retired at 39. Guys like Brees and Brady are the exception, not the rule. It's possible Rodgers joins them but if you think Love is the next guy, I get it.

I definitely didn't expect a franchise altering decision. I thought they'd take Mims and call it a day, haha. Gonna be a long, long off-season.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Lions sign UDFA TE Hunter Bryant...a little undersized but was a 2nd Team All American

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

Packers last season were like the Bears a year before. A bit of a fluke. I expect them to regress as Chicago did last season up to a point. Difference is, they still have Rodgers to bail them out while Chicago relies on defense only.

I don't think Green Bay taking a QB was necessarily a bad move. Just the way they went about it. Ask any Packers fan and they'll tell you perhaps their biggest need is WR and this draft was loaded with them. You're also obligated to Rodgers for the next couple of years.

Trading up 4 spots for a guy that probably would be there is something you can still swallow. But drafting a plodding RB, when you already have Jones firmly entrenched as a starter and Williams as a backup, made it worse with several wide receivers still on the board. The Lions taking a RB makes sense with Johnson being dinged up the past two years. The Packers #2 WR is Devin Funchess. Which as any Michigan fan will tell you is nothing to write home about.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Packers last season were like the Bears a year before. A bit of a fluke. I expect them to regress as Chicago did last season up to a point. Difference is, they still have Rodgers to bail them out while Chicago relies on defense only.

I don't think Green Bay taking a QB was necessarily a bad move. Just the way they went about it. Ask any Packers fan and they'll tell you perhaps their biggest need is WR and this draft was loaded with them. You're also obligated to Rodgers for the next couple of years.

Trading up 4 spots for a guy that probably would be there is something you can still swallow. But drafting a plodding RB, when you already have Jones firmly entrenched as a starter and Williams as a backup, made it worse with several wide receivers still on the board. The Lions taking a RB makes sense with Johnson being dinged up the past two years. The Packers #2 WR is Devin Funchess. Which as any Michigan fan will tell you is nothing to write home about.
Colts were trying to trade up to grab the QB ...that’s why the Packers had to move up

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Colts were trying to trade up to grab the QB ...that’s why the Packers had to move up

Indeed. Reports from the Chiefs are that they had a bunch of trade offers for the #32 pick that disappeared when the Packers took Love. So given that Miami was willing to move pick #26, one of those teams could have easily done what the Packers did. It was all about who would actually strike first and who was going to wait.

Now if Love is worth it or not is another discussion entirely.

As for plodding RB, well, I'm just going to wait for his work to speak for itself. I have a strong hunch what you are seeing in Tennessee is exactly what the Packers coach and former Titan's OC are building. Aaron Jones is great, but he's not that type of back. And like I'm going to rely on any single RB to stay healthy anyway. RBs are, unfortunately, the most disposable position in the NFL.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Indeed. Reports from the Chiefs are that they had a bunch of trade offers for the #32 pick that disappeared when the Packers took Love. So given that Miami was willing to move pick #26, one of those teams could have easily done what the Packers did. It was all about who would actually strike first and who was going to wait.

Now if Love is worth it or not is another discussion entirely.

As for plodding RB, well, I'm just going to wait for his work to speak for itself. I have a strong hunch what you are seeing in Tennessee is exactly what the Packers coach and former Titan's OC are building. Aaron Jones is great, but he's not that type of back. And like I'm going to rely on any single RB to stay healthy anyway. RBs are, unfortunately, the most disposable position in the NFL.

That's why the Lions keep drafting them I guess... You know, quality organization that we are... Real thinkers.

I say this actually liking Swift, but man we have spent some draft capital in some strange ways over the years. It is strange to watch your team do this, I just think Packers fans aren't used to that... A lot of us I think are on this forum that are stuck rooting for the Lions.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
That's why the Lions keep drafting them I guess... You know, quality organization that we are... Real thinkers.

I say this actually liking Swift, but man we have spent some draft capital in some strange ways over the years. It is strange to watch your team do this, I just think Packers fans aren't used to that... A lot of us I think are on this forum that are stuck rooting for the Lions.

I thought the Lions had a nice draft class honestly. I was expecting less, lol.

Reactions: RabidBadger

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Lions still have 30 mil in cap space...3rd most in the league...hopefully they can add some more help. Clowney maybe?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Lions still have 30 mil in cap space...3rd most in the league...hopefully they can add some more help. Clowney maybe?

Everson Griffen is probably an easier guy to fit in for the short-term. Not sure any of the big name guys look at us though.

All the stuff I've read is that theyre talking to Markus Golden from the Giants. He would be cheaper than Clowney and probably is better than Griffen now. I would welcome any of the three but I'm not sure CLowney is the pass rusher they need, hes more like Flowers.They need a guy that gets home more often and Golden at 10 sacks last year, had a season a couple years ago with 12.5 sacks.

They need to get someone to help, Okwara is a start but another more proven player would help a lot

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

Rooting for the Lions but reading about the Packers it would seem.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I'll start out the "Let's crap on the Lions/talk about how good their season will be", now that the schedule is out.

The over/under is 6.5. I think that's fair based on the offense being able to move the ball, even with a back up qb last year. And this is assuming Stafford stays healthy. The defense is a disaster that I don't really think it has improved enough to expect them to steal games.

I'll go with 6 wins on the strength of Stafford and Bevell. I can't possibly have any more hope than that after watching Pencil Boy lose to a rookie Sam Darnold and lose to the Skins...the effing Skins! last year (and that unseemly tie with the Cards).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bench
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad