Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You don't root for this team, nor does @Frk It liking it, buzz off you two divisional hosers.

I can be certain in three plus decades of watching this team, I feel sorry for the individual we do select...:laugh:

Hey now, I want the Lions to be good again. And there is an elite CB falling right into their laps, which is potentially the most important position after QB. Maybe make an argument for EDGE. But either way, you take the damn CB, especially with Slay gone.

But I don't think the Lions turn it around until they finally shed pencil boy Patricia.

Reactions: RabidBadger

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Hey now, I want the Lions to be good again. And there is an elite CB falling right into their laps, which is potentially the most important position after QB. Maybe make an argument for EDGE. But either way, you take the damn CB, especially with Slay gone.

But I don't think the Lions turn it around until they finally shed pencil boy Patricia.

They have won a single playoff game since the Ford family bought the team in the 50's...

I don't think it is the pencil boys fault... I think we know who is to blame.

I would like them to trade down, we will see if they can, but I don't want to draft who they are talking about at #3. This is so much like the Peppers draft all over again where you see the freak likely hall of famer going right in front of your pick and think oh yeah Quinton Jammer or Joey freaking Harrington instead of an amazing edge rusher, it just sucks.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
They have won a single playoff game since the Ford family bought the team in the 50's...

I don't think it is the pencil boys fault... I think we know who is to blame.

You either blame the inept coaching/management or you can blame the people that put them in. Doesn't matter to me, but I know from an outsider's perspective and division rival, the longer Patricia is there and the Lions keep workin' that angle, the better that is for the Packers. That team has more talent than they are displaying.

The Packers were as bad as the Lions only a couple seasons ago. And the difference between Rodgers and Stafford isn't great enough to account for the change in trajectories.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
You either blame the inept coaching/management or you can blame the people that put them in. Doesn't matter to me, but I know from an outsider's perspective and division rival, the longer Patricia is there and the Lions keep workin' that angle, the better that is for the Packers. That team has more talent than they are displaying.

The Packers were as bad as the Lions only a couple seasons ago. And the difference between Rodgers and Stafford isn't great enough to account for the change in trajectories.

I think the track record speaks to other things, I also think it spiraled with Stafford down. For those that hate on Stafford and there are many in the Detroit Lions fan-base last year should have been real alarming in terms of man does he carry a ton of weight constantly rescuing that God awful team. It wasn't going to be a good season but they never recovered from the screw job that was the Green Bay game. They played decent enough out of the gate, not great but far better than their final record. That can go on the coaches, but with Stafford down and the league full on kicking you in the pills I just think they folded as a group. You knew all the signs, they are bad enough without the breaks going against them.

I am not a huge Quinn or Patricia fan, but they are better than a lot of what we have had for two decades. Ultimately though for me this falls on the Ford family. I mean to have one playoff win in 60 years of ownership, it has to be them.

I think they should be improved, but waiting to see the team put together. I don't think Slay is that big of a loss, he talks better than he actually plays the last couple years in my opinion. They need more pressure up front and they need to tackle better and play better as a unit. I think there are some encouraging things on offense if Stafford comes back. Pretty tough division, but I don't think they were as bad as their record last year and I think they can have some say if they do the right things in the off-season.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well then, seems living in Florida isn't the only thing you and Gronk have in common.

He was unwilling to play for Bill Belichick anymore and yeah really only wants to catch balls from Brady...

But not really true, he didn't want to go to a crap organization, he has been one of the former Pats that compliments Patricia even as recently as two months ago.

Rob Gronkowski Vouches for Matt Patricia as Lions Coach | Heavy.com

“He’s a great guy. Like I said, he had a lot of fun every time we were with him. Talking trash with each other, he had a great personality out there,”

Gronk on Patricia.

Also there are no shortage of Patriots that are signing. I actually don't really like how many, but all of those guys seem to have a pretty good rapport with those two. I am not sure we want New Englands scraps, but it isn't guys that aren't familiar with him that are trying to sign up for this.

If the team wanted to play for Jim Caldwell forever and that seems to be the take of a few guys that have been on their way out, great you should have played harder for him. You should have made him look better in key moments and they did not... Some of these guys need to take a look in the mirror, we have been inept for a long-time, earn running your mouth by playing better football. The culture in that building stinks and has pretty much my whole life.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would like them to trade down, we will see if they can, but I don't want to draft who they are talking about at #3. This is so much like the Peppers draft all over again where you see the freak likely hall of famer going right in front of your pick and think oh yeah Quinton Jammer or Joey freaking Harrington instead of an amazing edge rusher, it just sucks.

If they trade down to #5 and pick up picks, then draft Isaiah Simmons, that would be pretty awesome IMO. I think Simmons is a stud and will be a big time playmaker on defense for a long time, wherever you want to play him.

I would probably take Simmons over Okudah, personally. But I would not be disappointed at all if I was getting either.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Zetterberg Era

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
if Young doesn't slip to 3, then I'm with Konnan, and thinking we should trade back.

Yep, ideally Young slips to 3 but trading back is the second best option. Got back to 5 or 6 and youre going to get one of Okudah, Simmons or Brown, likely still Okudah. All players are in a similar tier as prospects and all at positions of need, especially Okudah and Brown.

I would still be happy with Okudah at 3 but a trade back would be best.

If they trade down to #5 and pick up picks, then draft Isaiah Simmons, that would be pretty awesome IMO. I think Simmons is a stud and will be a big time playmaker on defense for a long time, wherever you want to play him.

I would probably take Simmons over Okudah, personally. But I would not be disappointed at all if I was getting either.

I dont know what to tihnk about Simmons, I think I like him less than Okudah and probably Brown as well. Hes pretty small to play linebacker and would need a very specific role put into the defense for him to excel. Hes going to be a playmaker in the NFL if used right but I think Okudah and Brown will be as well with a little less risk involved

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yep, ideally Young slips to 3 but trading back is the second best option. Got back to 5 or 6 and youre going to get one of Okudah, Simmons or Brown, likely still Okudah. All players are in a similar tier as prospects and all at positions of need, especially Okudah and Brown.

I would still be happy with Okudah at 3 but a trade back would be best.

I dont know what to tihnk about Simmons, I think I like him less than Okudah and probably Brown as well. Hes pretty small to play linebacker and would need a very specific role put into the defense for him to excel. Hes going to be a playmaker in the NFL if used right but I think Okudah and Brown will be as well with a little less risk involved

Simmons is 6'4" and 238 lbs. He would be anything but small at the linebacker position. If he gained 10-20 lbs, he would be like Urlacher, who is one of the biggest LB's we have seen that were elite.

Okudah will be good. I think he could be Patrick Peterson good. I could see him locking down one side of the field, which is definitely valuable, but those guys don't really get a lot of opportunity to make plays. I think Simmons is going to be a big time playmaker in the middle of the field.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Okudah will be good. I think he could be Patrick Peterson good. I could see him locking down one side of the field, which is definitely valuable, but those guys don't really get a lot of opportunity to make plays.

Having a blanket secondary mean the QB rolls through his progression and ends up killing time that allows your line to make a play. I legitimately think it's the most important position in the modern NFL right after QB. A big part of that is because you end up on an island covering these elite receivers in a pass happy NFL. A single break at CB and you're exposed, no matter how great everything else is going.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Having a blanket secondary mean the QB rolls through his progression and ends up killing time that allows your line to make a play. I legitimately think it's the most important position in the modern NFL right after QB. A big part of that is because you end up on an island covering these elite receivers in a pass happy NFL. A single break at CB and you're exposed, no matter how great everything else is going.

Yeah the problem here is the Lions have no ability to generate anything that resembles pressure under Patricia's defensive scheme. He's dropping extra people in coverage more than any other team in the league (highest 3 man rush % in the league). To this day the best way to impact the passing game is to take away the time, not rely on individual man to man pass coverage skills. Receivers are going to get open if you give the QB the amount of time that the Lions gave them last year. We saw that with Slay on the team, and it's highly doubtful that Okudah will step in day one and have more of an impact that we have had from Slay.

There are a lot of ways to go. Simmons > Okudah without a shadow of a doubt in the ways he can influence the game. Will either be there at 5 or 6 or whenever if the Lions trade back? Who knows.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
It's our version of the Super Bowl tonight gang!!!

If we do somehow pick Tua at least I know when I have my argument with buddies down south that think the guy can walk on water, I will be able to say unequivocally that I knew he was a bust all along. I mean the Lions picking him would certainly sink his career...

Reactions: Frk It
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad