Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Feels like the same old offseason for the Lions.

It really does.

I honestly want the Lions to be good again. I was a big Barry Sanders fan. Loved, loved, loved Calvin Johnson. Megatron was my favorite skill player to watch for a long time. Stafford is underrated basically every season. I kinda hate Patricia, but meh.

I'd far prefer them as a rival than the Bears or especially Vikings. Lions fans are chill and normal fans. Vikings fans are something truly... uh, special. Yeah let's go with special.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Feels like the same old offseason for the Lions.

Crazy how the Lions go from getting ripped off by the Packers at Lambeau and one down from beating KC to everyone just shitting on them completely. With a healthy Stafford theyre a very solid team last year and I definitely dont think they got worse this offseason. 3 and 5 for Slay isnt amazing but its not bad for a 30 year old coming off his worst season either.

They have the picks to potentially add 4 or 5 starters this draft alone. People need to relax a little bit and turn Mike Valenti off

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

Two sides to every story.

Why are former patriots all lining up to come back to play for Patricia but the players who have issues with him are the ones who basically came up under Caldwell? I think Patricia is probably an asshole but he also might be legitimately weeding out guys with a me first attitude as well.I really like Slay and hes one of my favourite players that Ive actually watched with the Lions but when there was rumours in his first year that the team didnt like Patricia because his training camp was too hard, it kinda showed how babied some of these guys were under Caldwell.

It does seem like Patricia mightve come on too strong though in his first year and damaged this relationship too much. On the other hand, we dont know what Slays attitude was like with a new coach critiquing him either. Patricia will never come out and address this stuff so it will all be one sided

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Two sides to every story.

There's too much smoke around this guy, dating back to before he was even in football, for him to be simply abrasive. There's a ton of hard nosed, my way or the highway NFL coaches. Everywhere Patricia walks, it smells like shit. It's him.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There's too much smoke around this guy, dating back to before he was even in football, for him to be simply abrasive. There's a ton of hard nosed, my way or the highway NFL coaches. Everywhere Patricia walks, it smells like shit. It's him.

And yet, theres a bunch of his former players (big names too) that continue wanting to come play for him here in Detroit even when the team hasnt been successful. He might be a bit much, but I think Caldwell was too far the other way as well and coddled some of these guys coming up.

The rumours for people not liking him last year were that a lot of people were pissed his training camp was too hard.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And yet, theres a bunch of his former players (big names too) that continue wanting to come play for him here in Detroit even when the team hasnt been successful. He might be a bit much, but I think Caldwell was too far the other way as well and coddled some of these guys coming up.

The rumours for people not liking him last year were that a lot of people were pissed his training camp was too hard.

We heard similar rumors about Babcock and why the older guys didn't like him, too. Time passes, more comes out, find out there was more behind it than just Babcock was a harder coach than Lewis.

As the same time, the story Slay relates is stupid, it's juvenile, but it's not...I don't know. It sounds like the sort of stupid, juvenile thing I remember a lot of guys in sports found funny. Which goes with the mention in the article that Patricia's personality might just not fit. Which is maybe a nice way of saying he's just not likable.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
We heard similar rumors about Babcock and why the older guys didn't like him, too. Time passes, more comes out, find out there was more behind it than just Babcock was a harder coach than Lewis.

As the same time, the story Slay relates is stupid, it's juvenile, but it's not...I don't know. It sounds like the sort of stupid, juvenile thing I remember a lot of guys in sports found funny. Which goes with the mention in the article that Patricia's personality might just not fit. Which is maybe a nice way of saying he's just not likable.

Babcock wasnt liked a lot because he was hard on the players. The wings didnt mind when they were winning but that team was built as a winner when Babcock first came there. No one complained about him early, people got sick of him as time went on.

Thats different than Patricia being too hard in training camp too a bunch of guys who have played on arguably the worst NFL franchise in history. I really dont care if hes to hard on these guys because they havent won shit and last year before Stafford got hurt they looked the best they have in a very long time. Most of the stuff Babcock did wasnt actually that bad, especially in Detroit. The only really shitty thing he did in the dressing room was the Marner incident. I dont like how he handled things with Commie either.

It seems like Patricia found the right level of hard ass in his second year, so lets see how it goes this year. The difference with Babcock and Patricia is that you never heard a single player come out and stick up for Babcock, that isnt true of Patrcia. You heard stories about how Filppula refused to go back and play for Babcock and never heard of former players following Babcock to new teams. The complete opposite is true of Patricia in both respects.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Babcock wasnt liked a lot because he was hard on the players. The wings didnt mind when they were winning but that team was built as a winner when Babcock first came there. No one complained about him early, people got sick of him as time went on.

Thats different than Patricia being too hard in training camp too a bunch of guys who have played on arguably the worst NFL franchise in history. I really dont care if hes to hard on these guys because they havent won shit and last year before Stafford got hurt they looked the best they have in a very long time. Most of the stuff Babcock did wasnt actually that bad, especially in Detroit. The only really shitty thing he did in the dressing room was the Marner incident. I dont like how he handled things with Commie either.

It seems like Patricia found the right level of hard ass in his second year, so lets see how it goes this year. The difference with Babcock and Patricia is that you never heard a single player come out and stick up for Babcock, that isnt true of Patrcia. You heard stories about how Filppula refused to go back and play for Babcock and never heard of former players following Babcock to new teams. The complete opposite is true of Patricia in both respects.

The Wings definitely minded. The press even reported on Holland reportedly having talks with babcock about adapting to the Wings way. And the point is that we later found out it was more than just typical coach being hard on players. And we have no idea if what we've heard is everything.

Which is really the same with Patricia. Some players don't get along with him. We're hearing similar things to what we heard about Babcock at the beginning. Flip played under Babcock for eight years before leaving and refusing to go back. Right now, I think Slay is kinda like Commie. It might be nothing. It might not reflect on how Patricia deals with the rest of the team at all. Or it's the canary in the coal mine.

And I wouldn't read much into guys who had him as their DC wanting to play for him as their HC. It's two different roles, two different situations, and he doesn't have Bellicheck there for guys to sort of compare him to and deal with instead.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The Wings definitely minded. The press even reported on Holland reportedly having talks with babcock about adapting to the Wings way. And the point is that we later found out it was more than just typical coach being hard on players. And we have no idea if what we've heard is everything.

Which is really the same with Patricia. Some players don't get along with him. We're hearing similar things to what we heard about Babcock at the beginning. Flip played under Babcock for eight years before leaving and refusing to go back. Right now, I think Slay is kinda like Commie. It might be nothing. It might not reflect on how Patricia deals with the rest of the team at all. Or it's the canary in the coal mine.

And I wouldn't read much into guys who had him as their DC wanting to play for him as their HC. It's two different roles, two different situations, and he doesn't have Bellicheck there for guys to sort of compare him to and deal with instead.

It's more than just Slay. A handful of other guys have said their piece, at least those that can at this point.

And those loyal ex-Pats got excellent money to be in Detroit. Flowers, set the free agent market that year for anyone not named Mack. Easy to be happy and loyal when someone also pays you top dollar.

Finally, let's get petty. He looks like an idiot with that pencil behind his ear 24/7. It's movie shorthand for "hey this guy is such a hard worker!". I can't respect anyone that literally dresses like a prop piece to press conferences.

Reactions: RabidBadger

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It's more than just Slay. A handful of other guys have said their piece, at least those that can at this point.

And those loyal ex-Pats got excellent money to be in Detroit. Flowers, set the free agent market that year for anyone not named Mack. Easy to be happy and loyal when someone also pays you top dollar.

Finally, let's get petty. He looks like an idiot with that pencil behind his ear 24/7. It's movie shorthand for "hey this guy is such a hard worker!". I can't respect anyone that literally dresses like a prop piece to press conferences.

I'm with you that most of the FAs have been brought in at an inflated premium. I have yet to see a list from the pro writers that the Lions have been one of the winners in FA this year. I gather that when ex Pats hit FA they are generally past their "best buy" date. I liken it to the country club contracts people have talked about with Holland.

Aside from that, I thought the dude was supposed to be a defensive guru. The offense seemed to keep the team in the game last year, even with a back up qb. You can't use the injury excuse; Philly and Pittsburgh were starting their water boys and staying in the playoff hunt.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Aside from that, I thought the dude was supposed to be a defensive guru.

From what I recall, the Patriots defense improved immediately upon Patricia's departure. Pats fans aren't moaning for him back, let me put it that way. And it's well documented Bill called plays on defense even when Patricia was there. Looks like it's Bill and his son that have have been running things there lately. And it was their defense that had them stomping games early last year and gave them a playoff spot.

Add Patricia to the list of guys that were all being carried by the genius that is Sith Lord Belichick. He's certainly not alone.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I'm with you that most of the FAs have been brought in at an inflated premium. I have yet to see a list from the pro writers that the Lions have been one of the winners in FA this year. I gather that when ex Pats hit FA they are generally past their "best buy" date. I liken it to the country club contracts people have talked about with Holland.

Aside from that, I thought the dude was supposed to be a defensive guru. The offense seemed to keep the team in the game last year, even with a back up qb. You can't use the injury excuse; Philly and Pittsburgh were starting their water boys and staying in the playoff hunt.

Trey Flowers got paid. The rest of those former pats got around market value. Collins for example took an extremely reasonable contract for how he played last year. Marquise Flowers isnt with the lions anymore and came right on twitter and said that it isnt Patricia that was the issue in Detroit. He has no reason to chime in but obviously thought this was getting unfairly portrayed in the media.

I think its getting blown out of proportion. He might be a hard ass and took it too far with Slay but I think theres a lot of mentally soft lions as well

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Trey Flowers got paid. The rest of those former pats got around market value. Collins for example took an extremely reasonable contract for how he played last year. Marquise Flowers isnt with the lions anymore and came right on twitter and said that it isnt Patricia that was the issue in Detroit. He has no reason to chime in but obviously thought this was getting unfairly portrayed in the media.

I think its getting blown out of proportion. He might be a hard ass and took it too far with Slay but I think theres a lot of mentally soft lions as well

Honest question; whose fault is it then that the wheels have come off the bus? Caldwell had these guys playing decent, not great, football. Don't get me wrong, Caldwell needed to go but his results were much better.

The next question I would posit is, how many guys on the current roster are ones he inherited from Caldwell? I honestly have no clue what the answer is. Patricia has had a couple years of drafts, trades and FA to retool the team so I would think there aren't too many Caldwell guys holding him back.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Honest question; whose fault is it then that the wheels have come off the bus? Caldwell had these guys playing decent, not great, football. Don't get me wrong, Caldwell needed to go but his results were much better.

The next question I would posit is, how many guys on the current roster are ones he inherited from Caldwell? I honestly have no clue what the answer is. Patricia has had a couple years of drafts, trades and FA to retool the team so I would think there aren't too many Caldwell guys holding him back.

Well this is where it gets tough. I think his 6 win season was disappointing but fair because it was his first year as a coach. I genuinely thought last season to start the year was the best the lions have looked in years. They got jobbed against GB in Lambeau and almost beat the Chiefs. Stafford got hurt and the wheels fell off. I dont love Patricia as a coach but I'm willing to give him this year to see if the start of last season can be extended across a full season. They were playing like a ten or eleven win team before Stafford got hurt.

I also think that everyone piling on him over the Slay stuff are more just pissed they won 3 games last year. He might be an asshole but its also pro football and I think there was some serious prima donna shit going on in that locker room that Patricia has hopefully squashed now. Less than 9 wins if theyre fairly healthy this year and it might be time to move on though

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
RIP Al. Grew up with him and George Kell calling games, and Tiger telecasts haven't really been the same since they left.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad