Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Makes me wonder now that Tua has left Alabama if they’d take him...no guarantees Stafford makes it the whole season next year

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
Makes me wonder now that Tua has left Alabama if they’d take him...no guarantees Stafford makes it the whole season next year
I wouldn't, but it's the Lions so they probably will. We have a penchant for taking great players that have an injury history. Tua's hip is the only thing I'm aware of, but knowing the Lions it'd be a nagging injury for his whole NFL career.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I wouldn't, but it's the Lions so they probably will. We have a penchant for taking great players that have an injury history. Tua's hip is the only thing I'm aware of, but knowing the Lions it'd be a nagging injury for his whole NFL career.
Combine will get his injury settled

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
If the Pistons don't blow it up now, they're worse off than I thought management wise.

Pistons are already completely ******. They needed to trade Griffin last year, but once again a terrible owner destroys any chance at Detroit having a respectable team for the next decade, because they have no clue what they are doing.

Just wait for Tommy G to order the front office to give Drummond another max level extension.

MintBerryCrunch

Aug 20, 2014
Auburn Hills
Pistons are already completely ******. They needed to trade Griffin last year, but once again a terrible owner destroys any chance at Detroit having a respectable team for the next decade, because they have no clue what they are doing.

Just wait for Tommy G to order the front office to give Drummond another max level extension.

It wouldn't surprise me. I do hope that they can trade Rose to a contender and let him have a run at a title.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
seen on reddit:
9xx0xohnjt941.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tigers signed Ivan Nova to bolster their starting pitching. Good move. He should at least go out and be a dependable starter who can eat some innings this year. And if he starts off well, it's a cheap one year deal. Could be good trade bait.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Tigers signed Ivan Nova to bolster their starting pitching. Good move. He should at least go out and be a dependable starter who can eat some innings this year. And if he starts off well, it's a cheap one year deal. Could be good trade bait.
Tigers are up to their armpits in Starters at Toledo and in Detroit

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Tigers are up to their armpits in Starters at Toledo and in Detroit

How many of them do you really count on to pitch a full season? Zimmerman is always hurt, Norris is always hurt, Fulmer isn't even going to see the mound until part way through the season. Of the kids, Mize was dealing with soreness last season. Burrows and Funkhouser cratered when promoted to Toledo. Turnbull and Boyd were the only starters in Detroit to make it through the year and not be a disaster.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
How many of them do you really count on to pitch a full season? Zimmerman is always hurt, Norris is always hurt, Fulmer isn't even going to see the mound until part way through the season. Of the kids, Mize was dealing with soreness last season. Burrows and Funkhouser cratered when promoted to Toledo. Turnbull and Boyd were the only starters in Detroit to make it through the year and not be a disaster.
Still have their a Rule 5 pick who they took first overall who has to stay on the big league roster..they have at least 7 starters booked for Toledo plus a bunch for Detroit..not to mention Fulmer will be back at some point during the season

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Still have their a Rule 5 pick who they took first overall who has to stay on the big league roster..they have at least 7 starters booked for Toledo plus a bunch for Detroit..not to mention Fulmer will be back at some point during the season

And how many of those pitchers are guys we want on the mound? This is a team that counted on Jordan Zimmerman for 23 starts last year. When that wasn't bad enough, they reanimated the corpse of Edwin Jackson and made him start eight games. I'm looking at the Tigers' roster, and I see Boyd and Turnbull as guys who should walk in and have a rotation spot this year. Maybe Tyler Alexander. After that? Norris, but he has to go more than three innings at a time.

And I don't see a whole lot else in Toledo right now. They have Wilkel Hernandez assigned to them. Some other kids, and probably some guys who aren't currently showing up on their roster list. But the big guns are still in Erie, and Mize is the only one I've heard getting talk as an opening day guy for the Tigers.

I see Nova as a similar signing to the two guys we signed from Minny. with any luck they stay healthy, start the year strong, and are dealt at the deadline. Then we see the Tigers move kids up into those spots.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
And how many of those pitchers are guys we want on the mound? This is a team that counted on Jordan Zimmerman for 23 starts last year. When that wasn't bad enough, they reanimated the corpse of Edwin Jackson and made him start eight games. I'm looking at the Tigers' roster, and I see Boyd and Turnbull as guys who should walk in and have a rotation spot this year. Maybe Tyler Alexander. After that? Norris, but he has to go more than three innings at a time.

And I don't see a whole lot else in Toledo right now. They have Wilkel Hernandez assigned to them. Some other kids, and probably some guys who aren't currently showing up on their roster list. But the big guns are still in Erie, and Mize is the only one I've heard getting talk as an opening day guy for the Tigers.

I see Nova as a similar signing to the two guys we signed from Minny. with any luck they stay healthy, start the year strong, and are dealt at the deadline. Then we see the Tigers move kids up into those spots.
Mize Burrows and Manning are all expected to start the season in Toledo

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Depth Chart

Rotation is full

Fulmer won't be back until July, Zimmerman sucks, and Norris hasn't shown the ability to pitch more than three innings at a time without breaking down. And the Rule 5 guy has pitched all of 100 innings above A ball in his career.

Manning and Mize are expected to make their debuts later in the season, when Avila has (hopefully) been able to deal off some guys - like Nova. In the mean time, they'll play in Toledo, some lesser guys will be moved out, and all that benefits is the Tigers having a more reliable staff for half the season and some extra trade bait to pull in more much needed assets.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Norris hasn't shown the ability to pitch more than three innings at a time without breaking down.

To be very fair, late in the season Norris had moments where he looked similar to the player he was before the injuries and struggles in those 3 innings he pitched every 5th day. They are slow walking him, but I was pretty pissed that they never extended him down the stretch.

Coddling isn’t going to help him.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
To be very fair, late in the season Norris had moments where he looked similar to the player he was before the injuries and struggles in those 3 innings he pitched every 5th day. They are slow walking him, but I was pretty pissed that they never extended him down the stretch.

Coddling isn’t going to help him.

Norris definitely looked good at times. I like the guy and I want him to succeed, but do I count on him? Even with limiting his innings, he pitched the same number of innings last season as he pitched the previous two seasons combined. That probably played a role in not extending him down the stretch. He'd already thrown more innings last season than any season in his career.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Ouch!
I knew these were some dark days for Detroit sports, but that is so depressing.
Good on us for sticking with all four of these miserable teams through these trying times.
There are only 13 cities with 4 major sports teams. There were only 5 up until 1991.
More games are also played each season in each of the sports than in the past.

While we are obviously in some very dark days right now with all our teams, it's not like it's some epically historical stat comparing us vs 30 other cities over 100 years

(I'd also question the accuracy/methodology of this statistic. New York has The Mets and Yankees each playing 162 games per year, the Knicks and Nets playing 82 games per year, the Rangers and Islanders playing 82 games per year, and the Giants and Jets playing 16 games per year. Seems like they can blow that 226 out of the water without even trying)

Last edited:

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
There are only 13 cities with 4 major sports teams. There were only 5 up until 1991.
More games are also played each season in each of the sports than in the past.

While we are obviously in some very dark days right now with all our teams, it's not like it's some epically historical stat comparing us vs 30 other cities over 100 years

(I'd also question the accuracy/methodology of this statistic. New York has The Mets and Yankees each playing 162 games per year, the Knicks and Nets playing 82 games per year, the Rangers and Islanders playing 82 games per year, and the Giants and Jets playing 16 games per year. Seems like they can blow that 226 out of the water without even trying)

To be honest, after I posted that imgur link, that was one of the things that I think the r/detroitlions sub brought up. But without spending the time bothering to fact check, it could just be one of those amazing stats too.

I just thought the quote was catchy, but then thinking about it more, even a good baseball team will lose about 60-70 games, so in a city like NY, that would be 120-140+ losses there, the Knicks are awful, the Nets are a thing, the Giants, Jets.

For example, the Mets and Yankees lost 135 games combined in 2019.

But the Tigers lost 114 by their lonesome, that leaves 112 for the other 3 teams combined, take out the Lions, there's 99 loses between the Wings and Pistons, which sounds doable with how bad they are right now.

Not sure if most cities with the 4 major sports have it where all their teams are terrible, all at once though either.

Maybe 2-3, but one or two is usually halfway competitive. In spite of their awfulness, I still feel that the Wings have the better shot to turn things around, the Lions will forever be the Lions, Gores doesn't seem to know what he's doing, Avila is something something with the Tigers, add in the long time most players are in the minors, uggh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad