Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Gotta reduce that role to account for the empty Stadium...my aunt can get free tickets to any game Id like and I only went 3 times last season only because my boys wanted to go...that will probably be it for this upcoming season unless Mize or Manning get starts at some point

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY

They'll sign some garbage free agents with no upside over the next few months and lose 100+ games again, easily.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

They'll sign some garbage free agents with no upside over the next few months and lose 100+ games again, easily.

They've been linked to more international free agents than in years past, maybe the organization is finally getting a bit more serious about that.

I've been all for being more aggressive for UFA and making this team better, but I'm also not sure how much value there's been out there. Cole is going to bring it, but I don't think there's a chance he was signing here anyway. Neither was Strasburg. At the same time, darn near anyone would be an upgrade over what we have. This team's biggest problem is the lack of quality prospects. This season and next need to be the time we start seeing some production from the farm.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008

The last big free agent Detroit signed was Zimmerman. Which was coincidently Avila's first big one.

How has that worked out?

This team isn't anywhere close to contending with free agents or trades this year as it is. Continue to draft, trade off anyone you can and hope some of these guys develop.

The sad part is, you could be 60 years old and make this claim.

My dad is nearly 70. But at least he could say the Lions won a championship in his lifetime. Even if he has no recollection of it.

Only thing I have is one playoff win, wasting Barry and Calvin, Scott Mitchell pretending to be Wayne Fontes at Halloween and memories of drunken fights at the Silverdome.

Last edited:

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The last big free agent Detroit signed was Zimmerman. Which was coincidently Avila's first big one.

How has that worked out?

This team isn't anywhere close to contending with free agents or trades this year as it is. Continue to draft, trade off anyone you can and hope some of these guys develop.
My point is Avila hasn't shown any ability to do anything creative via trade or free agency.

He's traded multiple stars over the past few years and all they have to show for it is Candelario.

Take low-risk fliers on guys like Souza. Sign international FAs.

It doesn't have to be this way. It's abnormal for a team to lose 100+ games multiple seasons in a row with little help (other than Manning and Mize) on the horizon.

They need to gut management and the entire farm system.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Ford has committed to Patricia for next year. My condolences. Stafford getting hurt bought him another season.

Your only hope now is Jeff Bezos buys the team.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Pretty big break from tradition to put up a person not in the Hall.

I mean we have for years made the case he belongs, so glad the Ilitch family is moving forward with it anyway.

The Tigers did retire Willie Horton's number back in 2000, so it's not unprecedented on the Tigers' side as it is on the Wings. Lou has deserved to be in the Hall since he retired, and his being snubbed is ridiculous. I kind of surprise myself with how bitter I am over it.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
So maybe HFBoards can help me out... seems like the perfect place.

The Lions were most likely a 7-9 or 8-8 football team to start the year. No chance at a superbowl. As soon as it became clear they weren't going to exceed expectations, they started throwing everyone on IR, playing practice squad guys, and resting up for next year.... they tanked.

Now, everyone is losing their minds. Complaining that the injuries are a bad excuse. That it was some conspiracy to ensure Quinn/Patricia kept their jobs.

....Isn't this exactly what every fan in Detroit, of all the teams, have been demanding their teams do for years and years and years??

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So maybe HFBoards can help me out... seems like the perfect place.

The Lions were most likely a 7-9 or 8-8 football team to start the year. No chance at a superbowl. As soon as it became clear they weren't going to exceed expectations, they started throwing everyone on IR, playing practice squad guys, and resting up for next year.... they tanked.

Now, everyone is losing their minds. Complaining that the injuries are a bad excuse. That it was some conspiracy to ensure Quinn/Patricia kept their jobs.

....Isn't this exactly what every fan in Detroit, of all the teams, have been demanding their teams do for years and years and years??

Well consider this. At every stage of the season, their defense has looked like absolute dog shit, regardless of who was injured and who was playing. One of the better players on the squad was traded for virtually nothing, and zero effort was made in trying to change the defensive scheme to remedy the fact that they were absolute shit. Pair that with the bullshit lie that Patricia was pushing that Stafford was being kept active "out of respect for him as a player" only to throw him on IR within an hour of the public announcement that Patricia and Quinn's jobs were safe.

Look at the wasted money in free agency with no pay off. Look at the wasted draft picks on players who are non-factors. Look at the players run out of town by this regime either being too opinionated or "not the right fit". Listen to the things that former players say about this regime.

This team was not inherited by Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia in a position to tank or rebuild, nor did Bob Quinn or Matt Patricia behave in a fashion that would indicate that they were rebuilding it. They said the team would be "better", they operated to make things "better", and when everything looked bleak, they changed their narrative to save their asses. The only reason this team is in the position they are today is because Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia grossly mismanaged the organization based on the belief that their ideas were better than everyone else's. They have failed miserably, and ironically created the need a total rebuild, and you don't get the right to rebuild what you destroyed in the first place.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
Well consider this. At every stage of the season, their defense has looked like absolute dog ****, regardless of who was injured and who was playing. One of the better players on the squad was traded for virtually nothing, and zero effort was made in trying to change the defensive scheme to remedy the fact that they were absolute ****. Pair that with the bull**** lie that Patricia was pushing that Stafford was being kept active "out of respect for him as a player" only to throw him on IR within an hour of the public announcement that Patricia and Quinn's jobs were safe.

Look at the wasted money in free agency with no pay off. Look at the wasted draft picks on players who are non-factors. Look at the players run out of town by this regime either being too opinionated or "not the right fit". Listen to the things that former players say about this regime.

This team was not inherited by Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia in a position to tank or rebuild, nor did Bob Quinn or Matt Patricia behave in a fashion that would indicate that they were rebuilding it. They said the team would be "better", they operated to make things "better", and when everything looked bleak, they changed their narrative to save their asses. The only reason this team is in the position they are today is because Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia grossly mismanaged the organization based on the belief that their ideas were better than everyone else's. They have failed miserably, and ironically created the need a total rebuild, and you don't get the right to rebuild what you destroyed in the first place.
So again, sounds like everything you just described was a mediocre team that went in on acquiring future assets and going for a high draft pick.

Something I CONSTANTLY hear around hear and in the media.

Now, we are losing our minds as a fan base because they did what everyone wanted and aren't firing the coach and GM?
How can anyone be pro-tank but also demand that management gets fired? It's their responsibility to be purposely bad as possible, but not keep their jobs and reap the rewards in the process?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
So again, sounds like everything you just described was a mediocre team that went in on acquiring future assets and going for a high draft pick.

Something I CONSTANTLY hear around hear and in the media.

Now, we are losing our minds as a fan base because they did what everyone wanted and aren't firing the coach and GM?
How can anyone be pro-tank but also demand that management gets fired? It's their responsibility to be purposely bad as possible, but not keep their jobs and reap the rewards in the process?

They weren't hired to tank, and they didn't outright tank. They maintained status quo and made moves that had negative value to the team, while essentially telling the fan base and media that they should be a playoff contender.

It's embarrassing that you want to give credit to this regime for doing the polar opposite of what was expected of them. Why do Quinn and Patricia deserve praise for driving the team into the ground?

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
The current Lions are annoying, because according them, a 7-9 Caldwell wasn't good enough, but a 9-20-1 Patricia is a OK...and Quinn getting a 5th year is garbage.

Why teams keep hiring NE castoffs, when their success is entirely due to Belichick, is aggravating. But the Lions are going to Lion as long as the Ford's own them. The cycle of why bother just seems eternal.

izlez

Feb 28, 2012
They weren't hired to tank, and they didn't outright tank. They maintained status quo and made moves that had negative value to the team, while essentially telling the fan base and media that they should be a playoff contender.

It's embarrassing that you want to give credit to this regime for doing the polar opposite of what was expected of them. Why do Quinn and Patricia deserve praise for driving the team into the ground?
I'm just trying to figure it all out. No one is ever hired to tank.

The Red Wings were a playoff bubble team. People complained they didn't tank.
The Pistons have been a playoff bubble team. People want them to tank.

Now, the Lions at the start of the season were expected to be a middle of the road team. Once it became clear that they weren't going to overachieve that, they tanked. They traded away assets for future draft picks. Every injured player goes to IR. These are moves to protect these players for next year, make sure we lose this year, and get high draft picks and more draft picks. This is exactly what everyone wanted. And everyone wants them fired for it.

If Holland and Blashill turned this team into a last place team 4 years ago, would you have wanted them fired? If so, people need to stop rooting for tanks all the damn time

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

Now, the Lions at the start of the season were expected to be a middle of the road team. Once it became clear that they weren't going to overachieve that, they tanked. They traded away assets for future draft picks. Every injured player goes to IR. These are moves to protect these players for next year, make sure we lose this year, and get high draft picks and more draft picks. This is exactly what everyone wanted. And everyone wants them fired for it.

If Holland and Blashill turned this team into a last place team 4 years ago, would you have wanted them fired? If so, people need to stop rooting for tanks all the damn time

I don't root for a tank, and I can tell you that this is not a situation where the narrative you are spinning is relevant.

There is a difference between tanking and rebuilding. They were hired to compete, not rebuild. Everything they have done has taken them further from competing. They then say "oh it's a rebuild" even though the evidence is obvious that they aren't rebuilding. They have spent f*** tons of money on shitty players, examples: Rick Wagner, Justin Coleman, Trey Flowers have a combined average salary of $36.5 million. They haven't traded a single valuable piece for meaningful picks, and most trades seem to result in the more valuable piece going to the other team. They have done the opposite of rebuilding, they have thrown everything they have towards winning.

The Wings and Pistons were and are at a crossroads where the team's competitive window is closing with nothing coming to save it. That is why people wanted and want them to rebuild. The Lions were not at that crossroad. At this point, I respect your opinion as much as I respect the performance of Bob Quinn and Matt Patricia, so I am going to let this one die.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015

Players and Coaches are playing for the livelihoods...none of them are going to tank...in any sport

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I’m a big fan of the Cron and Schoop signings. This is the type of move they should be making all day.

Yeah, I like these moves. Maybe the Tigers deal them for some more pieces, or maybe they just stay, help the Tigers not look like a tire fire for the whole season, and maybe latch on for a few more years here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad