Michigan Sports Thread 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
I realize that UofM and MSU are still great/good/decent depending on the sport, but has professional sports in Detroit ever been this awful? ...
Detroit sports have never been this bad, but if there is less forum traffic now, I like it, because it means the Red Wings bandwagoners are gone.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I realize that UofM and MSU are still great/good/decent depending on the sport, but has professional sports in Detroit ever been this awful? Case in point, the Lions just got turducken'ed in the worse possible way this Thanksgiving and yet they're still the most 'successful' pro team in a major sport in town.

Red Wings: 7-18-3 (last)
Pistons: 6-13 (T6th last)
Tigers: 47-114 (last)
Lions: 3-8-1 (7th last)

P.S. Live in Toronto but grew up in Windsor, so yeah, sticking with my Detroit teams no matter what.

It can't always be 1935. We cannot always be the City of Champions. A rough year this has been. I don't think the Detroit teams have ever been collectively this bad. Wings and Tigers were expected but I had hopes for the Lions.

Back in '07 I drove to Toronto with friends. Wore a Wings jersey and the drive over. I was surprised at how many cheers I received in Ontario.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
CFB is one of the few sports where I think coaching actually makes a difference, and Ohio State is so in Michigan's head, they can't make these mistakes, and yet they are...and they aren't even playing poorly, but just enough to hurt themselves, and OSU is capitalizing.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
And what is born when you fail repeatedly in those great opportunities?

See Rich Rod era

Edit: Looking rough right now. Nobody understands your frustration more than I do, was trying to be optimistic. If you want to replace Harbaugh than I want to hear the replacement, don’t make a change just to make a change. That is how you end up in the basement for a decade again, no thank you.

Last edited:

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
See Rich Rod era

Edit: Looking rough right now. Nobody understands your frustration more than I do, was trying to be optimistic. If you want to replace Harbaugh than I want to hear the replacement, don’t make a change just to make a change. That is how you end up in the basement for a decade again, no thank you.

Did I say that? I just want a philosophical change. Too much time is spent praising the history of mediocrity. Be the change, and quit trying to emulate something that doesn’t work, and you can’t replicate.

The first order of business is to fire Don Brown. You do not get to keep your job when you give up 118 points to OSU in the past two games.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm tired of seeing Michigan have a top 5 defense all season only to get lit up when it matters.

I'm looking forward to the post-Patterson era at QB. It baffles me how the winningest program in NCAA, the school that helped produce Tom Brady ffs can never find a top tier QB.

Say Hey Kid

The best all around player ever
Dec 10, 2007
...It baffles me how the winningest program in NCAA, the school that helped produce Tom Brady ffs can never find a top tier QB.
Agreed. Brady started out 7th string and should have been a top 100 pick. Not because my hindsight is 20/20, he was a very good 20-5 college QB.

Last edited:

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Watching Michigan make multiple stupid mistakes in the biggest game of their season was so cringeworthy. Shot themselves in the foot by doing so.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
The first order of business is to fire Don Brown. You do not get to keep your job when you give up 118 points to OSU in the past two games.

That would be a mistake, Don Brown is an amazing defensive coordinator. If you are going to judge him on the last two Ohio games than I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to replace Harbaugh who is 0-5, contradicting yourself there.

Brown is smart, passionate, and breathes football, there is a reason Michigan has a top 5 defense every year after his arrival. He makes great adjustments, defense is almost (besides Ohio) always better in the 2nd half and that is Brown coaching them up and making changes. Ohio is just a much better team, and has been for a long time.

I might be in the minority but I love coach Brown, would rather see a change at head coach than defensive coordinator. And to be clear not advocating for that neither.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
That would be a mistake, Don Brown is an amazing defensive coordinator. If you are going to judge him on the last two Ohio games than I have no idea why you wouldn’t want to replace Harbaugh who is 0-5, contradicting yourself there.

Brown is smart, passionate, and breathes football, there is a reason Michigan has a top 5 defense every year after his arrival. He makes great adjustments, defense is almost (besides Ohio) always better in the 2nd half and that is Brown coaching them up and making changes. Ohio is just a much better team, and has been for a long time.

I might be in the minority but I love coach Brown, would rather see a change at head coach than defensive coordinator. And to be clear not advocating for that neither.

Michigan has the talent advantage to swallow up lesser competition, but when the opposing offensive talent gets ramped up, Brown’s defenses rarely live up to their reputation. He cannot effectively game plan outside of blitzing and overuse of man coverage, which either gets abused by smarter offensive coordinators, or results in a clutch and grab game by the secondary that results in back breaking penalties.

Reactions: RabidBadger

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
Michigan has the talent advantage to swallow up lesser competition, but when the opposing offensive talent gets ramped up, Brown’s defenses rarely live up to their reputation. He cannot effectively game plan outside of blitzing and overuse of man coverage, which either gets abused by smarter offensive coordinators, or results in a clutch and grab game by the secondary that results in back breaking penalties.

Notre Dame and Iowa are both in the top 20 this year, dominated. Did you pay attention today, he played a ton of zone coverage. It wasn’t the passing game that cost them the game this year, it was Ohio’s offensive lineman opening up interstate wide lanes in the running game.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Notre Dame and Iowa are both in the top 20 this year, dominated. Did you pay attention today, he played a ton of zone coverage. It wasn’t the passing game that cost them the game this year, it was Ohio’s offensive lineman opening up interstate wide lanes in the running game.

It was a generalization of Don Brown’s career. The reason you saw zone today is because Urban Meyer’s staff spanned his ass up and down the field for 62 last year abusing the complete unwillingness to use zone. Obviously the running game was the big problem this year, and I don’t think they really had a chance to win, but I can’t even say there was a ton of progress.

Surely you aren’t going to behave like EVERY Michigan fan and try to tell me that Iowa and Notre Dame were trademark wins...

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
It was a generalization of Don Brown’s career. The reason you saw zone today is because Urban Meyer’s staff spanned his ass up and down the field for 62 last year abusing the complete unwillingness to use zone. Obviously the running game was the big problem this year, and I don’t think they really had a chance to win, but I can’t even say there was a ton of progress.

Surely you aren’t going to behave like EVERY Michigan fan and try to tell me that Iowa and Notre Dame were trademark wins...

Notre Dame and Iowa both had winning streaks against Michigan, and are in the top 25, so yeah those are good wins. The way Michigan played these last 4 weeks I definitely thought they had a chance to win, looked like a different team than the beginning of the year.

I know losing this last game of the year is terrible, and something needs to change, but don’t think firing Brown is the answer. Honestly today looked like a huge disparity in recruiting, they are just more talented.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Notre Dame and Iowa both had winning streaks against Michigan, and are in the top 25, so yeah those are good wins. The way Michigan played these last 4 weeks I definitely thought they had a chance to win, looked like a different team than the beginning of the year.

I know losing this last game of the year is terrible, and something needs to change, but don’t think firing Brown is the answer. Honestly today looked like a huge disparity in recruiting, they are just more talented.
Patterson being gone will help a lot...the secondary with exception of Dax Hill sucks especially Metellus...slow as hell. They need to get some bigger bodies in the middle of the Dline...get pushed around way too much

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Um it was Brown’s fault that the middle of the field was open to throw to the RB’s out of the backfield..same thing happened last season...in the Penn State game they let Metellus cover Hamler and he’s so slow...Dax Hill should’ve been on him

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Fingers crossed for Sweet Lou. I'm maybe biased because he was my favorite player as a kid, but if things are settled fairly and properly, he will soon be Hall of Famer Lou Whitaker.

Will be sweet to see him and Trammell together again where they belong.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
Are the Lions just going to suck for all-time?? My whole life they have never been a contender always shit!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->