OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Even with a 4 game slide, they're still very much in the mix. Texas is a team I don't want to face right now...especially when they draw Darvish and Hamels. Sanchez has been decent of late and Boyd has been steady but his best starts are at home.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Funny how fast things can change in a week. Now Iglesias, Castellanos, Maybin and Zimmerman are all on the DL.

Good news is they managed a win tonight and will play primarily at home the rest of the season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Funny how fast things can change in a week. Now Iglesias, Castellanos, Maybin and Zimmerman are all on the DL.

Good news is they managed a win tonight and will play primarily at home the rest of the season.

yeah, injuries have really hurt us recently. The one plus is if Machado comes up and kills it, it might free us to deal Kinsler either in the off-season or at the deadline next season for upgrades elsewhere. It would be a clear downgrade in the infield to shift Iglesias to second and have Machado at short, but maybe we could pull in a nice pitching prospect or two.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Maybin is huge for this team. Hopefully he comes back soon.

Injuries are really no excuse though, given what Cleveland is dealing with. Salazar, Brantley, and Gomes are all hurt.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
On a positive note, the starting pitching has gelled recently. Sanchez has come on and given the team opportunities to win the past few times, something we have not seen all season. Oh yeah, Boyd gets the "W" against Hamels. Nicely done!

We're starting to run out of the "there are plenty of games left" mantra. The offense and bullpen need to back up the starters.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I don't know how they pulled out 2-of-3 against the Rangers. They outright beat Hamels (and should've scored more runs though) and Fulmer dominated their vaunted lineup on Sunday. This is a series that makes you think they're still in this race in spite of the injuries.

They can't take on too many more bumps and bruises. They've got to be about at their limit. Kinsler, Cabrera and the Martinezes are probably good enough to carry them through this current stretch. Really wish we saw more from J-Up. Pitching has been solid. Loved seeing that start out of Boyd. We already know what Fulmer is about.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Injuries are really no excuse though, given what Cleveland is dealing with. Salazar, Brantley, and Gomes are all hurt.

They can be when they are all happening at once.

You can possibly add Cabrera to the mix now. As well as Pelfrey(who I forgot about).

Not that Pelfrey is actually a loss. Just worth noting.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I don't know how they pulled out 2-of-3 against the Rangers. They outright beat Hamels (and should've scored more runs though) and Fulmer dominated their vaunted lineup on Sunday. This is a series that makes you think they're still in this race in spite of the injuries.

They can't take on too many more bumps and bruises. They've got to be about at their limit. Kinsler, Cabrera and the Martinezes are probably good enough to carry them through this current stretch. Really wish we saw more from J-Up. Pitching has been solid. Loved seeing that start out of Boyd. We already know what Fulmer is about.

If not for Sanchez, they were competitive in the first game against Texas too. They pretty much dominated them, all those hits on Hamels, and then Fulmer.

As for Upton, I'm beginning to wonder if the Tigers would just be better off benching him, and keeping Collins out there, although Maybin is still out, so...Upton it is. For that amount of money, he really needs to get his **** together.

Upton is batting a glorious .140 this month, and like a .067 for the past week. This is a hitting team, they need the hitters to hit, especially against the likes of the Royals whom will small ball and out defend the Tigers.

And the Red Sox coming up at the end of the week...such a glorious time at work, 2 of my co-workers are Royals fans and another lives and breathes the Sox and Patriots.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Oh Tigers....

raw

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
"Detrit" Tigers....no "O" in this town.

Gotta take 3 of 4 against Bahstin or the season will start looking like a "do not resuscitate". This was a very " quotation-y" post.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
okay...I thought we brought Presley up from Toledo to be the centerfielder since Maybin is still out, and in the first game he plays...we start Romine in center and put Presley in left? I think Ausmus gets too much flak for how much he actually affects our record at the end of the year, but moves like this is just...ugh.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
Maybe Ausmus needs to give the rest of the offense 3 days off to get their heads straighted out, not just Upton.

The starting pitching is largely carrying their weight, but the offense only scoring a run or the bullpen coming in and giving up timely hits and runs a playoff team does not make.

And this is against a team that came in at 4 in the morning, and is resting Ortiz and Padroia.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Realistically, both Justin Wilson and Cabrera should be on the DL. Collins is now hurt too.

They've been inconsistent all year for sure. But once they finally started to put it together, the injuries happened all at once and they're falling apart.

It feels like the 2009 Tigers in some ways.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
I like what I'm seeing from Boyd, despite the offense trying there best to not back him up. The future looks good with he and Fulmer in the rotation.

It'd be great for the starters to pitch with more than a 1 run lead at times.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
4.5 back from the tribe; late surge or another tease? They've shown plenty o' moxy with all the injuries to still be in it. I hope it's not leading up to a big letdown.

The positives: Maybin is back, Sanchez looks like a starter again, J-Up is hitting, the kids are pitching consistently well.

The negatives: Bull-effin-pen. I run out of fingernails to gnaw on with most of these guys. And, Ausmus. I'm not sold he can take this team far. I'm hoping it's deep run or bust in terms of resigning him.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Our new friend JaCoby Jones needs a nickname. I think Double-J works for me.

I love it when rookies come up and have impact and add energy to the lineup.

What a way to kick off September...big series with the Royals over the weekend.

A huge month ahead obviously. 6 games with Kansas City, 3 with Baltimore, 7 with Cleveland. If they want to play later in October...they've got to take care of business in September. I'd rather it be this way. If they lose and don't get in...they've only got themselves to blame.

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Our new friend JaCoby Jones needs a nickname. I think Double-J works for me.

I love it when rookies come up and have impact and add energy to the lineup.
(...)
Jones oozes potential - it's hard not to get overexcited. Perhaps I should just be relieved that trading for Soria might not turn out to be such a mess.

Gruß,
BSHH

bkozyn19

Oct 29, 2013
any fellow Wings fans want to do a Fantasy football league? Looking to scratch my draft itch, as I'm only in one real life league, maybe a small $5-10 buy in would be fun if there's enough interest? Let me know, and I could set something up through yahoo (or other preferred site).

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It's crazy how well those fire sale trades from last year worked out.

Hauling in 3 guys that are in the starting rotation (Fulmer, Boyd, Norris) is pretty impressive. Jones could turn into a very nice bonus. That's quite a parting gift from Dealin' Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad