OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
So the Indians got Miller but Lucroy vetoed the trade that would've sent him there. Whew.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Weird to say it and with Pelfrey on the bump we might give today back. But could the Tigers be the hard charging second half team of this year? There is generally a team that takes off post all-star break and starts butchering teams. I really hope that is us, this is two extremely impressive series right with Zimmerman and JD on the horizon of returns.

Great week of baseball for them.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
I hope Al hasn't put his phone away quite yet...Indians get Lucroy last night and might be getting Andrew Miller as well.

I still feel the Wild Card play-in game is a far more likely scenario for Detroit. Especially after they landed Miller. But I guess you can never say never.

I mean, Mike Pelfrey is pitching a shutout today :laugh:

Realistically, however, it will once again by Illitch's call. I'm not against making a move...just don't want to give up anything of significance due to our shallow system.

Especially if it's not a real, substantial improvement over what we currently have.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Well, if you want to play in October...beat the other teams trying to get there. 6-0 against Boston and Houston. Love seeing Miggy warm up and a nice stretch of games from J-Up and McCann.

The telltale sign will be how does this team follow up a big week. This has been the 2 steps forward and 2 steps back team. Don't rip off 6 big wins and then barf up a 1-5 or 2-4 stretch.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Well, if you want to play in October...beat the other teams trying to get there. 6-0 against Boston and Houston. Love seeing Miggy warm up and a nice stretch of games from J-Up and McCann.

The telltale sign will be how does this team follow up a big week. This has been the 2 steps forward and 2 steps back team. Don't rip off 6 big wins and then barf up a 1-5 or 2-4 stretch.

No doubt. I think the personnel is there but they've had trouble with consistency. If they can get .500 ball from the the back end of the rotation, meaning eliminating Sanchez' auto "L" as a starter, they should be able to keep things rolling.

The offense has been maddeningly inconsistent given the bats on the team. They have shown some mojo that hasn't been there for a few years though, as in Saturday's great comeback.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Another nice win last night. The Pale Hose have been pesky this year.

Love the matchup tonight...Sale vs. Fulmer. You can cut the tension with a... :sarcasm:

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Will Fulmer get to the minimum number of innings to be up for some end of season awards? If he had the minimum right now he'd have the ERA lead.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Will Fulmer get to the minimum number of innings to be up for some end of season awards? If he had the minimum right now he'd have the ERA lead.

The Tigers have said they are not shutting him down, so if he stays healthy and effective, I don't see why he couldn't reach the inning minimum.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
The Tigs are really rolling. This is great. Hopefully Zimmerman can keep the streak alive tomorrow night.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
And the Tigers win again, while the Tribe drop another one. If we could just be .500 against the Tribe this season we'd be winning the division and one of the best records in baseball. Being 1-11 against them has been killing us.

Ricelund

Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Another big win but losing Castellanos hurts. Maybe they can grab Valencia.

The Tigers are 45-27 since mid-May, the best record in baseball over that period.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Even tho I want the Cubs to finally win one. It would be amazing to see the Tigers beat them for that 13 title or whatever they should have won

Inb4 miss the playoffs

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Another big win but losing Castellanos hurts. Maybe they can grab Valencia.

The Tigers are 45-27 since mid-May, the best record in baseball over that period.

Zimmerman was also placed on the DL after the game. I think we can weather the storm with Zimmerman. Call Norris up for a start or two (and hopefully that's all), and I have faith in the guy giving us quality games.

Losing Castellanos hurts, though. We need Upton to continue his pace since the AS break and shoulder that bottom half of the lineup now. If he can be a big bat behind Miggy, VMart, and JD it would be huge for the Tigers.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Am I the only one remembering what the team was before this streak and expecting them to falter and miss out because of it?

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Today was a very Tigers-like loss.

Meh...They only lost two games on their homestand(with Sanchez starting today, no less) and swept Boston on the road after their disaster in Chicago.

Cleveland, Toronto and possibly Houston losing today all help as well. Winning series is what matters.

I'm far more encouraged that Sanchez looked good again. Even if the Mets offense stinks and Detroit lost today.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Sucks to see them waste a strong start from Sanchez...I pretty much chalked that up as a loss before the game started because of the lineup against a guy like DeGrom. That was an excellent chance to get the division lead to a single game.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed this but K-Rod hasn't been very sharp during this two week stretch. He gives me Todd Jones feelings right now.

Castellanos getting hurt screws the lineup up a bit but at least J.D. is back and hitting.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Am I the only one remembering what the team was before this streak and expecting them to falter and miss out because of it?

Tell me a top team in the AL that isn't capable of going into a freefall?

Boston has had their ups and downs. Toronto and Baltimore can hit but do they have enough pitching? Cleveland is Cleveland...I have more faith in the Tigers because they've been the postseason more frequently. Houston had a surge and they've fallen back behind Seattle. I see Texas as the best team in the AL right now.

Don't forget...back out the 1-11 record against Cleveland, this team is 60-39. It's going to come down to those 7 games in September...don't look too much into what's happening right now. You just want to be within striking distance when we get to mid-September.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad