OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Lions lose next week and start with a 1-2 record, that should probably be 0-3.

Nah...1-2 is about right.

Even with all the ridiculous penalties on both sides, they had no business losing this game. Just like they had no business winning last week after blowing the lead late.

Without Levy and losing Ansah early on doesn't help either. Both those guys need to be on the field if the Lions have any hopes of making the playoffs this year.

As for the Tigers, technically they are still in it because there is so much parity in the AL. I just don't see it happening though.

If they do sneak in, it will be similar to a few years ago when Cleveland, I believe, reached the play-in game despite losing nearly every game to Detroit.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Nah...1-2 is about right.

Even with all the ridiculous penalties on both sides, they had no business losing this game. Just like they had no business winning last week after blowing the lead late.

Without Levy and losing Ansah early on doesn't help either. Both those guys need to be on the field if the Lions have any hopes of making the playoffs this year.

As for the Tigers, technically they are still in it because there is so much parity in the AL. I just don't see it happening though.

If they do sneak in, it will be similar to a few years ago when Cleveland, I believe, reached the play-in game despite losing nearly every game to Detroit.

Kansas City did that and went on to lose to San Francisco in the World Series is what I think you're talking about.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
What a rollercoaster of a season.

No doubt; 4 days ago I thought The Fat Lady was warming up for The Tigers season.

Our juvenile pitching staff is getting it done (Norris is having a strong finish), I feel like it's up to the offense to punch the ticket to the post season. My dream is to avenge the terrible regular season against Cleveland by beating them in the playoffs:yo:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
god these lions are so bad watching it live. At least it's impossible to get mad or disappointed

Riddick gonna finish with - yards rushing for the day

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I watched the lowly Lions lose at Dan Majerle's bar in Phoenix. Ended up chatting with a guy that caught my ear when he name dropped Villa Bakery and their pizza bread.

What was the call on that kickoff penalty? The ball didn't go out of bounds but was touched by a Packer that ran out before touching the ball. No sound on the TV and the broadcast went bonkers. A bunch of Packer fans were screaming at their own player. Game comes back and we're all shocked to see Green Bay at their 40. Brutal call that kept the momentum with Green Bay.

I know the Lions can't help themselves but, I swear, the zebras are against them. Same referee from the phantom facemask during the "Motor City Miracle" last season too.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I watched the lowly Lions lose at Dan Majerle's bar in Phoenix. Ended up chatting with a guy that caught my ear when he name dropped Villa Bakery and their pizza bread.

What was the call on that kickoff penalty? The ball didn't go out of bounds but was touched by a Packer that ran out before touching the ball. No sound on the TV and the broadcast went bonkers. A bunch of Packer fans were screaming at their own player. Game comes back and we're all shocked to see Green Bay at their 40. Brutal call that kept the momentum with Green Bay.

I know the Lions can't help themselves but, I swear, the zebras are against them. Same referee from the phantom facemask during the "Motor City Miracle" last season too.

Well the nfl is rigged

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Aside from your delusional Lions fan, who expected them to win? I'd be concerned if I were a Packers fan.

With Minnesota's injuries and the Packers schedule, they honestly should have the #1 seed in the NFC playoffs. Their defense, however, is as bad, if not worse than the Lions.

I'll consider Ansah/Levy and Matthews a push.

I'm officially punting on the Tigers postseason chances as well after Saturday's collapse. Granted, they're very much alive...but I felt the same way in '07 when Andrew Miller got rocked in Kansas City.

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Seriously, fire Caldwell already. Get someone in there who at least has the first clue about head coaching, that doesn't always have a deer in headlights, expression.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
My friends are treating next weeks game against the Bears as a lock.

It's like being a Lions fan forces you shut off your brain.

Both teams are terrible.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Packers are a mediocre team. Rodgers will get them to 10-6, but until they give him an above average defense, their ceiling will continue to be winning one playoff game.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Packers are a mediocre team. Rodgers will get them to 10-6, but until they give him an above average defense, their ceiling will continue to be winning one playoff game.

Yeah they aren't an elite roster. Defense is too poor for that. But in the NFL a hot QB and a shade of luck is all you need to be a playoff contender. It's one game each time.

The cream usually rises, but you get the multiple wins from Eli Manning's Giants or the Flacco wins to show you it doesn't take a miracle to squeak through like it does in the other major sports.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
The clock on the Tigers' season is at about 11:58. They pretty much can't lose any more games unless the Orioles decide they want to meltdown this week. Doesn't help having Seattle even with the Tigers now, an extra hurdle to contend with.

Verlander, Fulmer and Norris close out the series with Cleveland...the best 3 starters they've got and they've got to run the table to make that Atlanta series meaningful.

Thankfully, Baltimore has to deal with Toronto...who won't want to give up ground to the O's. They're only up a single game.

Seattle closes with Houston and Oakland...winnable games for them. They can't afford to drop any games either.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
It would be nice if The Tigers could channel some of the mojo they had at the end of July. They swept Boston and Houston and were surging to the top of the division. The upswing would likely end the 1st round of playoffs, but I'll take it if it gets them there.

This will be a week of anxious scoreboard watching and hoping the team that gave us glimpses of its potential shows up.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It would be nice if The Tigers could channel some of the mojo they had at the end of July. They swept Boston and Houston and were surging to the top of the division. The upswing would likely end the 1st round of playoffs, but I'll take it if it gets them there.

This will be a week of anxious scoreboard watching and hoping the team that gave us glimpses of its potential shows up.

Losing Castellanos for the season killed us, especially when V-Mart's knee gave him troubles, Kinsler missed games, and Maybin messed up his thumb. We just don't have the depth to cover for all of those injuries and keep winning a bunch of games.

Have to love the young pitchers, though. They've been huge for us.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I know everyone says SOL and theyre only consistent at being inconsistent but let this season play out. Some big injuries already and theyve lost 2 games by a whopping total of 8 points. One game was at a field theyve won at once in 20 something years. Not saying expect a super bowl but if Stafford keeps playing like he is (really ****ing good) and they get healthy, this season is salvageable

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Castellanos is off the DL and might return tomorrow...they've gotten nothing at the 3B position while he was out. Hell, I would've taken Brandon Inge's old ass over there. At least he'd pop one out of the Copa every so often. You had to put up with his .225 average and 2 whiffs a night but he'd surprise you with a 3-run bomb in the 7th of a close game.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I know everyone says SOL and theyre only consistent at being inconsistent but let this season play out. Some big injuries already and theyve lost 2 games by a whopping total of 8 points. One game was at a field theyve won at once in 20 something years. Not saying expect a super bowl but if Stafford keeps playing like he is (really ****ing good) and they get healthy, this season is salvageable

The season is salvageable because of how ****** their schedule is. The SEC thinks the Lions have an easy schedule this year.

I told my dart buddies last night...if they don't beat the Bears this weekend, fire Caldwell now.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Losing Castellanos for the season killed us, especially when V-Mart's knee gave him troubles, Kinsler missed games, and Maybin messed up his thumb. We just don't have the depth to cover for all of those injuries and keep winning a bunch of games.

Have to love the young pitchers, though. They've been huge for us.

Add Zimermann and, don't laugh, Pelfrey to the list (he gave us a better chance to win than Sanchez or Farmer). It has been a good showing despite injuries, but it will still deflate me if they miss out after coming so close. I still refuse to bury them at this point.

Fulmer, Boyd and. Norris will help comprise a rotation from hell if everyone is healthy next year. On paper it's the best the starting rotation has looked for a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad