OT: Michigan Sports Talk Part VI: Oh Look, it's Tiger Bullpen Implosion Time Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Say what you want about this team...they're very much in the postseason mix. I have to believe they look at adding a pitcher before the end of the month...a bullpen arm namely.
Their bullpen has actually been a strength as of late. Greene, J. Wilson, and Rodriguez have been great for the most part.

I bet they'll try to add a starter. If Zimmermann can return to form, Norris stays healthy, and they add a decent starter, they'll be in pretty good shape to make a run for the division. Pelfrey and Sanchez are miserable.

Verlander
Zimmermann
Fulmer
TDL acquisition
Norris/Boyd

I can actually see them getting Sabathia.

Last edited:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Their bullpen has actually been a strength as of late. Greene, J. Wilson, and Rodriguez have been great for the most part.

I bet they'll try to add a starter. If Zimmermann can return to form, Norris stays healthy, and they add a decent starter, they'll be in pretty good shape to make a run for the division. Pelfrey and Sanchez are miserable.

Verlander
Zimmermann
Fulmer
TDL acquisition
Norris/Boyd

I can actually see them getting Sabathia.

Nope. Not at that salary and the Tigers don't have the young talent to get him.

M WINGS

Jul 3, 2016
minnesota
Sanchez did ok until the 6th. The Tiger bats weren't worth crap tonight. Losing to the Twins is not good, not good at all..

BSHH

HSVer & Rotflügel
Apr 12, 2009
Hamburg
Sanchez did ok until the 6th. The Tiger bats weren't worth crap tonight. Losing to the Twins is not good, not good at all..
Yesterday's loss was extremely painful. Finally, Sanchez has his first solid start since April, but he gets no run support. Ausmus must have thought that Sanchez' good 6th inning showed some promise for the 7th, but the Tigers' bullpen - albeit it has improved massively - is very bad in stranding inherited runners. He'd better give clean innings to his relievers or at least get the best one to solve difficult situations (which would have been Greene, who was not overworked).

Anyway, I hope and pray that the Tigers do not buy at the deadline. The roster needs to step up collectively, this is not a case of one part missing. The young talent from last year's selling is keeping this team afloat right now, so I'd hate to see some prospects for rentals like Rich Hill.

Gruß,
BSHH

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I love day baseball, since I can listen at work, but god damn, what a way to waste a start by JV (hisses to everyone not named Kinsler, although Aviles got a nice double).

McCann is useless, and VMart has been invisible, and they only managed 4 runs against the Twins...this team is going places alright.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
I've talked with Lyn Henning several times and he says don't be surprised if they sell off a few players...including Verlander

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
No way to spin it...brutal effort against the Twins. Starting pitching was solid but what good is it if you can't scrape together some runs against a bottom-feeder.

They need J.D. back because they've gotten very little from RF.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
No way to spin it...brutal effort against the Twins. Starting pitching was solid but what good is it if you can't scrape together some runs against a bottom-feeder.

They need J.D. back because they've gotten very little from RF.

Flawed team is flawed, they can't ever stay running on all cylinders. Either they get hitting, and the SP falls apart, they get SP, hitters don't hit, or the bullpen blows up, with yesterday a combination of #2 and #3.

Also defensively suspect, too bad the Tigers can't draft either, because there's no one ready to come up from Toledo and challenge things.

And Ausmus. I just can't see the Tigers extending his contract. It's not all on him (the players have to perform), but he sets the lineup, and he just doesn't have enough experience to get the team over the hump.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Bullpen can't blow an 8th or 9th inning lead if you don't play the full 9. I'll take it!

The offense is still a bit stagnant but nice to see Miggy put one into orbit.

Kinsler continues to have a strong season...I'd argue he's been the best Tiger other than Fulmer. He's definitely the most consistent player this year.

J.D. is taking batting practice now...so there's that.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
A sweep in Fenway...who are these guys and what did they do with the real Tigers?

Seriously though, helluva nice series for the Kitties.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
That was a series that shows your former players will always come back to bite you in the arse, with Iglesias and Salty coming up with big plays.

All cylinders were firing for a change which was nice to see. MC Kitties are chipping away at cleveland's lead.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Standing pat seems like a good option. The farm system has endured several years of gutting by being buyers.

Getting Zims/Norris back and getting Sanchez back into the pen could be enough boost to win the Central. I hate to sound like Ken Holland saying getting an injured player back will be the big deadline deal, but a healthy team could very well get the team to the playoffs.

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Huge series (for late July) against Houston...

Boyd vs. McHugh
Fiers vs. Verlander
Keuchel vs. Pelfrey

Can't expect another sweep but 2 of 3 against a fellow wild card contender wouldn't be too much to ask. Win the Verlander and split the other two. Not been too impressed with Keuchel after last year.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
So... buy?

Getting J.D. back is about as good as any bat that's out there.

I'd say add a bullpen arm but not on the level of Chapman or Miller. Price is going to be way too high.

As Rabid mentioned...they'll get Zimmermann back soon. The rotation will improve some.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Getting J.D. back is about as good as any bat that's out there.

I'd say add a bullpen arm but not on the level of Chapman or Miller. Price is going to be way too high.

As Rabid mentioned...they'll get Zimmermann back soon. The rotation will improve some.

If we can get Zim and Norris back, or even just Zim, I'd try selling off Pelfrey while desperation is high for someone. The guy is lousy and we're already looking at moving one high priced failed starter (Sanchez) to the pen.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Yeah if you can sell scraps like Pelfry for a legit prospect, then I'd consider that, but they should not be buying this year. The Tigers are getting legit players back in JD, Zim, and potentially Norris. I mean if the Wings had been looking solid without Abby, Datsyuk, and Larkin then yeah I'd be ok with the a GM saying our deadline acquisition is _______ players coming back from injury. The issue is that the Wings are not usually playing well without those players lol.

Reality Check

May 28, 2008
Yeah if you can sell scraps like Pelfry for a legit prospect.

:laugh:

If the Tigers make a move, it will be for a back-rotation starter or another bullpen arm. In other words, small, low cost and not until the August waiver period.

Something like Delmon Young in 2011.

RabidBadger

Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
:laugh:

If the Tigers make a move, it will be for a back-rotation starter or another bullpen arm. In other words, small, low cost and not until the August waiver period.

Something like Delmon Young in 2011.

I'm hearing Drew Smyly's name in the rumor mill for a potential trade (I know he's having a bad year, change of scenery would be good for him). If they make the playoffs I would feel good rolling out JV, JZ, Fullmer and Smyly. That would also get Sanchez back to the pen which can not happen soon enough in my book. I'm good with a solid minor roster tweak.

We also might be seeing Joe Jimenez come up from The Dirty Chickens to add to the pen. He sounds impressive by what they were saying about him on The Ticket.

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I've gotta say, it was nice seeing the much-maligned bottom of the order steal that game back away from the Astros after Verlander was kept in too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia