Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny agreed to a multi year deal to stay with the Caps. 4 years at 2.5 mil

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Per Izzy:

Capitals have $9.7 million left in salary-cap space, per @CapFriendly, and the only big deal left is Tom Wilson. I've heard his deal ballparked in the $3.5 million to $4.5 million range, but he's a tough one to price because his effect on the game isn't always reflected in stats.

Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Per Izzy:

Capitals have $9.7 million left in salary-cap space, per @CapFriendly, and the only big deal left is Tom Wilson. I've heard his deal ballparked in the $3.5 million to $4.5 million range, but he's a tough one to price because his effect on the game isn't always reflected in stats.
iYU4dx7.gif

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Awesome deal. No reason to think Kempny won't continue his play with Reirden staying.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
First off, I like the deal a lot. I like this player. Yeah, it's possible that we may look back on this as a bad move based on too small of a sample size, but the AAV is just so low in an $80M cap world that the contract will never be too much of a burden to bury, ditch, or buy-out.

But I am kind of shocked Kempny wanted this deal. A lot of us were assuming a 3 year sweet spot, but if anything, I would have guessed Kempny would have wanted LESS term, not more. If, in year 1, he validates the play we saw from him this spring and confirms his status as a solid #4 defenseman, he is immediately very underpaid in the present-day NHL. While I think we all understand why he would be interested in the short-term at grabbing the opportunity to stick with the team where he found an NHL home and enjoyed success within a system that complimented him, a cynic might wonder why he was so eager to forego the opportunity to be a UFA in 2 seasons given that he was passing up the likely potential of bigger short-term offers. In 2020, he'd be 29 years old and potentially in line for a big 5-yr type contract (be it from us or on the open market) if he proved himself to be a solid top-4 performer. Under this deal, he won't be a UFA until age 31, loses the chance to get a big pay day for those Age 29 and 30 seasons, and he is less likely to ever get another long-term contract.

I dunno, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. But, in any event, I'm happy.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Johansen, Hobbs, Siegenthaler, Djoos, and Bowey. Plus the Russian kid they just drafted but he is probably safe.

5 young guys for two spots on the blue line the next 3 seasons. Have to think they could package two or three of them for a trade in the future

This is why I’m fine drafting d and g. I feel like teams are always desperate for those guys and we can get solid middle 6 wings prospects in trades easier then the other way around

Reactions: TheFountainhead

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well. Well. I forgot English.

Kempny is here for long.

Maybe Orpik should be gone then because he blocks every LD candidate, and we better have some playtested.

I just hope Reirden knows something which makes 4Y term ok.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Very fair deal. Nothing fantastic about it. Maclellan is all about business and doesnt let the post-cup mood take the best of him. Very close to what Kempny should have got.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I still like a one year cheap contract for Orpik and letting him play 50% of the games, if he likes that he could do that a couple years and work more with the coaches if he wants to do that when he retires.

But that may be something he has no interest in

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Feb 6, 2010
First off, I like the deal a lot. I like this player. Yeah, it's possible that we may look back on this as a bad move based on too small of a sample size, but the AAV is just so low in an $80M cap world that the contract will never be too much of a burden to bury, ditch, or buy-out.

But I am kind of shocked Kempny wanted this deal. A lot of us were assuming a 3 year sweet spot, but if anything, I would have guessed Kempny would have wanted LESS term, not more. If, in year 1, he validates the play we saw from him this spring and confirms his status as a solid #4 defenseman, he is immediately very underpaid in the present-day NHL. While I think we all understand why he would be interested in the short-term at grabbing the opportunity to stick with the team where he found an NHL home and enjoyed success within a system that complimented him, a cynic might wonder why he was so eager to forego the opportunity to be a UFA in 2 seasons given that he was passing up the likely potential of bigger short-term offers. In 2020, he'd be 29 years old and potentially in line for a big 5-yr type contract (be it from us or on the open market) if he proved himself to be a solid top-4 performer. Under this deal, he won't be a UFA until age 31, loses the chance to get a big pay day for those Age 29 and 30 seasons, and he is less likely to ever get another long-term contract.

I dunno, maybe I'm looking at this wrong. But, in any event, I'm happy.
These are my thoughts exactly. The pessimist in me says if he was as confident in his ability to be an every day top-4 like we believe, he would take a shorter deal to prove it and cash in when he can. Low dollar amounts like this with term always make me wonder.

Not bashing the player or the deal as I love them both, just makes you think.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
I still like a one year cheap contract for Orpik and letting him play 50% of the games, if he likes that he could do that a couple years and work more with the coaches if he wants to do that when he retires.

But that may be something he has no interest in
What about a mid-season Orpik return. Give him some time off to recharge the batteries, then have him start to ramp up sometime in January. Lets the kids take the lion share of playing time and tougher minutes in the beginning portion of the season, so they get that experience, but brings in the defensive stopper for the stretch run.

Reactions: Corby78

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad