Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny agreed to a multi year deal to stay with the Caps. 4 years at 2.5 mil

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
What was the biggest issue with Bowey last year? I don't feel like I really saw enough to know but he clearly wasn't the answer.
Thinking and not reacting. Like a quarter second slow with everything.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What was the biggest issue with Bowey last year? I don't feel like I really saw enough to know but he clearly wasn't the answer.
I think it was his decision making and not making decisions quick enough. That should improve with experience.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Worst on ice save percentage on Caps for Jerabek regular and postseason. In the regular season his time in the lineup reflected the best stretch of goalie play for the team all year so that’s rough.

I thought the plan for Bowey was for Orpik or an Orpik type to be a placeholder for him if he’s still thinking and not reacting.
You guys get too carried away with advanced stats. They are inaccurate. If you want to evaluate a player you need to see him play.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
You guys get too carried away with advanced stats. They are inaccurate. If you want to evaluate a player you need to see him play.
I saw every minute he played for the Caps and he was without question the worst defenseman at defense I've seen on this team in the last decade, a span in which I've seen about 95% of the minutes. I think people get too carried away saying stuff like player x is tough or soft or good or bad or whatever, and yet with Jerabek I can point to advanced stats which say he's awful at defense, the results of the team in which 2 game winning goals were scored by guys within 18" of him (the only 2 postseason games he played), the fact that they won the Stanley Cup without him, and finally the fact the hockey I watched indicated to me that he was worse than Djoos and was lacking in areas that cannot be taught.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I saw every minute he played for the Caps and he was without question the worst defenseman at defense I've seen on this team in the last decade, a span in which I've seen about 95% of the minutes. I think people get too carried away saying stuff like player x is tough or soft or good or bad or whatever, and yet with Jerabek I can point to advanced stats which say he's awful at defense, the results of the team in which 2 game winning goals were scored by guys within 18" of him (the only 2 postseason games he played), the fact that they won the Stanley Cup without him, and finally the fact the hockey I watched indicated to me that he was worse than Djoos and was lacking in areas that cannot be taught.

Guess you missed guys like:

Sloan
Helmer
Staffan Kronwall
Lepisto

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Guess you missed guys like:

Sloan
Helmer
Staffan Kronwall
Lepisto
I take Helmer and Lepisto over Jerabek defensively, I remember Kronwall just because of his bro but don't remember how he played in those 40 minutes, and will give you Sloan he was worse.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Nobody questions Bowey's tools, it's whether or not he has the toolbox to wield them effectively at the NHL level that is the question. I wouldn't bail on him yet, but I wouldn't carve out a spot among the top 6 defensemen for him, either. I'm fine with Bowey as a 7/8 on paper.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Nobody questions Bowey's tools, it's whether or not he has the toolbox to wield them effectively at the NHL level that is the question. I wouldn't bail on him yet, but I wouldn't carve out a spot among the top 6 defensemen for him, either. I'm fine with Bowey as a 7/8 on paper.

This....it’s all mental.

I think his struggles are much exaggerated and no different than the laugher season Orlov or any other young guy struggling to break into the NHL, tend to have early.

Reactions: maacoshark

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
This....it’s all mental.

I think his struggles are much exaggerated and no different than the laugher season Orlov or any other young guy struggling to break into the NHL, tend to have early.

Orlov's first season was hardly a laugher. 60 games under Hunter, 3 goals+16 assists, strong positive relative possession. Granted Orlov spend a lot of time alongside Green during his first two seasons but he showed a ton more in his first season than Bowey.

That being said I'd like to see Bowey alongside Djoos, Kempny, or Orlov before I really make an educated guess whether he's got a good NHL future or not. Orpik was great off the ice by all accounts but he's not an easy player for a rookie to play with on the ice and it's not really a surprise Bowey struggled with Orpik seeing as Bowey had literally all of the transition and o-zone responsibility in that pairing. It's also not surprising that in the few minutes that Bowey spent away from Orpik he was much better, at least according to the numbers. I'd imagine Bowey's defensive game and decision making will come around once he is on a pairing where the load (in all 3 zones) is shared. I don't really buy the "one D is the transition guy, one D is the stay-at-home" being ideal. It doesn't apply to Orlov-Niskanen or Kempny-Carlson, all four of who can play in all three zones pretty well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hivemind

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I agree that Jerabek is bad defensively but I think Djoos was worst because he got pushed around so easily. He is the weakest dman physically that I have ever seen in the league. Jerabek isn't alot stronger though. Djoos is better offensively by quite a but though. I wouldn't even bother keeping Jerabek around.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Orlov's first season was hardly a laugher. 60 games under Hunter, 3 goals+16 assists, strong positive relative possession. Granted Orlov spend a lot of time alongside Green during his first two seasons but he showed a ton more in his first season than Bowey.

That being said I'd like to see Bowey alongside Djoos, Kempny, or Orlov before I really make an educated guess whether he's got a good NHL future or not. Orpik was great off the ice by all accounts but he's not an easy player for a rookie to play with on the ice and it's not really a surprise Bowey struggled with Orpik seeing as Bowey had literally all of the transition and o-zone responsibility in that pairing. It's also not surprising that in the few minutes that Bowey spent away from Orpik he was much better, at least according to the numbers. I'd imagine Bowey's defensive game and decision making will come around once he is on a pairing where the load (in all 3 zones) is shared. I don't really buy the "one D is the transition guy, one D is the stay-at-home" being ideal. It doesn't apply to Orlov-Niskanen or Kempny-Carlson, all four of who can play in all three zones pretty well.
Orlov struggled in his first few seasons. He made a lot more mental errors than Bowey did. In fact Orlov still makes those mistakes from time to time.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Advanced stats dont tell the entire story. If they were that accurate then that would make Beagle one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Advanced stats dont tell the entire story. If they were that accurate then that would make Beagle one of the worst defensive forwards in the league.
Yeah you've got to look at different stuff. Carlson's Corsi was garbage for years because Alzner barely shoots the puck on net. Beagle's is garbage the last 2 years but his on ice save % is strong. The PK GAA for Beagle of 8.8 is the stat I was like whoa maybe we should move on.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Defensively..his career early was a laugher.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad