Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny agreed to a multi year deal to stay with the Caps. 4 years at 2.5 mil

Ridley Simon

Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Great for the guy and the team. lets not forget 3 years ago the guy was a 24 year old playing Czech League.
He really has done it afterwards the hard way.
This is the first big contract he is signing and for his financial indepandence after his hockey career. The guy did not have multi million dollar deals before this contract.
That is properly why for him term was more important than 500 TUSD more per.

Reactions: Drakon

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Low dollar amounts like this with term always make me wonder.
Not bashing the player or the deal as I love them both, just makes you think.

Maybe he isn't that true top-4 D some think he is.
But if he's solid 3rd pair 2-way D with ability to play 2LD if required - 2,5M is a good price.

And I think Vrana seems very happy when he has someone to talk to in native language.

Reactions: The Instigator

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Brian McClellen this is how I feel about you today:

giphy.gif

Jun 15, 2007
2.5 AAV makes Kempny tied for the 103rd most expensive defenseman in the league. So he's making number 4 defenseman money. In 4 years the cap will have gone up at least 10m, so that'll probably be number 5 money.

Considering he only has 100gp and is only 27 he will most likely improve over the course of this contract.

I'm predicting the last year of his contract will be amazing value. He'll likely be worth double.

Reactions: Drakon

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Kempny re-signed? -Great!
For 4 years? -Awesome?
At 2.5M per? -Fantastic!

I mean, he's no Jack Johnson, but we'll take it, haha.

IMO, there should be no worries about why he would agree to this. Dude thought he wasn't gonna make it in the NHL just a couple of months ago. Saved by divine intervention and a bald D whisperer. Has been around the block long enough to know nothing is certain. Probably thought -- if I can get a Cup and a nice round 10M out of my NHL career, take it and run...

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
Kempny re-signed? -Great!
For 4 years? -Awesome?
At 2.5M per? -Fantastic!

I mean, he's no Jack Johnson, but we'll take it, haha.

IMO, there should be no worries about why he would agree to this. Dude thought he wasn't gonna make it in the NHL just a couple of months ago. Saved by divine intervention and a bald D whisperer. Has been around the block long enough to know nothing is certain. Probably thought -- if I can get a Cup and a nice round 10M out of my NHL career, take it and run...
f*** I wasn't expecting this, almost spit out my beer!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I didnt think he would get 3 per season like a lot of people here thought. I think this contract is reasonable.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
Wonderful! Now to let’s see if we can keep Willy and Beags. After that we’ll need to add a stay home defenseman to replace Orpik.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->