Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny agreed to a multi year deal to stay with the Caps. 4 years at 2.5 mil

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I'm have no problem with anything around 3. He's a good player, jack of all trades type with no glaring flaws. He's shown he fits really well with Carlson and he's a UFA.
To get that salary he has to show he can handle at least Orpik's workload. And I know how much Orpik's been making on that contract. That was a big overpayment

third man in

Jul 27, 2007
Maryland
To get that salary he has to show he can handle at least Orpik's workload. And I know how much Orpik's been making on that contract. That was a big overpayment
It's not like Kempny is weak defensively. I'd expect him to be on the PK this year, especially if they don't bring Orpik back. So with some PK time would bring him up to around 20 TOI which is perfectly reasonable for a #4. Also 3mil is less than 4% of the Cap, which is cheap for a capable defenseman.

Reactions: TheFountainhead

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Four years, $2.5m per year, from Isabelle

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Kempny deal is for four years at $2.5 million per, Caps announce.

Isabelle Khurshudyan @ikhurshudyan
Think that’s probably a year longer than the Capitals wanted to go, but a little more term keeps the AAV down and Kempny had a lot of suitors.

EDIT: U GOT 2 BE HAPPY ABOUT THAT DEAL

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The term might be a bit steep given what's in the system but it's bearable on the third pair (or moving in between) and very likely movable should Reirden continue to do his thing.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013

OV Rocks

Jan 5, 2014
Beach with Beer
Johansen, Hobbs, Siegenthaler, Djoos, and Bowey. Plus the Russian kid they just drafted but he is probably safe.

5 young guys for two spots on the blue line the next 3 seasons. Have to think they could package two or three of them for a trade in the future

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
A little worried about the term considering all we do is draft LHD, but great AAV and certainly a moveable deal if he continues his current level of play. Great to see Mac doing work.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Jun 15, 2007
God damn that's an amazing contract.

This will be the best contract in the NHL.

Empty Goal Net

Do I see another GOAT?
Feb 13, 2010
Good, possibly great deal for both parties. This past season, Kempny was adjusting to the NHL game. Based on the improvements in his play during the three months he had with the Caps, imo he can be a solid 3/4. He'll have the benefit of additional time to learn the system and his mates' tendencies. The last two years of that contract could be a real value.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00