Confirmed with Link: Michal Kempny agreed to a multi year deal to stay with the Caps. 4 years at 2.5 mil

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Is Jerabek still under contract? Him and Kempny were supposed to be BFFs and have sick chemistry or something

Orlov Niskanen
Djoos Carlson
Jerabek Kempny

Could actually be a better D than last year.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Carlson was 21 gp, 4g 17a, 21p +5 starting Kempnys 2nd game, 62 gp 47p -5 up to that point.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
I don’t know if I’ve seen a player worse defensively than Jerabek, he was getting dunked on against Columbus, Djoos weighs like 160 and played bigger

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
That’s an awfully big assumption when you’re going for the repeat.

Djoos seems poised to break out now that he's used to the NHL pace given that he's a cerebral smooth skating player.

Jerabek idk, him having a full training camp and chemistry with Kempny could help elevate the pairing

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I don’t know if I’ve seen a player worse defensively than Jerabek, he was getting dunked on against Columbus, Djoos weighs like 160 and played bigger

Regular season he looked like he had some potential ala djoos-type but yeah CBus owned him in those early games.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
For the record Jerabek was hardly alone in getting worked vs CBus. Heck, we almost lost game 3 without him. It was telling that Reirden chose him over DJoos to start, even if it didn't work out. It was his first loff, and Grubby didn't give the team nor him much support.

Orlov with admitted tougher assignments had more than a few head scratching plays and no one ever said anything. Worse than anything we saw from Jerabek.

I would be fine with him back as a 7 on a 1 year, unless we go after Orpik instead.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Djoos seems poised to break out now that he's used to the NHL pace given that he's a cerebral smooth skating player.

Jerabek idk, him having a full training camp and chemistry with Kempny could help elevate the pairing

I think Caps should bring back either Orpik or Jerabek...not to partner with Kempny persay, but to round out the defense.

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
For the record Jerabek was hardly alone in getting worked vs CBus. Heck, we almost lost game 3 without him. It was telling that Reirden chose him over DJoos to start, even if it didn't work out. It was his first loff, and Grubby didn't give the team nor him much support.

Orlov with admitted tougher assignments had more than a few scratching plays and no one ever said anything. Worse than anything we saw from Jerabek.

I would be fine with him back as a 7 on a 1 year, unless we go after Orpik instead.
Every year they’ve lost in the playoffs there’s been some defenseman who seems to be the victim in every big goal, mostly Green then Orpik, where it looks like their body isn’t willing, or in slow motion the other guy just picks up the puck faster than our guy. But on the Panarin OT goal he doesn’t really commit when his partner got beat, ok maybe he’s worried about the pass, but then with the one handed Calvert goal it was like what is your level of commitment to defense and this team when you’re standing around like that in the crease in OT.

Reactions: RandyHolt

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Every year they’ve lost in the playoffs there’s been some defenseman who seems to be the victim in every big goal, ....

Fair enough. But I thought he was a placeholder for Djoos all along, regardless. Panarin is a handful very slick and tough to defend. I will laugh at CBus for what they will look like should they let him walk.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'd probably rather spend a little more to bring Orpik back than bring Jerabek back. I thought Jerabek played well down the stretch for Washington but his style is a bit redundant with Djoos in the lineup. Orpik staying fresh by playing 50-60 games in the regular season as a 6/7D sounds like a solid plan for somebody who provides a more specialized game.

Have to wonder what their plans are with Bowey. While Djoos's spot on the roster probably isn't totally locked in, Bowey still feels like the odd man out with all the prospects knocking on the door behind him. And if it's true that they're bringing in a 6/7 from FA then you'd imagine it's Bowey who gets the short end of the stick. Would it be that shocking if he gets waived in September?

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'd probably rather spend a little more to bring Orpik back than bring Jerabek back. I thought Jerabek played well down the stretch for Washington but his style is a bit redundant with Djoos in the lineup. Orpik staying fresh by playing 50-60 games in the regular season as a 6/7D sounds like a solid plan for somebody who provides a more specialized game.

Have to wonder what their plans are with Bowey. While Djoos's spot on the roster probably isn't totally locked in, Bowey still feels like the odd man out with all the prospects knocking on the door behind him. And if it's true that they're bringing in a 6/7 from FA then you'd imagine it's Bowey who gets the short end of the stick. Would it be that shocking if he gets waived in September?

I think it would be pretty shocking. A player with Bowey's profile would almost certainly be picked up off waivers and should return something in a trade.

I'd like to see Bowey get some time with Kempny or Orlov this year. With the Caps having won a Cup and the team returning 5 of 6 guys from the Cup run on the blueline I'd like to see them mix and match pairs during the season. Down the stretch you presumably put 2-9 and 6-74 back together but I don't see any reason the team can't give extended looks to Djoos and Bowey throughout portions of the season.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Disagree. I'm not high on Jerabek either but Djoos is worse defensively. I've never seen a dman get manhandled so easily before. He looses every board battle. Djoos is decent carrying the puck but the rest of his game is pretty weak.
And I would definitely leave Kempny paired with Carlson. They seemed to play well together.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder if Hobbs or Lewington @7 have any chance this year. They let Bowey cut his teeth last year (and we won a cup) so see no reason to expect much different this year.

Where DJoos slots may decide Bowey's fate. Lucas as well. I would try to hold onto Bowey to keep the RD pipe loaded.

About Jerabek, Alan May was a big fan.

Reactions: cleaver

Silky mitts

Mar 9, 2004
Disagree. I'm not high on Jerabek either but Djoos is worse defensively. I've never seen a dman get manhandled so easily before. He looses every board battle. Djoos is decent carrying the puck but the rest of his game is pretty weak.
And I would definitely leave Kempny paired with Carlson. They seemed to play well together.
Worst on ice save percentage on Caps for Jerabek regular and postseason. In the regular season his time in the lineup reflected the best stretch of goalie play for the team all year so that’s rough.

I thought the plan for Bowey was for Orpik or an Orpik type to be a placeholder for him if he’s still thinking and not reacting.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
I wonder if Hobbs or Lewington @7 have any chance this year. They let Bowey cut his teeth last year (and we won a cup) so see no reason to expect much different this year.

Where DJoos slots may decide Bowey's fate. Lucas as well. I would try to hold onto Bowey to keep the RD pipe loaded.

About Jerabek, Alan May was a big fan.

I'm good with Jerabek and/or other in house options @6&7. We've been loading up on D and I really like some of those kids. I was high on Djoos and thought he was really good. He hould only get better. I hope he's pounding protein shakes.

That being the case, my dream of JVR on a 1/5 is still possible. :towel:

Last edited:
Reactions: RandyHolt

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Def shocking. Guy has league wide value, as his young age of 23. He had pedigree when drafted. Played well enough to get a look at 22, and has ALL the physical tools. There was a time in the very recent past that he was an HF darling (for what that matters).

He’s not going to get waived. Traded maybe, sure. Especially to a Canadian team. But not waived.

I’d even pair him w Kempny. Djoos w Carlson. Least for a spell. Good to create added chemistry between all the D-men, preparing for an injury at some time

Last edited:

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Def shocking. Guy has league wide value, as his young age of 23. He had pedigree when drafted. Played well enough to get a look at 22, and has ALL the physical tools. There was a time in the very recent past that he was an HF darling (for what that matters).

He’s not going to get waived. Traded maybe, sure. Especially to a Canadian team. But not waived.

I’d even pair him w Kempny. Djoos w Carlson. Least for a spell. Good to create added chemistry between all the D-men, preparing for an injury at some time

What was the biggest issue with Bowey last year? I don't feel like I really saw enough to know but he clearly wasn't the answer.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
What was the biggest issue with Bowey last year? I don't feel like I really saw enough to know but he clearly wasn't the answer.

Re: Bowey, imho, he had some strong games and inconsistent games and when everything tightened up towards the playoff push (last quarter of the regular season) he looked a little overwhelmed. Typical for D development in the NHL. Still high on Bowey personally.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Mostly bad decisions, and fumbled pucks.

He’s fast enough to not get walked
He’s strong enough to win board battles and loose pucks
He’s skilled enough to make outlet passes, shoot the puck on net
He’s mean enough to play w an edge

So....what’s left?

His experience level....which will get better.
His brain....which will get.....???

He could easily be a top 4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad