Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSP2018

Nov 20, 2018
He was told to work on his legs/skating from day 1. He wasted some time thinking it was owed to him because he was a first rounder. not getting claimed must have finally sparked something between his ears. I haven't seen him play since, is he faster or more ''involved'' than he used to be ? he looked painfully uninterested, I'm happy for him if working with bouchard in the AHL helps revive the dream of playing in the NHL.

What the actual hell is this ? This is total BS wasted some time ?

Reactions: DAChampion

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
Where do some of you come up with this nonsense?

What the actual hell is this ? This is total BS wasted some time ?

which part of what I said do you have a problem with exactly?

that's him bragging about losing ''a lot'' of fat and getting a skating coach.... 5 years after being drafted. Is he some sort of god handling the puck with magical hands? he needed to put in the work - he did not, obviously.

Last edited:

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
which part of what I said do you have a problem with exactly?

The entire train of illogical reasoning.

that's him bragging about losing ''a lot'' of fat and getting a skating coach.... 5 years after being drafted. Is he some sort of god handling the puck with magical hands? he needed to put in the work - he did not, obviously.

Let's go over some of your reasoning failures:

1) You're assuming that what Eric Engels wrote is an exact description of McCarron's summer activities.
2) You use of quotation marks shows that you're assuming that a loss of ~5 lbs of fat while gaining a lot of muscle is not impressive.
3) You're assuming that if McCarron trained in the summer of 2018, then he did not train in the previous summers because he was being lazy, as opposed to the possibility that he was training on other issues, or that he got advice to train smarter.
4) You're then assuming then this makes McCarron arrogant.
5) Which you then assume is due to a sense of entitlement that he had from being a first round draft pick.
6) You're also assuming that he was given correct and specific advice from day 1.

q3iCWqE.gif

You're making a lot of irrational and unfounded assumptions.

Here's what we actually know:

1) Eric Engels gave a brief description of McCarron's summer 2018 training program, over his Twitter account. He says that McCarron hired a skating coach this summer. He did not say that McCarron had never previously worked on his skating.
2) McCarron is a more effective skater this year.
3) Bouchard is putting McCarron in a position to succeed, rather than in a position to fail.
4) McCarron is playing more effectively, and with more confidence.

There are other possibilities for what could have happened. For example it could be that McCarron trained in previous summers, but that he was not successful. This can happen if he has an injury, or if he is given the wrong advice on how to train. It may be that McCarron had been given the wrong advice on which coach to hire, or that he's got such a peculiar body type that only a small fraction of skating coaches will be able to teach him proper technique. Sometimes people train properly, but are not immediately successful. It can also be that McCarron was training on the wrong things, for example it's possible that Lefebvre told him to focus on fighting.

Last edited:

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007

1) You're assuming that what Eric Engels wrote is an exact description of McCarron's summer activities.
2) You use of quotation marks shows that you're assuming that a loss of ~5 lbs of fat while gaining a lot of muscle is not impressive.
3) You're assuming that if McCarron trained in the summer of 2018, then he did not train in the previous summers because he was being lazy, as opposed to the possibility that he was training on other issues, or that he got advice to train smarter.
5) Which you then assume is due to a sense of entitlement that he had from being a first round draft pick.
6) You're also assuming that he was given correct and specific advice from day 1.

q3iCWqE.gif

1) Eric Engels gave a brief description of McCarron's summer 2018 training program, over his Twitter account. He says that McCarron hired a skating coach this summer. He did not say that McCarron had never previously worked on his skating.
3) Bouchard is putting McCarron in a position to succeed, rather than in a position to fail.

There are other possibilities for what could have happened. For example it could be that McCarron trained in previous summers, but that he was not successful. This can happen if he has an injury, or if he is given the wrong advice on how to train. It may be that McCarron had been given the wrong advice on which coach to hire, or that he's got such a peculiar body type that only a small fraction of skating coaches will be able to teach him proper technique. Sometimes people train properly, but are not immediately successful. It can also be that McCarron was training on the wrong things, for example it's possible that Lefebvre told him to focus on fighting.

So ... by assuming everything you just wrote , you wanted to show me not to assume anything. The couple of sentences in my original post are pretty clear, I'm sorry if they hurt you. Thanks for the laugh :)

I'm going to go with colonel mustard, in the kitchen, with the lead pipe.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Between Evans, McCarron, Danault, and Olofsson the Habs should have enough to maintain a strong bottom six over the next several years. Some say that Poehling will be a third line centre as well.

It's obviously not the greatest thing, but it's still good to have.

There's probably no actual room for McCarron as a centreman, but if he's eventually a winger who plays centre when other players are injured, then that's good too.

Don’t forget Vejdemo

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Maybe it’s just me but in a highly competitive world where you know skating it at a premium and you know you have a limited shelf life, I’d train like a mofo and work on all my weaknesses from day one! He knew his conditioning and skating was subpar when he played his first NHL game. Why wouldn’t he have tried to improve it from that pint forward?

Big body center, he could have been a useful NHLer. Now, who knows... I can see why the brass is disappointed with him.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I remember Andy Murray talking to media a lot at the time he was drafted when he had to make the decision of OHL vs NCAA. Andy was saying he felt McCarron was the type of player who would benefit more from playing less games and doing a lot of off-ice training to get his skills up to par (skating being one of them). At the time it didn't make sense to me and I thought he should go to the OHL but looking back that might have been the right avenue for him. We'll never know though I guess.

EDIT: Found one of the articles here

Reactions: cphabs

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His progression also reminds me a bit of another Habs 1st rounder Jason Ward. Ward had a couple of decent seasons after taking a long time in the AHL.

Ward was a terrible skater though, one of the worst I can remember. Plus with McCarron you have a player that's 6'6, Ward was tall but not that tall. I think it's a little different when you are that tall, as in how many NHL forwards are over 6'5 in the past 5, 10 years? I think it's hard to compare a 6'6 forward with others that are several inches shorter. If we were talking about a player being 6'3 and the other being 6'1, it's more normal since there are lots of 6'3 and 6'1 players but 6'6 forwards are so rare.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think it's a little different when you are that tall, as in how many NHL forwards are over 6'5 in the past 5, 10 years?

It's actually not that simple.

The fraction of men who are 6'6 or taller is between 1 in 400 and 1 in 800:
https://www2.census.gov/library/publications/2010/compendia/statab/130ed/tables/11s0205.pdf

http://hawaii.hawaii.edu/math/Courses/Math100/Chapter4/Notes/NormalHist.pdf

So if height has no effect at all, you'd expect that there would be 1 or 2 NHL regulars at any given time who are 6'6 or taller. You can double the expected number if you just remove the one half of the population which is short.

If there are more than that, then height is actually an advantage.

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
NHLers that are 6’6 or higher include Hedman, Chara, Bishop, Bjugstad, Harpur, Myers, Hanzal, Greenway, Dubnyk, Parayko, Boyle, Hamilton, Darling, Markstrom, Koskinen.

Three others I didn’t include are Stolarz, Sustr, and Adin Hill.

So 18 players total.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
NHLers that are 6’6 or higher include Hedman, Chara, Bishop, Bjugstad, Harpur, Myers, Hanzal, Greenway, Dubnyk, Parayko, Boyle, Hamilton, Darling, Markstrom, Koskinen.

Three others I didn’t include are Stolarz, Sustr, and Adin Hill.

So 18 players total.

I was talking about just forwards

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
thanks, that's what I would expect, as there just haven't been many 6'6 forwards and so it makes it harder to compare them with guys say 6'2 or 6'3, etc.. at least imo.

No, if there are 4 forwards who are 6'6 or taller, then that means that they're more common than expected. On average, they're more likely to make it.

6'6 people are rare in the general population, and less rare in the NHL.

Hansman

Mar 18, 2013
Wild West

#3 and # 3 are bang on

q3iCWqE.gif

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
He’s improving which is all we can ask. Also, I don’t remember him bitching about having to train hard and taking lumps. He’s a good kid.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
No, if there are 4 forwards who are 6'6 or taller, then that means that they're more common than expected. On average, they're more likely to make it.

Im 6'6". I hate when people ask me if i play basketball. Im a hockey player through and through.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site

q3iCWqE.gif

Why argue about a guy who’s not going to make the nhl? He’s a failed project. Even if they did call him up, he’d play limited time on the third or fourth line. Most likely he wouldn’t be top nine.

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Im 6'6". I hate when people ask me if i play basketball. Im a hockey player through and through.[/

stick him in net so we can finally have one of those giant goalies that everyone else seems to have.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Ward was a terrible skater though, one of the worst I can remember. Plus with McCarron you have a player that's 6'6, Ward was tall but not that tall. I think it's a little different when you are that tall, as in how many NHL forwards are over 6'5 in the past 5, 10 years? I think it's hard to compare a 6'6 forward with others that are several inches shorter. If we were talking about a player being 6'3 and the other being 6'1, it's more normal since there are lots of 6'3 and 6'1 players but 6'6 forwards are so rare.
Ward was huge too, 6’ 5, I think. He had monster seasons in the AHL with Gratton, but he never clicked eith anyone else in the AHL and never did anything in the NHL. Gratton was small, Ward was slow.

Not a bad pick, needed a skating coach.

Some picks you hope for improvement. Mac Bennet’s whole family was huge, so he could have grown late.

McCarron and Tinordi needed more skating and hockey skills, less fighting. Lefebvre really had a thing about getting them to goon it up. Tinordi was never the same after getting koed hy some guy who will never get called up. McCarron hasn’t been doing his hands any good. Work on the skills, fighting is on the way out.

Edit wikipedia says Ward was 6’2.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ward was huge too, 6’ 5, I think. He had monster seasons in the AHL with Gratton, but he never clicked eith anyone else in the AHL and never did anything in the NHL. Gratton was small, Ward was slow.

Not a bad pick, needed a skating coach.

Some picks you hope for improvement. Mac Bennet’s whole family was huge, so he could have grown late.

McCarron and Tinordi needed more skating and hockey skills, less fighting. Lefebvre really had a thing about getting them to goon it up. Tinordi was never the same after getting koed hy some guy who will never get called up. McCarron hasn’t been doing his hands any good. Work on the skills, fighting is on the way out.

Edit wikipedia says Ward was 6’2.

McCarron is a transformed player. He's not about dropping gloves anymore even though he still does it to defend a teammate.

But Bouchard has been the best thing to happen to McCarron. He's been Laval's best player in terms of production and other aspects to the game. He's really taken a step in the right direction.

McCarron also focused on the right things in the off-season: his skating and redistributing his weight to the right parts of his body in order to help him be more effective.

Another thing he's improved on (and this could be related to redistributing his weight), but his endurance is better, too. He used to be out of gas even in the AHL. Right now, he plays with a lot more energy and is able to sustain it all game. And he even plays with energy on a back-to-back. On top of that, many times in the AHL, you play at night and then the next afternoon. So you play two games in less than 24 hours.

All this to basically say that McCarron is doing very well this season, particularly the last month or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad