Prospect Info: Michael McCarron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
So ... by assuming everything you just wrote , you wanted to show me not to assume anything. The couple of sentences in my original post are pretty clear, I'm sorry if they hurt you. Thanks for the laugh :)

I'm going to go with colonel mustard, in the kitchen, with the lead pipe.

I think that your statement about taking things for granted was even corroborated by McCarron himself in an interview early this year or late last year. Something about thinking he was a lock to play in MON, especially since he was waiver eligible.

Jul 6, 2016
I think that your statement about taking things for granted was even corroborated by McCarron himself in an interview early this year or late last year. Something about thinking he was a lock to play in MON, especially since he was waiver eligible.

Scherbak, DLR and McCarron were too confident to stay in MTL and had crappy training camps.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe it’s just me but in a highly competitive world where you know skating it at a premium and you know you have a limited shelf life, I’d train like a mofo and work on all my weaknesses from day one! He knew his conditioning and skating was subpar when he played his first NHL game. Why wouldn’t he have tried to improve it from that pint forward?

Big body center, he could have been a useful NHLer. Now, who knows... I can see why the brass is disappointed with him.

A very easy thing to say that is very unlikely to be true. If you were willing to train like a mofo and give 110% every day you would be in the NHL and be compared to Gallagher.

For whatever reason people seem to think having a motor like Gallagher's is normal and anyone who doesn't is just lazy/disintristed/etc... It's as absurd as thinking McCarron hasn't tried to improve his skating at any point in the last 5+ years.

Jul 6, 2016
A very easy thing to say that is very unlikely to be true. If you were willing to train like a mofo and give 110% every day you would be in the NHL and be compared to Gallagher.

For whatever reason people seem to think having a motor like Gallagher's is normal and anyone who doesn't is just lazy/disintristed/etc... It's as absurd as thinking McCarron hasn't tried to improve his skating at any point in the last 5+ years.

Very few big 6'5-6'6 hockey players have "wheels".

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

That’s just not right at all. I do a ton of training all the time for my job as part of usual due diligence to stay current. Fact is most NHL players do a lot on the off-season to improve themselves and train. He said that the first time he hired an off season skating coach was THIS past off season for a couple of weeks. Not saying he didn’t train, I’m saying he didn’t do the right kind of training for too damn long.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Nice to see McCarron do better this year under Bouchard. However, I'm not 100% sure he gets one of our 50 contracts next year. He might get a AHL contract though. I think he needs to do even more than what he is doing so far this year... if he gets another two way NHL/AHL contract next year.

32 contracts in place already for next year. Add Lehkonen, Agostino, Hudon, Kulak, Reilly, Armia, Brook, Suzuki, Poehling. That take it to 41 and most teams prefer to stay around 45 ish to have flexibility. Does McCarron take up one of those spots? Not sure

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
That’s just not right at all. I do a ton of training all the time for my job as part of usual due diligence to stay current. Fact is most NHL players do a lot on the off-season to improve themselves and train. He said that the first time he hired an off season skating coach was THIS past off season for a couple of weeks. Not saying he didn’t train, I’m saying he didn’t do the right kind of training for too damn long.

Anyone who doesn't have a physical limiting medical condition could've become an NHL player if they were willing to put in the work.

The idea that you can say "oh if I was him I would put in the work" is hypocritical, you could've put in the work, you could've gotten up in the middle of the night to go skating for a few hours before school like PK Subban did, you could've put the 10s of thousands of hours stickhandling that Kovalev did in his youth. So if you actually wanted it and were willing to put in the work there's no reason you couldn't have become an NHL player.

Also nowhere does it say in the Engels tweet that this is the first time he hired a skating coach. In fact it isn't, here's an article from 2016 where it's mentioned he worked with a skating coach in the summer

A Q&A with the Canadiens’ Mike McCarron
While he is listed at 6-foot-6 and 237 pounds on the Canadiens’ official rookie camp roster, McCarron weighed in at a lean 226 pounds when the camp opened Thursday morning.
It’s the result of a change in his diet and a summer working with a skating coach, strength-and-conditioning coach and a dietician.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Anyone who doesn't have a physical limiting medical condition could've become an NHL player if they were willing to put in the work.

The idea that you can say "oh if I was him I would put in the work" is hypocritical, you could've put in the work, you could've gotten up in the middle of the night to go skating for a few hours before school like PK Subban did, you could've put the 10s of thousands of hours stickhandling that Kovalev did in his youth. So if you actually wanted it and were willing to put in the work there's no reason you couldn't have become an NHL player.

Also nowhere does it say in the Engels tweet that this is the first time he hired a skating coach. In fact it isn't, here's an article from 2016 where it's mentioned he worked with a skating coach in the summer

First off your premise that anyone can play in the NHL is wrong. There's a limited number of spots for NHL players. As such, only the best and the brightest have any chance of making it to the NHL. If there are literally thousands of elite hockey talent playing around the world, only about 30 get a chance to even get a sniff at staying there. Those who do, can only stay IF they work there asses off and ward off the rest of the pack trying to take their spot.

Second, you're working off a singular tweet when I'm talking this article:

Michael McCarron’s off-season skating improvements could earn him an NHL spot down the road

For a guy who knew his issue was skating, he sure waited a long time to address the issue.

HespelerGreenFlash

Dec 20, 2007

This is a joke right?

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
McCarron is a transformed player. He's not about dropping gloves anymore even though he still does it to defend a teammate.

But Bouchard has been the best thing to happen to McCarron. He's been Laval's best player in terms of production and other aspects to the game. He's really taken a step in the right direction.

McCarron also focused on the right things in the off-season: his skating and redistributing his weight to the right parts of his body in order to help him be more effective.

Another thing he's improved on (and this could be related to redistributing his weight), but his endurance is better, too. He used to be out of gas even in the AHL. Right now, he plays with a lot more energy and is able to sustain it all game. And he even plays with energy on a back-to-back. On top of that, many times in the AHL, you play at night and then the next afternoon. So you play two games in less than 24 hours.

All this to basically say that McCarron is doing very well this season, particularly the last month or so.

Yes, it is indeed encouraging to watch him play this year, no doubt Bouchard has been an impact on that.

People should watch a game or two of Laval to see how they're playing. The team isn't great but they bust their ass out there. It's also encouraging to see prospects such as Evans, Vejdemo and Fleury are all doing well so far.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018

It's about as absurd as someone thinking that anyone can become a Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux or Mcdavid just by training hard.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I'd like for the Habs to give McCarron at least one more legit shot as the 4th line center before they part ways with him permanently. He seems to have improved this season so I don't see why the Habs wouldn't give him one more shot with the big club and if he doesn't work out no big deal. If it does then good for McCarron and the Habs.

Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
First off your premise that anyone can play in the NHL is wrong. There's a limited number of spots for NHL players. As such, only the best and the brightest have any chance of making it to the NHL. If there are literally thousands of elite hockey talent playing around the world, only about 30 get a chance to even get a sniff at staying there. Those who do, can only stay IF they work there asses off and ward off the rest of the pack trying to take their spot.

Michael McCarron’s off-season skating improvements could earn him an NHL spot down the road

For a guy who knew his issue was skating, he sure waited a long time to address the issue.

Nowhere is it written that this summer was the first time that McCarron worked on his skating.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

When Subban didn't want to practice his dad told him some kid in Russia is also tired and doesn't want to practice but is pushing through it and doing it anyways. That's the difference between those that make it and those that don't, the guys that make it push through. You can work your ass off, but all it takes is that one other guy to work his ass even more.

Which is why it's stupid saying if you were in his shoes you would have that work ethic to push yourself beyond the pack of elite players trying to take their spot.

And again, nowhere in that article did it state he didn't try to work on his skating before last summer. I even posted a link showing you that he did work with skating coaches years before, so he didn't wait a long time to address his skating issues. He's been trying (And mostly failing) at addressing them for a long time.

This is a joke right?

It's about as absurd as someone thinking that anyone can become a Crosby, Gretzky, Lemieux or Mcdavid just by training hard.

I never said anyone can be as good as them, but yes anyone could be an NHL player. Plenty of players have made it through hard work, look at a guy like Steve Begin. If you are willing to outwork everyone else then you'll find a spot in the NHL. What's a joke is the idea that you, me or anyone else posting here would be willing to actually put that work in.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Reactions: DAChampion

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I'd like for the Habs to give McCarron at least one more legit shot as the 4th line center before they part ways with him permanently. He seems to have improved this season so I don't see why the Habs wouldn't give him one more shot with the big club and if he doesn't work out no big deal. If it does then good for McCarron and the Habs.

I hope we don't call him up this season. I think he would be better served spending the whole year in the AHL and continuing to develop there. His strong year so far should have earned him a QO so hopefully his legit shot will come next year.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
When Subban didn't want to practice his dad told him some kid in Russia is also tired and doesn't want to practice but is pushing through it and doing it anyways. That's the difference between those that make it and those that don't, the guys that make it push through. You can work your ass off, but all it takes is that one other guy to work his ass even more.

Which is why it's stupid saying if you were in his shoes you would have that work ethic to push yourself beyond the pack of elite players trying to take their spot.

And again, nowhere in that article did it state he didn't try to work on his skating before last summer. I even posted a link showing you that he did work with skating coaches years before, so he didn't wait a long time to address his skating issues. He's been trying (And mostly failing) at addressing them for a long time.

I never said anyone can be as good as them, but yes anyone could be an NHL player. Plenty of players have made it through hard work, look at a guy like Steve Begin. If you are willing to outwork everyone else then you'll find a spot in the NHL. What's a joke is the idea that you, me or anyone else posting here would be willing to actually put that work in.

I still don't understand how you can correlate that. As much as I love hockey, I could never have made it to the NHL even if I was the hardest working guy around, it's just not that simple.

Edit : What's a QO..?

Reactions: larrypacman8167

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I still don't understand how you can correlate that. As much as I love hockey, I could never have made it to the NHL even if I was the hardest working guy around, it's just not that simple.

It worked for Rudy though.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

You loved hockey, so did I. But Subban spent 3-4 hours every day skating at an outdoor rink in the middle of the night. Is it any wonder why he was such a great skater and much better then you or I could dream of?

Read the stories of Tavares as a kid, and it's the same thing, he was out there everyday stickhandling, shooting for hours on end as a kid.

That's why they become stars, they worked at it endlessly (Because it's not so much work as it is play/fun).

QO stands for Qualifying Offer. So I was saying McCarron (Assuming his play doesn't fall off a cliff) has earned a contract for next year.

Habsddicted

Derp derp
Jan 18, 2018
You loved hockey, so did I. But Subban spent 3-4 hours every day skating at an outdoor rink in the middle of the night. Is it any wonder why he was such a great skater and much better then you or I could dream of?

Read the stories of Tavares as a kid, and it's the same thing, he was out there everyday stickhandling, shooting for hours on end as a kid.

That's why they become stars, they worked at it endlessly (Because it's not so much work as it is play/fun).

QO stands for Qualifying Offer. So I was saying McCarron (Assuming his play doesn't fall off a cliff) has earned a contract for next year.

I've played hockey a hell of a lot, there are some things that just can't be taught. For example, I am much better at Dek hockey then ice hockey because it removes the implication of skating. Different people have different multi-tasking abilities, which is why the top players stand out even more in the first place. Not everyone has the mental capacity to multi-task either. It has nothing to do with how much time he spent on an ice rink in his childhood. That's just an average Canadian childhood.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I've played hockey a hell of a lot, there are some things that just can't be taught. For example, I am much better at Dek hockey then ice hockey because it removes the implication of skating. Different people have different multi-tasking abilities, which is why the top players stand out even more in the first place. Not everyone has the mental capacity to multi-task either. It has nothing to do with how much time he spent on an ice rink in his childhood. That's just an average Canadian childhood.

You really think the average Canadian was woken up by their father in the middle of the night to go out and practice skating for 3-4 hours every day?

You can learn pretty much anything and that includes hockey iq, but we don't know a good way to teach it so it's mostly left up to the person. And sure some people have an easier time learning those things then others. But there are plenty of players out there who aren't great skaters, don't have high end skills or hockey IQ that still make the NHL. They make it being a hard worker, finishing their checks, blocking shots, etc... Being an energy player doesn't require some amazing skill, it really only requires a huge amount of dedication.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Nice to see McCarron do better this year under Bouchard. However, I'm not 100% sure he gets one of our 50 contracts next year. He might get a AHL contract though. I think he needs to do even more than what he is doing so far this year... if he gets another two way NHL/AHL contract next year.

32 contracts in place already for next year. Add Lehkonen, Agostino, Hudon, Kulak, Reilly, Armia, Brook, Suzuki, Poehling. That take it to 41 and most teams prefer to stay around 45 ish to have flexibility. Does McCarron take up one of those spots? Not sure

As long as he continues to play well I would think he'll be re-signed. They can trade some players to make some room if need be.

Nowhere is it written that this summer was the first time that McCarron worked on his skating.

The improvement he's made in his skating from last year is certainly noticeable so I hope more players hire her in the off-season.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

Are we discussing hockey or biology?

Paging @Ozymandias .

As for the observation that you're making, which came first, the chicken or the egg? Part of the reason that said players practised more as kids was that their talent level enabled them to enjoy it more.

They weren't just "working hard", they were having fun. And their natural talent level was a prequisite for that.

The fact that Subban was such a great player probably contributed to his motivation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad