Confirmed with Link: Michael McCarron Extended (1-Year, 2-Way @ $700K AAV / $125K AHL)

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Not every player is drafted by the right team. Mccarron would have been better off in san jose. All the best mike. Im rooting for ya to atleast show what your truly capable of.. A 40 point play making power forward. Good luck!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Dunno why, but I really hope he makes it this year.

He won’t get another chance with the Habs. It’s do or die or he plays elsewhere after next season, maybe on some team’s AHL affiliate.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
When McCarron was first drafted by the Habs over 6 years ago now, my boss ran into my office and proclaimed with excitement: "This is the guy that's going to pound Milan Lucic in the playoffs year after year."

Ridiculous statement, I know, but he's a very casual fan of the game and it was during those years of us having a heated rivalry with the Bruins. And I surely took full advantage of it, mostly because I was outraged at the pick myself and thought it was a waste.

So we made a bet. Every year until McCarron "pounds Milan Lucic into submission" I get a free dinner at any restaurant of my choice. Once the "pounding" happens I will be the one picking up the tab from that point going forward. In both cases the bet ends once McCarron officially retires.

So far I've collected 5 times raking up about $1,200 in total tab and this thread got me thinking - hey, it's time for a free dinner!

Last edited:

Max2

Nov 17, 2013
McCarron can't skate.Habs were blinded by his size after years of being called smurfs.He'll lumber around the AHL for a few years and end up in Sweden somewhere for a few seasons before becoming an accountant or bus driver.It was a wasted first and time to move on.

Reactions: Vachon23

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
McCarron can't skate.Habs were blinded by his size after years of being called smurfs.He'll lumber around the AHL for a few years and end up in Sweden somewhere for a few seasons before becoming an accountant or bus driver.It was a wasted first and time to move on.

Have you watched him in the AHL last season?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Yeah, chances are slim. I guess he’d clear waivers.

He'd likely clear at the start of the season. He'd be competing against all of the fringe players in the NHL who are waived when all other GMs have planned for other players to occupy these spots. It's the right time to sneak an undervalued asset under the board.

Despite myself I always feel like McCarron could get to another level. Probably because of all the other power forwards in the past... late bloomers like Neely, Bertuzzi, Leclair, etc. I've kind of always imagined their trajectory might have looked like the one McCarron is on.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Have you watched him in the AHL last season?
They gave him a two way 700k deal and I think that was solely for the purpose of having him being content in Laval. We might have some young picks there so he might be retained for the purpose of his veteran leadership. Unless he can skate with some more power especially from stop to start, he has no chance of an NHL career. It's a shame that his skating has held him back so badly because he could have been a force, Montreal's version of Tom Wilson would have been awesome.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
They gave him a two way 700k deal and I think that was solely for the purpose of having him being content in Laval. We might have some young picks there so he might be retained for the purpose of his veteran leadership. Unless he can skate with some more power especially from stop to start, he has no chance of an NHL career. It's a shame that his skating has held him back so badly because he could have been a force, Montreal's version of Tom Wilson would have been awesome.

Could maybe be sold off to a Western team later in the season assuming he clears waivers obviously, given his meaty carcass and how several western teams still value that type of player.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I take it you didn't watch a single Rocket game last season.

Reactions: juggernaut

Jul 6, 2016
McCarron has a fair chance to be Habs #13 forward when the season will start. He has to be better than Peca, Hudon and Weise. But, obviously, he has a two-way contract , not the three others.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
McCarron always had trouble standing on his feet. Always. Pre-Draft and Post-Draft. So outside of the obvious bad development, it was a bad pick too 'cause we were going for needs. Clealry not BPA. Which ended up a disaster as suspected it would. But why not work in becoming stronger on his lower body? How can somebody be serious about his career and not acknowledge one of his biggest problems and not work on it?

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

His skating problems are overblown, to be honest. He's a big guy, it just doesn't look efficient. He gets around pretty good . I think his confidence was shot under Therrien. He would have a decent game in Montreal, get sent down the next, for unknown reasons, but we know it was mostly because he wasn't part of the 'Therrien boys club'. Other guys would have awful games, get promoted to the first line PP unit etc... but Mike was always on this short leash. Blame Bergy and Therrien for his development, and Lefevre.

When we think about how many players have transitioned from Laval under Therrien/Bergevin... this kid never had a chance.

Reactions: dralaf and montreal

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
If he makes it, he'll have to be the best 13th forward.

Who does he need to beat out, assuming the Habs go into the season with the current roster:

We're set at center with Domi, KK, Danault, Weal, Thomson (the latter two will likely alternate at C on the 4th line)

On the wings: Lekhonen, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Byron, Cousins.

That's likely the 12 players who make the team.

Fighting for the 13th forward spot: Poehling, Suzuki, Peca, Hudon.

Anyone believe McCarron will beat out any of these guys?

I'm going to guess Suzuki, Peca and Hudon don't make the team. If that's the case, does McCarron beat out Poehling?
At least one winger will go in a trade for a ld. If not I’ll be pissed off. I would do gally and drouin in one second for a good young left d. The number of 2nd and 3rd line wings on habs is absurd right now.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
His skating problems are overblown, to be honest. He's a big guy, it just doesn't look efficient. He gets around pretty good . I think his confidence was shot under Therrien. He would have a decent game in Montreal, get sent down the next, for unknown reasons, but we know it was mostly because he wasn't part of the 'Therrien boys club'. Other guys would have awful games, get promoted to the first line PP unit etc... but Mike was always on this short leash. Blame Bergy and Therrien for his development, and Lefevre.

When we think about how many players have transitioned from Laval under Therrien/Bergevin... this kid never had a chance.

His skating problems are definitely not overblown. I haven't watched him in Laval so I can't comment on how he looked in the AHL, but the guy was ALWAYS behind the play in the NHL.

He was never fast enough to get to or follow another player. It was and it still is his main concern and the reason why he might not make the NHL ever.

He has rocks in his skates.

Jul 6, 2016

The problem is not Therrien. It is the fact that he was brought up at NHL level too early + he had that injury nagging him for the last few seasons . That, I don't understand at all.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
2 Shea wouldn't be ok...
Seriously, he was drafted RIGHT AFTER McCarron!
Habs were looking for size to add to their roster as it was the "need" at the time...
It was such a nonsense pick. Said it at the time and McCarron never had the speed to make the cut in the modern day NHL.

Summer 2013 was horrible just cos of the manner of the loss to the Sens. Drafting, McCarron, signing Parros and Murray. Ugh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad