Confirmed with Link: Michael McCarron Extended (1-Year, 2-Way @ $700K AAV / $125K AHL)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His skating problems are definitely not overblown. I haven't watched him in Laval so I can't comment on how he looked in the AHL, but the guy was ALWAYS behind the play in the NHL.

He was never fast enough to get to or follow another player. It was and it still is his main concern and the reason why he might not make the NHL ever.

He has rocks in his skates.

he hired a power skating coach last summer and you could see the difference. It's really too bad he re-injured the shoulder as he would very likely have gotten in some games last year and I would have liked to see how he would have done since he was playing some of his best hockey to date as a pro.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I always hold out hope he'll progress into an NHL player but seems pretty unlikely. Would be great to have someone his size being an impact player.

Reactions: Andrei79

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I always hold out hope he'll progress into an NHL player but seems pretty unlikely. Would be great to have someone his size being an impact player.

He was a drafting mistake. He falls into those percentages of players who don’t live up to the expectations put on them by an org. or relative to where they were selected.

Anything McCarron provides at this point, is a bonus.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
he hired a power skating coach last summer and you could see the difference. It's really too bad he re-injured the shoulder as he would very likely have gotten in some games last year and I would have liked to see how he would have done since he was playing some of his best hockey to date as a pro.

He could make a great RW for Suzuki's line, possibly with Drouin as the LW.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
The problem is not Therrien. It is the fact that he was brought up at NHL level too early + he had that injury nagging him for the last few seasons . That, I don't understand at all.

Yup, this more than anything.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
His skating problems are definitely not overblown. I haven't watched him in Laval so I can't comment on how he looked in the AHL, but the guy was ALWAYS behind the play in the NHL.

He was never fast enough to get to or follow another player. It was and it still is his main concern and the reason why he might not make the NHL ever.

He has rocks in his skates.

I guess we disagree. His skating wasn't an issue for his junior coaches, nor the NTDP’s U18 team. Sometimes things just don't look natural when you are that tall, but he gets around the ice ok. I'm not sure you'll even find a single scouting report that says he skating is weak, a lot of scouts were shocked at how well he moved for a big man. They never said he was a 'terrific skater' but they never said it was bad, or 'slow'.

Reactions: montreal

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I guess we disagree. His skating wasn't an issue for his junior coaches, nor the NTDP’s U18 team. Sometimes things just don't look natural when you are that tall, but he gets around the ice ok. I'm not sure you'll even find a single scouting report that says he skating is weak, a lot of scouts were shocked at how well he moved for a big man. They never said he was a 'terrific skater' but they never said it was bad, or 'slow'.

There’s a vast difference between juniors and the NHL. Sometimes you don’t see the handicap until the player actually gets there.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
There’s a vast difference between juniors and the NHL. Sometimes you don’t see the handicap until the player actually gets there.

25 years ago, this had some truth to it... but the last 15 that is untrue, those kids are under a microscope, as is every single bit of their game. They are scrutinized beyond belief in the US program, you don't just 'suck' at skating once you hit Montreal. I'm not saying he's a 'wonderful' skater, but that isn't what is holding him back from the NHL.

Every player on a CHL team is filmed nightly, every shift... has been that way for some time.
If you suck at skating, it was well documented by dozens of scouts, and nobody said these things about the big guy.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
McCarron has finally had the surgery he needed after injuring his shoulder three years ago in NHL Pre-season against Boston, at the time he looked like the PWF the Habs lacked. Now he's had plenty of development experience, shoulder repaired, the Habs have numerous playmaking wingers & centers that can benefit from the space he will create for them. Not to mention stopping any rough stuff directed at our smaller star players, he has my vote just what the Doctor ordered IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So... McCarron will be making 150K or so in the AHL playing alongside Karl Alzner who will be making 4.5M in the... AHL. Lolz. Talk about inequality.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
McCarron has finally had the surgery he needed after injuring his shoulder three years ago in NHL Pre-season against Boston, at the time he looked like the PWF the Habs lacked. Now he's had plenty of development experience, shoulder repaired, the Habs have numerous playmaking wingers & centers that can benefit from the space he will create for them. Not to mention stopping any rough stuff directed at our smaller star players, he has my vote just what the Doctor ordered IMHO!!!...:vhappy::vhappy::vhappy:
His shoulder has nothing to do with his skating, his biggest flaw.

Reactions: a55p2

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
I think they miscast him. Once he played C in Junior, they thought he could be their "big center".

He should have been groomed for a 2nd-3rd line RW role. He is not creative enough for a center.

Disagree about his creativity. Its his hype factor. He needs to calm down. Refine his patient game.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013

His skating.. Is not.. Hes a good 6'6" skater.. Its the fact he reallllly wants to succeed ans trys to hard.. He needs to dial it down a notch ans hopefully bouchard can help him.. He can still get to 15 g and 20 as in the nhl but its unlikely.

Reactions: dralaf

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Everyone has to be strong defensively now. It's why De La Rose got more opportunities. He needs to earn the coaches trust, that he won't be a liability.

Reactions: angusyoung

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
He's always been professional and seemingly humble about his development. I think he's not blessed with natural talent but has a better chance than others who end up in his situation, especially if his skating is actually improved. His interview on 690 had him admit he was too eager to fight and be that roleplayer instead of playing the game. Said Bouchard made him love playing hockey again. It makes me think he might use his size and reach to better effect and perhaps enough to offset a lack of speed.

Also he talked about having bad camps which set him back so he wants to be full throttle this coming training camp. Also he says his shoulder is 100%

Not holding out hope, but I'm not hopeless when it comes to McCarron finding an NHL role somewhere

viceroy

Mar 5, 2011
Montreal suburbs
I think they miscast him. Once he played C in Junior, they thought he could be their "big center".

He should have been groomed for a 2nd-3rd line RW role. He is not creative enough for a center.

The Hunters IIRC switched him to Centre to get him more involved in the play and make him keep moving his feet. I think it was a good idea and made his overall game better. No reason we couldn't just put him in as Wing in the NHL.

McCarron has finally had the surgery he needed after injuring his shoulder three years ago in NHL Pre-season against Boston

Yeah I wonder if that'll make him more comfortable and confident on the ice.

You know his skating flaws are often exaggerated I believe. His straight line is decent but his edgework's not great, but he's fricking 6'6" so kinda understandable. He'll never look fast because of his size, he just won't. Jean Beliveau always kept surprising people back in the day with his speed. You'd look at him and he'd seem slow but could always get to where he neede to be. He looked slow because he just needed way fewer strides than other players. Some used to refer to him as a Grande Vache, cows seem so slow and sedentary but then you move your head and it's all the way over there.

Sam of Montreal

May 5, 2007
McCaron's biggest physical flaw was a lack of conditioning.

I remember a common issue was that he would be gassed at the end of his shifts and unable to play a very involved game from start to finish.

Injuries and his size certainly have something to do with it, but at the end of the day, reasons and excuses won't change his spot on the depth chart. I cheer for him. I hope he can have a good year and earn himself a call up... Maybe become a regular if everything falls into place.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not holding out hope, but I'm not hopeless when it comes to McCarron finding an NHL role somewhere

I too wish him well but would that ever suck if he hit his stride with some other club while all these years we’ve been following his ups and downs hoping for a break.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
McCaron's biggest physical flaw was a lack of conditioning.

I remember a common issue was that he would be gassed at the end of his shifts and unable to play a very involved game from start to finish.

Injuries and his size certainly have something to do with it, but at the end of the day, reasons and excuses won't change his spot on the depth chart. I cheer for him. I hope he can have a good year and earn himself a call up... Maybe become a regular if everything falls into place.

His conditioning was definitely his biggest flaw. His skating, as well. The good news is that last year, he improved on both. The summer before, he worked a lot on his skating. And you saw the difference if you followed him in Laval.

As for is fitness, he was thinner last year. He still weighed the same as his previous seasons. But he worked on re-distributing his weight around with his workouts. So basically, he was the same size, just stronger in the right areas. Hopefully he continues working on both this off-season so he can be even better next year.

He may end up a career AHL'er. But it's good to see that he took the necessary steps to improve. And you never know, he may end up getting his shot at a more stable NHL career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad