Confirmed with Link: Michael McCarron Extended (1-Year, 2-Way @ $700K AAV / $125K AHL)

phillytennis

Mar 4, 2012
If he can manage to improve his speed/stamina he can at least become a serviceable 4th liner. We need more size in the lineup.

It's his speed which will determine if he stays with the big club....being a big guy....he lacks the initial quickness to be truly effective....if he improve his first stride quickness he could be a very good fourth liner for the Habs.
Management and fans are pulling for him...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
With Deslauriers gone, maybe he has a shot to make the team.

If he makes it, he'll have to be the best 13th forward.

Who does he need to beat out, assuming the Habs go into the season with the current roster:

We're set at center with Domi, KK, Danault, Weal, Thomson (the latter two will likely alternate at C on the 4th line)

On the wings: Lekhonen, Gallagher, Tatar, Drouin, Armia, Byron, Cousins.

That's likely the 12 players who make the team.

Fighting for the 13th forward spot: Poehling, Suzuki, Peca, Hudon.

Anyone believe McCarron will beat out any of these guys?

I'm going to guess Suzuki, Peca and Hudon don't make the team. If that's the case, does McCarron beat out Poehling?

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
If he goes on waivers again, he could be picked up this time, who knows? That forward group is small, would help if he could find a role.
Highly doubtful. This signing is a favor. I'm pretty sure many GMs would have let him walk, hence, not really waiver pickup material.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The Habs's QO for McCarron was a two-way deal calling for $917,831 as an NHL salary and approx. $70K in the AHL.

McCarron preferred a lower NHL salary in order to have a better AHL salary with the current deal. He now ends up with $700K at the NHL level but with a guaranteed minimum of $150K in the AHL.

A smart move given his limited chances of cracking the Habs lineup.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004

Who does he need to beat out, assuming the Habs go into the season with the current roster:

We're set at center with Domi, KK, Danault, Weal, Thomson (the latter two will likely alternate at C on the 4th line)

I'm going to guess Suzuki, Peca and Hudon don't make the team. If that's the case, does McCarron beat out Poehling?
If Poehling is ready, believe he makes the team and not as the 13th forward, he needs to play. For McCarron to make the team he needs to be show he can add something to the group and be reliable defensively. The odds look long but dépends on camp and how they see their bottom 6 and reserve(s).

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
The Habs's QO for McCarron was a two-way deal calling for $917,831 as an NHL salary and approx. $70K in the AHL.

McCarron preferred a lower NHL salary in order to have a better AHL salary with the current deal. He now ends up with $700K at the NHL level but with a guaranteed minimum of $150K in the AHL.

A smart move given his limited chances of cracking the Habs lineup.
It`s also more attractive for the waiver wire and a possible shot for him elsewhere.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Highly doubtful. This signing is a favor. I'm pretty sure many GMs would have let him walk, hence, not really waiver pickup material.
I thought they would let him go too, to be honest, but someone apparently still believes he has a shot.

Reactions: vokiel

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If Poehling is ready, believe he makes the team and not as the 13th forward, he needs to play. For McCarron to make the team he needs to be show he can add something to the group and be reliable defensively. The odds look long but dépends on camp and how they see their bottom 6 and reserve(s).

I didn't mean to say Poehling would be used as a 13th forward but meant it generically, as to which players have a shot to fill the remaining slot. Where they end up being used is a whole other matter, esp. for someone like Poehling who needs to play, I agree. If McCarron made it, we already know he'd likely be a 4th liner.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
If he goes on waivers again, he could be picked up this time, who knows? That forward group is small, would help if he could find a role.

I do wonder if teams will look at the blues and think they need to add size so a player like McCarron might interest them since they have nothing to lose but the 50K or so for the waiver fee plus his salary. Last year I would have said no way he gets picked but as a former 1st rounder, 6'6 forward that has improved his speed/skating, I wouldn't be shocked if he did get picked just as I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.

a favor? lol that's just silly.

I thought they would let him go too, to be honest, but someone apparently still believes he has a shot.

I said many times no way would they walk away from him, it would be stupid as you invested a 1st round pick and after struggling badly the past 2 years he finally starts playing some of his best hockey, looks much more confident and showed a decent amount of improvement in his skating and speed. Why walk away when he's finally trending in the right direction as it's not like we had much to lose another then a spot on the 50.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I didn't mean to say Poehling would be used as a 13th forward but meant it generically, as to which players have a shot to fill the remaining slot. Where they end up being used is a whole other matter, esp. for someone like Poehling who needs to play, I agree. If McCarron made it, we already know he'd likely be a 4th liner.
The other possibilty I could see if McCarron doesn`t make the team is a trade before the season starts, probably for a similiar player, something like the Valiev - Kulak deal last year. Always some young players surprising in camp, making others around the league expendable.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
I do wonder if teams will look at the blues and think they need to add size so a player like McCarron might interest them since they have nothing to lose but the 50K or so for the waiver fee plus his salary. Last year I would have said no way he gets picked but as a former 1st rounder, 6'6 forward that has improved his speed/skating, I wouldn't be shocked if he did get picked just as I wouldn't be shocked if he didn't.

a favor? lol that's just silly.

I said many times no way would they walk away from him, it would be stupid as you invested a 1st round pick and after struggling badly the past 2 years he finally starts playing some of his best hockey, looks much more confident and showed a decent amount of improvement in his skating and speed. Why walk away when he's finally trending in the right direction as it's not like we had much to lose another then a spot on the 50.
By putting him on waivers last year, they already were prepared to lose him for nothing (like Scherbak). To me, he got a contract because they still see something in him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
By putting him on waivers last year, they already were prepared to lose him for nothing (like Scherbak). To me, he got a contract because they still see something in him.

Like another poster mentioned, the progress he had made just before his injury did not go unnoticed.

Reactions: Andrei79

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I figure if he plays in more than a handful of games in Motnreal, the season is likely lost.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

correct, they still see something in him which is why they wouldn't just walk away from him since there's no real downside and if he improves just a bit more they might have a decent 4th liner or bubble player that brings size and a physical game.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
If this big kid can get through his thick skull that the Habs dont owe him anything ( if someone can, it's probably Bouchard )....he can have some sort of impact and make it to the show.
Biggest problem I think is his first few strides. If he just had a little more explosiveness on the jump, hé could use his big body along the boards and be effective in deep.
Once he is up to speed, he's not slow
Every NHL game he played so far, he looked kind of silly trying to land big hits but always being a fraction of a second late on his target.
It would not take all that much to be a retro style 4th liner that Coach Julien loves ( think Daniel Paillé of the Bruins a while back )

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

The chances are near zero for him to start with us. But during the season, if he has a really good season in the AHL, improves a lot, he'll get a chance. There will be injuries, players who disappoint and they will likely give him a try if he earns it. But to start the season, I don't see it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The chances are near zero for him to start with us. But during the season, if he has a really good season in the AHL, improves a lot, he'll get a chance. There will be injuries, players who disappoint and they will likely give him a try if he earns it. But to start the season, I don't see it.

Yeah, chances are slim. I guess he’d clear waivers.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
If this big kid can get through his thick skull that the Habs dont owe him anything ( if someone can, it's probably Bouchard )....he can have some sort of impact and make it to the show.
Biggest problem I think is his first few strides. If he just had a little more explosiveness on the jump, hé could use his big body along the boards and be effective in deep.
Once he is up to speed, he's not slow
Every NHL game he played so far, he looked kind of silly trying to land big hits but always being a fraction of a second late on his target.
It would not take all that much to be a retro style 4th liner that Coach Julien loves ( think Daniel Paillé of the Bruins a while back )

When has this kid ever indicated he thinks he's owed something by the Habs?
You said it in your post, problem is his skating, not his attitude.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If there was ever a player, on the edge of the cliff, it's big Mike...........let's hope he can get those skates moving!! He has such size, it would be great to see him make it, but this is his 6th year after being drafted in the 1st round...
I wish that MM could skate like Paul Byron, I had high hopes for this guy but his skating has been the problem. I was hoping to see him standing in front of opposing goalies and creating havoc.

Reactions: BLONG7

Grandpa

Jul 27, 2019
Give him time. It's only been six years. Maybe one day he turns into reliable AHL call-up.

Take off the kiddie wheels, he's been nuttin' but super massive mega turd since day 1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad