Recalled/Assigned: Michael Kostka

Status
Not open for further replies.

PromNite

Know Your Enemy
Apr 30, 2007
Tampa, FL
I know people are rooting for mcilrath but i just dont see the skill other than fighting. Just wasnt a good pick at 10 with fowler and taranseko there

I've never heard anyone say that before.

This is totally new information that you are providing.

Last edited:

petey

Oct 13, 2013
One good thing about defenseman they can play well into there 30s so even if mcilrath takes 2 more years he could still be a very good player for years . I don't see him enough only when the pack comes to Norfolk so it's kinda hard for me to judge the games I did see he didn't make any mistakes and played the role he supposed to

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Kostka and Hunwick can alternate games. I strongly believe Staal can support either one of them.

According to Gross, during this morning's practice Klein was playing with Staal and Hunwick was playing with Moore and as well as on the second power play unit.

I doubt Kostka gets in a game unless Hunwick can't cut it (quite possible). But I don't think they will alternate games--AV wants to have as set a lineup as possible. It's much more stable and allows chemistry to develop.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kostka and Hunwick can alternate games. I strongly believe Staal can support either one of them.

Neither is ideal but between Hunwick and Kostka right now--I'd take Hunwick even if he's on the wrong side. Just a better skater and to me just a better player.

As far as McIlrath is concerned--yes the Rangers could throw him into the deep end of the pool and see what happens and 'maybe' it would work out. If we were to do that I'd prefer he'd have a few AHL games under his belt. He's really only played two preseason games as far as I know and the last of those about two weeks ago.

For now I'd go with Hunwick.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
According to Gross, during this morning's practice Klein was playing with Staal and Hunwick was playing with Moore and as well as on the second power play unit.

I doubt Kostka gets in a game unless Hunwick can't cut it (quite possible). But I don't think they will alternate games--AV wants to have as set a lineup as possible. It's much more stable and allows chemistry to develop.

I do like Staal-Klein as a unit...

I think we'll be OK... but the offense from the D takes a hit for sure

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
Staal will definitely have his work cut out for him. Going to have to step up and truly anchor his defensive pairing.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I kinda cringe at the thought of J. Moore and Hunwick in our defensive zone, especially in front of the net or physicality along the boards. No problems with them aside from there, but if the puck is in deep in our zone for a few cycles, I think the opposing team is going to generate a lot more chances than average.

I'm not really a fan of Kostka, I don't think he fits our system. He's way too slow and not a good transitional skater, which seems to favor AV's system he has implemented. I understand the whole 3L 3R concept, but inevitably it comes down to the better player overall. These guys are professionals, they should be able to adapt fairly quickly playing on their off side.

In AV We Trust

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
you know what makes me ****ing angry?

This: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2019

an experience, solid defenseman, THAT USED TO PLAY FOR US, signed with Calgary for $700,000.... Nearly Kostka's caphit...

And that player... is Raphael Diaz...

what...the...****... was management thinking when they DIDN'T sign him as a spare Dman? Gunna have to trade another 5th rounder to get him here, lol...

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
you know what makes me ****ing angry?

This: http://www.capgeek.com/player/2019

an experience, solid defenseman, THAT USED TO PLAY FOR US, signed with Calgary for $700,000.... Nearly Kostka's caphit...

And that player... is Raphael Diaz...

what...the...****... was management thinking when they DIDN'T sign him as a spare Dman? Gunna have to trade another 5th rounder to get him here, lol...

Maybe the feeling was mutal--perhaps Diaz didn't want to sign here either.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Maybe the feeling was mutal--perhaps Diaz didn't want to sign here either.

It's possible, but it took him nearly 2 months to get a contract, and it was for $400k less than he was making for the prior season. No reason why NYR wouldn't have matched what he was making at the least..

I guess one can hope. I would think that they probably reached out to Diaz before signing Hunwick after Diaz's stock plummeted, which would have still net Diaz some quicker job security and more $...

but we will see...

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
exactly. Being a top 10 pick over 4 years ago and not being close to ready for even bottom pair minutes is a bit scary especially with fowler doing well

We had Del Zotto at that point, who projected to be our PP QB for a long time.... Things didn't work out.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
It's possible, but it took him nearly 2 months to get a contract, and it was for $400k less than he was making for the prior season. No reason why NYR wouldn't have matched what he was making at the least..

I guess one can hope. I would think that they probably reached out to Diaz before signing Hunwick after Diaz's stock plummeted, which would have still net Diaz some quicker job security and more $...

but we will see...

Honestly, I don't think the organization had any interest in him. The organization got him for playoff depth only. And judging by the way AV used him, I really don't think he fit into AV's plans going forward.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Honestly, I don't think the organization had any interest in him. The organization got him for playoff depth only. And judging by the way AV used him, I really don't think he fit into AV's plans going forward.

I see no reason why he couldn't be a 7th dman unless it is due to the reason you mentioned...

a 7th dman is there for depth, and solely depth...

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
For those who don't know, Kostka was picked up late last season by TB, off waivers from Chicago. He played really well down the stretch for the Ning, i was impressed, said it in the around the nhl thread 'Man, how come we can't just find a righty that can play the point ?'

Then we ended up signing him, a few teams were interested after that nice run. That said, he looked pretty bad during preseason.

As for the other young Dmen in our system, rather keep them in the 'A' and let them find some game before being thrown into the fire.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
dumbfounded-gif.gif

McIlrath has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level, and is by no means a bonafide generational talent--yet you place a higher value on him than an immensely talented 22 yr old winger who has already played 103 games in the NHL, and scored at a 50+ point pace last season. Because you think he embellished last night.

I don't even consider McIlrath a bust or a bad hockey player, not by any stretch of the imagination. But the morbid obsession some posters here have with fighting and toffness is beyond ****ing bizarre.

I can't ****ing stop laughing at that gif holy ****

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Agree with your assessment of Wrath. He was the 3rd man back, hustling from the opposing blue line, and still managed to crush the man waiting at the back door.

Guess who happens to be responsible otherwise for that goal?

John moore. See that atrocious coverage in the slot? See that wide open man on Hanks glove side?

Man the more I watch, the more I hope Allen takes a huge step this season and replaces him by the deadline

This is perhaps the most ridiculous statement in this entire thread. And another example of the sugar coating thing. I'm not sure this statement can be made by someone who understands positional hockey.

First Dylan Mcilrath by pinching up at the blue line and getting caught in no mans land and removing himself from the play and hanging his d partner out to dry caused A THREE ON ONE RUSH. Watch it again.

That blunder left his defensive partner back defending a 3 on 1 And you seriously blame John Moore for that and his "atrocious coverage". Laughable comment there. Mcilrath created that and Moore was left to try to defend a 3 on 1 rush. and you blame John Moore. :shakehead

In addition, you highlight dylan getting back to "crush" his man. Too funny. Who freekin cares? Look at Dylan's reaction after the goal. Head up like he knew he royally f'd up. He knew it.

Why don't you know it ?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Let's hope that Kostka is one of those guys who needs more time to find his rhythm hence the bad camp and starts to play better. I liked the signing initially because I remember him standing out vs the rangers during a couple of a leaf games. Hunwick/Moore will serve nothing more than to encourage our enemy.

17futurecap

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Here you go on Diaz.

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 5m5 minutes ago

Rangers did have interest in bringing back Diaz but Diaz did not want to be 7th D. He is in Calgary top 6.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
This is perhaps the most ridiculous statement in this entire thread. And another example of the sugar coating thing. I'm not sure this statement can be made by someone who understands positional hockey.

First Dylan Mcilrath by pinching up at the blue line and getting caught in no mans land and removing himself from the play and hanging his d partner out to dry caused A THREE ON ONE RUSH. Watch it again.

That blunder left his defensive partner back defending a 3 on 1 And you seriously blame John Moore for that and his "atrocious coverage". Laughable comment there. Mcilrath created that and Moore was left to try to defend a 3 on 1 rush. and you blame John Moore. :shakehead

In addition, you highlight dylan getting back to "crush" his man. Too funny. Who freekin cares? Look at Dylan's reaction after the goal. Head up like he knew he royally f'd up. He knew it.

Why don't you know it ?

i said atrocious OTHERWISE...

I'mn not letting Mac off the hook for that. That was a terrible time to pinch, especially with the play already moving up the ice.

What I am blaming John Moore for was his mispositioning on the ice. Any decent defenseman cuts that pass off much better than Moore attempted to..

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
i said atrocious OTHERWISE...

I'mn not letting Mac off the hook for that. That was a terrible time to pinch, especially with the play already moving up the ice.

What I am blaming John Moore for was his mispositioning on the ice. Any decent defenseman cuts that pass off much better than Moore attempted to..

Don't bother. John Moore can't do anything wrong, and any mistake he makes is because "he's still learning". Yet, conveniently, McIlrath doesn't get the same excuse.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Don't bother. John Moore can't do anything wrong, and any mistake he makes is because "he's still learning". Yet, conveniently, McIlrath doesn't get the same excuse.

C'mon, that was a pretty atrocious example to try to use. I'm not saying he couldn't find other examples to make his point, but he rightly deserves to be called out for making that play about anything other than McIlrath. :laugh:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
C'mon, that was a pretty atrocious example to try to use. I'm not saying he couldn't find other examples to make his point, but he rightly deserves to be called out for making that play about anything other than McIlrath. :laugh:

Was less about that specific example, moreso that when I or someone else says "he's still developing" he's called a bust and Tarasenko, etc. Meanwhile, John Moore is barely an NHL defenseman and get's at least an excuse a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad