Recalled/Assigned: Michael Kostka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
From his skating at age 18 to today, even with the knee injuries - it's miles upon miles better than what we had when we drafted him.

Im sure I can go into McIlrath's draft thread and find plenty of people crowing about his speed and mobility for a big man back then.

SupersonicMonkey*

Because I dont pretend to know if minor leaguers are improving or not.

What I do know is, in his 5th training camp, he never seriously competed for a spot.

A rule of thumb for player development personell and scouts is a player typically takes at least 5 years from his draft date to reach/crack the NHL and start contributing. For goaltenders and defensemen maybe longer.

McIlrath, at age 22, is on a fine trajectory. Even if he didn't earn and hold down an NHL spot until next fall, he would still only be 23.

This is not a make or break season McIlrath. Though, he should have a good season anyway.

The league has been spoiled by young talent. But it isn't all that normal.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Im sure I can go into McIlrath's draft thread and find plenty of people crowing about his speed and mobility for a big man back then.

I've posted this a few times, but I'll point again to a play Dylan made with the Rangers last season against the Blue Jackets...

In the play, McIlrath steps up at the blueline and takes a penalty for a high hit. A hit he misses, which leads to a 2 on 1 for the Blue Jackets and a goal against.

I point to this play because McIlrath showed his mobility on it. Despite stepping up at the blueline and taking himself out of position (something he will surely hone throught his developmental process, but boy would I love a d-man who can do what he did here on a consistent/clean/effective basis), he was still the third man back into the play, and even cleared the crease if the pass went backdoor...

http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2013020473

Anisimov's goal that puts the Blue Jackets up 2-0.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I've posted this a few times, but I'll point again to a play Dylan made with the Rangers last season against the Blue Jackets...

In the play, McIlrath steps up at the blueline and takes a penalty for a high hit. A hit he misses, which leads to a 2 on 1 for the Blue Jackets and a goal against.

I point to this play because McIlrath showed his mobility on it. Despite stepping up at the blueline and taking himself out of position (something he will surely hone throught his developmental process, but boy would I love a d-man who can do what he did here on a consistent/clean/effective basis), he was still the third man back into the play, and even cleared the crease if the pass went backdoor...

Someone asked for the definition of sugarcoating earlier. This would be it.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
and there you go.

theres your indication as to the readiness of 2010 first round draft pick dylan mcilrath.

boyles hurt and whos the first d man recalled ? mike freekin kostka who did not blow the doors off in camp whatsoever.

now i know koska may not play much if at all given hunwick as the 7th and i know dylan needs to play and i know he will play big minutes in hartford but...... this organization knows dylan isnt near ready.

this here is a HUGE opportunity to play and they didnt even give him a sniff. this kinda addresses the "no where for him to play" argument.

says alot.

Almost everyone knew this already

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yep. I say he made a terrible play at our offensive blueline and then point to specific video evidence showing off his skating, and I'm "sugarcoating".

Got it.

All that play does for me is bring his hockey IQ into the discussion as well, which I think is another strike against him.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
All that play does for me is bring his hockey IQ into the discussion as well, which I think is another strike against him.

There's plenty to be legitimately disappointed with in terms of that pick. But it's evident you are exaggerating to such a degree that you are now just wrong. Compound that with not watching the preseason and you are just being a condescending, ignorant loud mouth.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Enforcers are kind of a dying breed which is what mcilrath is. He has a decent shot but not a great skater. His defense is still a ways to go for even bottom pair sheltered minutes. Rooting for the kid just being honest

McIlrath is not an enforcer. Not even close.

Trying to do too much ≠ Bad hockey IQ.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
There's plenty to be legitimately disappointed with in terms of that pick. But it's evident you are exaggerating to such a degree that you are now just wrong. Compound that with not watching the preseason and you are just being a condescending, ignorant loud mouth.

OK buddy. Talk to me in 3 years.

I hope hes an NHL regular. But if hes not, I expect an apology.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Why did I know... just KNOW that I was going to come into this thread to find an argument about McIlrath? I'd like to see him up at some point this season... but...

Kostka is a much better replacement for what Boyle brings. Now, I'm not saying he actually replaces what Boyle brings. Obviously not. Kostka is just a more mobile (I'm talking about puck movement, not skating) defenseman than McIlrath is. If it were Klein that was hurt, and Kostka was recalled, I'd be a little annoyed. Dan Boyle replaced Stralman. If you're going to replace Boyle, it should be with someone more mobile.

If people want to be upset about a young player not coming up, that player is Allen. But Allen was unimpressive in camp, so he didn't exactly earn it.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

He always had good straight away speed, but never knew how to do the twists and turns. I wrote this repeatedly in the Hartford thread, pretty sure you responded to it sometimes. McIlrath needs another few months. As I've been projecting for a couple of years now, he should be ready in the 2015 calendar year.

vipernsx

Flatus Expeller
Sep 4, 2005
technically he should be pretty set with both mcdonagh and moore able to play the point on the pp. what av really needs is a guy who can take a regular shift 5on5 and allow his top 5 guys to rotate in the way they did with moore last night.

i thought dylans skill set was such that every team needs a crease clearing road grader type guy who can send fear into opposing forwards.... blah blah blah.

if he can play, let him show he can play.

let him practice with the best, be around the guys, learn from them and learn on the job ala john moore. he can be sheltered, protected. let him play ?

you are spot on! You want the best team on the ice and that doesn't include McIlrath. Exclude the goalies and there's what 3 players taken in the first round of 2010 who've played fewer NHL games. I'm getting that Jessiman feeling.1
This. McIrath is ready but Rangers have the luxury (presently) to give him more time. He played just fine during pre-season.
They could be playing him 18-20 minutes with a reliable veteran, but that's time that apparently Kostka is more deserving of.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Do no other players fall down? I'm confused. I saw Staal fall down last night a few times.

He falls down multiple times per game for no good reason other than the fact that he can't stay up. That's very problematic.

I watched him regularly last year, and was hoping, praying for improvement, because, while I hated the pick at the time, I root for the Rangers and he's Rangers property. I didn't see it - at least not where it most needs to happen. What I saw was him improving incrementally in various aspects of his game and showing flashes that no doubt were the reason he was drafted - but still suffering from fundamental flaws that seriously scare me.

Beacon keeps saying that he'll be up for good in 2015. I need to see him do two things 1) improve his basic balance such that he doesn't wipe out multiple times per game and 2) improve his ability to deal with wingers going wide on the rush before I agree. All the improved play from the point, puckhandling and decision-making (all of which have improved) in the world don't matter if he can't address those two core issues. I would say he's gotten somewhat better at the second (though it still needs work), but the first remains a problem and I frankly haven't seen much progress on it to date.

By the same token, I'm one of the folks calling for them to bring him up and throw him into the fire. At this point, I think they need to change something up. Get him away from Kenny G and under AV, let him practice with guys like Girardi and McDonagh, see if the improved competition brings out a higher level of play from McI.

I'm not ready to give up on him - yet. But this idea that he's a burgeoning beast gestating in the minors and about to burst free just isn't the case, at least not as far as I've seen.

And it is starting to get a little late for him.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Kostka did not look like a very good player in preseason. He might not last long if his play doesn't improve. Just because he's here now doesn't mean he's going to stay.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Stralman GOAT on that first goal against, LMFAO.... can't believe how fast he got stepped up on there. I never noticed.

Agree with your assessment of Wrath. He was the 3rd man back, hustling from the opposing blue line, and still managed to crush the man waiting at the back door.

Guess who happens to be responsible otherwise for that goal?

John moore. See that atrocious coverage in the slot? See that wide open man on Hanks glove side?

Man the more I watch, the more I hope Allen takes a huge step this season and replaces him by the deadline

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Kostka did not look like a very good player in preseason. He might not last long if his play doesn't improve. Just because he's here now doesn't mean he's going to stay.

Kostka and Hunwick can alternate games. I strongly believe Staal can support either one of them.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
This. McIrath is ready but Rangers have the luxury (presently) to give him more time. He played just fine during pre-season.

Michael Kostka and Matt Hunwick are the 'luxuries' that are granting additional time in the AHL for a 22yo, right-handed, NHL-ready, up-and-coming 'force' of a defenseman?

Can't make this stuff up. :laugh:

Krams

Feb 13, 2012
How many times did tarensako "fall down" last night that gutless diver give me McIlrath over him every night

dumbfounded-gif.gif

McIlrath has done absolutely nothing at the NHL level, and is by no means a bonafide generational talent--yet you place a higher value on him than an immensely talented 22 yr old winger who has already played 103 games in the NHL, and scored at a 50+ point pace last season. Because you think he embellished last night.

I don't even consider McIlrath a bust or a bad hockey player, not by any stretch of the imagination. But the morbid obsession some posters here have with fighting and toffness is beyond ****ing bizarre.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I think it's a fair statement that Allen-McIlrath are our 5th pair behind Hunwick-Kostka. I was surprised when Beukeboom said McIlrath would be ready from the start of this year, and kept repeating that I believe it will be more like 2015 calendar year. If he keeps improving, he will get his shot later this season, but he's not quite there yet.

In Gordie Clark interviews draft week, he said clearly that the plan was to give McIlrath another full year in AHL, that he wasn't expected to be ready to be NHL regular yet due to the couple of injury shortened seasons.

He's just 22.
We sign kids out of college at 23 and dont expect them to jump right into the lineup. McIlrath isn't a prodigy like McDonagh. But if he's ready to play fulltime even beginning in '16; we have ourselves a physical defensive d-Man for a decade.

The posters here who spit on 22 year-olds, i wonder how successful they were, in their line of work, at 22.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino