Recalled/Assigned: Michael Kostka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I know people are rooting for mcilrath but i just dont see the skill other than fighting. Just wasnt a good pick at 10 with fowler and taranseko there

I'm really hoping he has a Willie Mitchell career. A really rough defenseman who you send out against bigger forwards, and eats up ES and PK time. He was one of LA's best defensemen in the SCF and played a huge part in keeping Kreider off the scoreboard.

It'd help if the guy in your avatar could play NHL hockey, but since he cant I'll go with a smaller guy who might be able to.

He looked good in preseason.

There's no reason to call him up when he hasn't gotten any action yet.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Or is it possible AV wants an offensive type of d-man in the line-up with an offensive d-man out? No way! McIlrath sucks!

technically he should be pretty set with both mcdonagh and moore able to play the point on the pp. what av really needs is a guy who can take a regular shift 5on5 and allow his top 5 guys to rotate in the way they did with moore last night.

i thought dylans skill set was such that every team needs a crease clearing road grader type guy who can send fear into opposing forwards.... blah blah blah.

if he can play, let him show he can play.

let him practice with the best, be around the guys, learn from them and learn on the job ala john moore. he can be sheltered, protected. let him play ?

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
Mcilrath is still young, but it's unfortunate that 4 years after he's drafted in the top half of the first round he's not ready.

On the other hand, maybe if John Moore didn't suck so much he would've gotten the call up. Who knows. Very bleh situation all around.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Or is it possible AV wants an offensive type of d-man in the line-up with an offensive d-man out? No way! McIlrath sucks!

Seriously. Seems pretty cut and dry to me. Will be interesting to see how the pairings shake out.

Assume Hunwick gets the first crack since he won the camp battle. But they could want Kostka to step in based on style.

Edit - Have we forgotten Mike Sauer's development already? Stuck full time in the 2010 training camp. For Big Mac that is 2015. We all have our thoughts on the pick but at this point I would sign up for a nastier Mike Sauer right now.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Christ. Kostka sucks. Didn't want him anywhere near this team and was thrilled when he was sent down. Oh well. Damn you Boyle!!! Heal quickly!!

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
was rooting for Tommy Hughes, who would just stay back, clear the crease, outlet, and have JMoore's back

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Losing boyle for a significant Amount of time hurts badly no way around it. He brings the offense we desperately need from the back end no one else in the system can replace that. They can cover his defensive play but we needed him for his powerplay and puck moving. We've really gotta focus on getting thru these first 10-15 games in the green without Stepan and Boyle

free0717

Apr 14, 2004
Old Bridge, NJ
Losing boyle for a significant Amount of time hurts badly no way around it. He brings the offense we desperately need from the back end no one else in the system can replace that. They can cover his defensive play but we needed him for his powerplay and puck moving. We've really gotta focus on getting thru these first 10-15 games in the green without Stepan and Boyle

next man up

RangersOwnNewYork*

I agree with this. He made strides last year at Hartford and looked much more comfortable with the puck in preseason. He sustained a pretty serious knee injury which set him back a little in his development. He needs some top line minutes in Hartford to continue his progression and I think he will be ready by mid-season to play 3rd line minutes for the rangers if needed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I know this is the conservative move, but I was hoping they'd recall McIlrath. People have heaped glowing praise on him for having made the most incremental of progress year after year. Honestly, at the rate he's going, he'll be ready when he's 27 - or in other words, he'll be Michael Kostka. I say call him up and see if the trial by fire and the superior competition forces him to up his game and kickstart that development curve.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Because he's still a quality prospect. Pretty simple actually

That's pretty blasphemous thought around here. I agree with this 100%, but a lot of people have (wrongfully so, IMO) thrown away any possible future McIlrath has.

We drafted him as a project.

It takes bigger defenseman a longer time to develop the right way.

He's been hurt and missed key development time.

He's 22 years old...

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I think it's a fair statement that Allen-McIlrath are our 5th pair behind Hunwick-Kostka. I was surprised when Beukeboom said McIlrath would be ready from the start of this year, and kept repeating that I believe it will be more like 2015 calendar year. If he keeps improving, he will get his shot later this season, but he's not quite there yet.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Offensive-minded D goes down + recall offensive-minded D = McIlrath sucks omg I was right!!!!111Oneone!1

Pretty standard thought process around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad