Recalled/Assigned: Michael Kostka

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dorado*

SMH @ John Moore as barely an NHL d man . I sense him being candidate for 2014-15 whipping boy on here .

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
The reality of it is they both Moore and Wrath are both 3rd pairing defenders RIGHT NOW. Wrath isn't on the team due to a logjam on the Right side at this time.

The only thing that makes Moore look terrible is that he has nearly 200 games of experience, while Wrath has less than 10, and yet both are "just as bad" as each other. Moore is also 2 years older than Wrath (Hence the experience).

Using that information, you can clearly say that Moore is the worse defenseman RIGHT NOW considering after 2.5 seasons, he's probably not going to be a top 4 defender on a team with defensive depth...

Innocent before proven guilty, which leads me to my next point:
If Wrath has this same issue in 2 years with the same or similar experience levels by that time, then we agree that both of them are sucky, bottom pairing defenders.. Plain and simple ...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Don't bother. John Moore can't do anything wrong, and any mistake he makes is because "he's still learning". Yet, conveniently, McIlrath doesn't get the same excuse.

I don't get it, either. McDonagh was better as a 23 year old than a 22 year old. He was better as a 24 year old than a 23 year old. I expect him to be better as a 25 year old than a 24 year old.

Why can't the same logic apply to Moore and McIlrath? Obviously, they're not starting from a point where he was a top-4 D in the NHL as McDonagh was and don't have the same kind of ceiling. Why can't they improve while other players can?

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I don't get it, either. McDonagh was better as a 23 year old than a 22 year old. He was better as a 24 year old than a 23 year old. I expect him to be better as a 25 year old than a 24 year old.

Why can't the same logic apply to Moore and McIlrath? Obviously, they're not starting from a point where he was a top-4 D in the NHL as McDonagh was and don't have the same kind of ceiling. Why can't they improve while other players can?

McDonagh is an exception because he's an a special plater, but young defensemen can have ups and downs in progression on a year-to-year basis.

TBH I'm not sure what to expect from McIlrath anymore, probably a Deryk Engellend type is a fair comparable.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McDonagh is an exception because he's an a special plater, but young defensemen can have ups and downs in progression on a year-to-year basis.

TBH I'm not sure what to expect from McIlrath anymore, probably a Deryk Engellend type is a fair comparable.

McDonagh isn't really special in this sense. He's special in that he's working from an extremely high level of talent. His progression is pretty normal.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Adam Mcquaid with the added fighting and ability to throw the open ice hit, been saying this for 3 years at least now. MCI is on the same exact path. MCQ entered the NHL around the same age, and of course, drafted by Gorton when he was with the Jackets. Bruins traded a 5th rounder to acquire him.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
JMoore can't think the game nearly as well as Mac Truck. He is physically weaker, and softer when it comes to defending.

There are things that get better with experience, positioning, moving the puck quicker, coverage. That's not the case with JMoore.

The Rangers are in a position of weakness with him as opposed to a more reliable LHD. JMoore was on a the ice for several OT playoff goals against the last two years where he missed his man in front of the net. That's something that can't happen this year.

No more growing pains.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
JMoore can't think the game nearly as well as Mac Truck. He is physically weaker, and softer when it comes to defending.

There are things that get better with experience, positioning, moving the puck quicker, coverage. That's not the case with JMoore.

The Rangers are in a position of weakness with him as opposed to a more reliable LHD. JMoore was on a the ice for several OT playoff goals against the last two years where he missed his man in front of the net. That's something that can't happen this year.

No more growing pains.
One game in and it's already happened. :laugh:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Adam Mcquaid with the added fighting and ability to throw the open ice hit, been saying this for 3 years at least now. MCI is on the same exact path. MCQ entered the NHL around the same age, and of course, drafted by Gorton when he was with the Jackets. Bruins traded a 5th rounder to acquire him.

He's an exponentially better skater than McQuaid, though.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Which barely matters, he'll play that same role in the NHL. Great to have a better skater, but until he proves its an asset I'll curb my expectations.

McIlrath needs to play, but I am very confident that he can come up and contribute like Girardi and Sauer did. That is on the PK, and on the 3rd pair to start, playing a steady game.

He hasn't had the amount of reps that you'd like, but with Boyle out, he's probably the most stable of the defensive options within the organization.

Unlike Kostka or Hunwick, he can with net front battles, and unlike them, he actually covers a lot of the ice.

If he plays a decisive simple game with the puck, he'll contribute at the NHL level now, but I think that's what he needs to work most on.

I'd give Kostka a look after the Hunwick experiment proves unreliable, which is a matter of how many games that this staff wants to overplay the top 3. After the Kostka experiment fails, bring up McIlrath and insulate him with Staal.

thenumbersdonotlie*

McIlrath not getting the call is just dumb. He was very solid in camp. 100% better than his last camp which was poor. They drafted the kid 10th overall for his size, toughness and shutdown ability knowing he was a project. So when he has a solid camp, they give a scrub the opportunity to take Boyle's spot. They were run over last night and deserved it. 100% AV's fault for not putting McIlrath in the lineup.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
McIlrat barely held on in preseason when half the lineup was made up of AHLers and the other half of barely trying players. He will get exposed if called up now. Let him catch up as he learns the right moves in the AHL. I am still confident he will be NHL-ready before the season's end.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
McIlrat barely held on in preseason when half the lineup was made up of AHLers and the other half of barely trying players. He will get exposed if called up now. Let him catch up as he learns the right moves in the AHL. I am still confident he will be NHL-ready before the season's end.

this sounds right to me. it's a bit early for mcilrath but i suspect he will play well in the ahl and be up...either filling-in for an injury or replacing moore... in november

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad