He is 22
he is a monster
he hits like a truck
he missed almost a full year to knee injury
he is tough as nails
he would be a top 5 enforcer in the nhl right now
he would protect Hank
he is improving every game..

I WATCHED the PRE SEASON and I watch the PACK,, DO YOU ?

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
The one advantage of late injuries rather than early is that kids might be ready. If Step and Boyle had gotten injured in March maybe Lindberg/Hayes and/or Allen/McIlrath would've been ready.

People prefer early season injuries for emotional reasons, but points in October are worth no less than points in March, except it would probably be easier to replace Step and Boyle in March.

E-Train

Feb 27, 2002
New Jersey
Instead of BPA, they went with need.
They needed a game breaking scorer at the time as well. Forget Fowler or any of the other defensemen. Tarasenko was the need and the BPA at that spot.
At the same time, they went with McIlrath, who can still become a useful everyday player. Nowhere near a bust of a pick just not the best use of draft position.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
I'm not disagreeing. The point was they were a bit too hung up on a "crease clearer". imo. They past up on more talented players.
. I dont hate mcilrath i just think he more of a enforcer which is starting to die out while brady skjei seems like a more talented defensemen

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
He is 22
he is a monster
he hits like a truck
he missed almost a full year to knee injury
he is tough as nails
he would be a top 5 enforcer in the nhl right now
he would protect Hank
he is improving every game..

I WATCHED the PRE SEASON and I watch the PACK,, DO YOU ?

Ive watched enough NHL hockey to know that if he doesnt improve his skating/balance, all of those other things don't matter a lick.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Ive watched enough NHL hockey to know that if he doesnt improve his skating/balance, all of those other things don't matter a lick.
exactly. Being a top 10 pick over 4 years ago and not being close to ready for even bottom pair minutes is a bit scary especially with fowler doing well

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
exactly. Being a top 10 pick over 4 years ago and not being close to ready for even bottom pair minutes is a bit scary especially with fowler doing well

When will people stop believing him being a top 10 pick has ANYTHINGG to do with his development curve?

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
When will people stop believing him being a top 10 pick has ANYTHINGG to do with his development curve?

This I agree with. Hes a sunk cost at this point if you slap his draft status on him.

I just hope he becomes an NHL regular one day, and Im highly skeptical of that. Sather and company seemingly drafted him at the exact moment that the game was passing players like him by.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
it doesnt i just dont see much skill. Much more excited for skjei who looks more ready

Yeah, Skjei had a different development curve. And that's fine. He's a different player.

"For sure draft steal" Brandon Gormley (from 2010 draft) still hasn't made the NHL. he's followinga different development curve. That doesn't make him a bad player.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Ill leave it to you to sugarcoat it about him getting better. Bottom line is he still did not seriously compete for an NHL job.

BRB, I really respect your opinion but you just mentioned you didn't get to see him pre-season. Why such the hard line when you haven't seen him play this pre-season?

The funny thing is, I was just as angry when he was drafted, however when people fail to see any sort of upside or positive to the game he plays and the value he can bring is when I have to jump in. I'm not saying he is going to Pronger. But he isn't going to Jessiman (used by someone else, not you) either.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Yup. The whole fall-down-go-boom thing needs to go away this season. The flashes everywhere else don't mean **** as long as that problem persists.

From his skating at age 18 to today, even with the knee injuries - it's miles upon miles better than what we had when we drafted him.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Yeah, Skjei had a different development curve. And that's fine. He's a different player.

"For sure draft steal" Brandon Gormley (from 2010 draft) still hasn't made the NHL. he's followinga different development curve. That doesn't make him a bad player.
sometimes you take offense if i am critical of a player. I want mcilrath to do well i just try to be objective

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Is everybody that says anything positive about McIlrath "sugar coating" it?

I dont mind the "hes getting better" stuff, because that might be true. Though getting better each season may still lead to an NHL job.

That said, a lot of folks feel the need to add "I think he'll be ready by mid-season/a couple months/etc/etc"

Thats a load of crap. The guy is #9 on the defense depth chart behind 2 people most of us have never heard of before this offseason.

Hes got a ways to go -- so, that "getting better" stuff better accelerate a little quicker...or else, yes, it'll always be sugarcoating it.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
BRB, I really respect your opinion but you just mentioned you didn't get to see him pre-season. Why such the hard line when you haven't seen him play this pre-season?

Because I dont pretend to know if minor leaguers are improving or not.

What I do know is, in his 5th training camp, he never seriously competed for a spot.

SupersonicMonkey*

Makes sense, saw this coming. Can't have rookies in the press box, and they don't want to throw anyone into the lineup if they aren't ready. Hunwick played well in camp and earned the right to get first crack.

Kostka is insurance, but he won't play. Keep him around for a warm body as 7th D.

Get Hunwick some PP time, he looked good there in pre season.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
Enforcers are kind of a dying breed which is what mcilrath is. He has a decent shot but not a great skater. His defense is still a ways to go for even bottom pair sheltered minutes. Rooting for the kid just being honest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad