Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Ian Furness ‏@IanKJR

from one former #kings and longtime #NBA Exec “$500 mil asking price is right on.†also Mayor is working right now to get local group deal.

Sac Mayor trying to get a local group going to keep team there.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Im not dissing seattle at all, just saying he feels Seattle is being favored by some because its not the south, me, I don't think that's a big deal at all. Personally I don't think that should have any bearing.

Thing is, Gary has a too big of an ego to move two teams in two years to Canada, that makes it perfectly logic for Seattle to be more of a relocation candidate than expansion candidate. Even more, when you, me and everyone else knows that he can get more from expansions in Canada than in the US.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Thing is, Gary has a too big of an ego to move two teams in two years to Canada, that makes it perfectly logic for Seattle to be more of a relocation candidate than expansion candidate. Even more, when you, me and everyone else knows that he can get more from expansions in Canada than in the US.

Only if you're operating under the presumption that Bettman somehow "has it in" for Canada.

As far as I am concerned...all the way IN.

You guys are both wrong. It looks bad in the US media to move teams from US to Canada within 3 years. That's all. The NHL got raked over the hot coals because of Atlanta to Winnipeg. This plus the lockout = media narrative on the NHL failing in the US.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Hamilton and Quebec don't have other sports to follow, besides Quebec City residents are a bunch of habs fans anyways, so they sort of have a team anyways, just the Hamilton and the Leafs.
True. Like I said that should have no bearing either way. There are lots of leafs fans who could care less about the NHL if that makes sense.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
Hamilton and Quebec don't have other sports to follow, besides Quebec City residents are a bunch of habs fans anyways, so they sort of have a team anyways, just the Hamilton and the Leafs.

I can assure you one thing, while there are some wannabe Habs fans in Quebec City (and there has always been) there is more ''peeing guy on habs logo stickets'' in this city than in any other anywhere in the world. (Pretty sure LA has some Rangers fans and NYC some Kings fans).

You guys are both wrong. It looks bad in the US media to move teams from US to Canada within 3 years. That's all. The NHL got raked over the hot coals because of Atlanta to Winnipeg. This plus the lockout = media narrative on the NHL failing in the US.

I do agree with that it would hurt the league much more to move another team to Canada after this lockout than to move it within the USA. But that goes the inline with the argument that Gary Bettman hates us.

Anyway lets stop going off topic about other cities. If Seattle gets an NBA team, things are only looking positive for an NHL entity to follow.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
NHL to Seattle, next on the docket. Now that (it appears) things are a go for NBA, and thus a building. Wonder if this is a game-changer with regard to certain other relocatable entities.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Sac mayor KJ is gonna is now gonna try to get a local group with buyers to try to buy the team to keep them local.

Too little too late. imo. Never ASSUME a team isn't up to sale and assume that they are and prepare for such a case.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I agree, KJ is a late assembling a group of white knights.

Though I smell nothing more than a PR stunt to say he did everything in his power to keep the Kings in town. The writing has been on the wall for a while and KJ doesn't want the Kings leaving town on his watch being his legacy. Plus being a former NBA player to boot.

Desperation...

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
The NHL got raked over the hot coals because of Atlanta to Winnipeg. This plus the lockout = media narrative on the NHL failing in the US.

They did? Oh, you mean for the "failing South" thing.

You just said it yourself: Adding Canadian teams via expansion rather than relocation is sound BUSINESS decision. Whether Bettman's ego is too big is either incorrect or moot.

That media narrative Munch mentioned would (and probably SHOULD) prevent him from allowing another Southern team to move out of the South. I think the best thing to do is add expansion teams in Seattle and Quebec and try to make inroads with Houston as the Coyotes' destination if/when the new owner wants to cut bait.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
NHL to Seattle, next on the docket. Now that (it appears) things are a go for NBA, and thus a building. Wonder if this is a game-changer with regard to certain other relocatable entities.

I believe it is a game-changer, if the studies they run show they think both the NBA and NHL can be successful they will jump to the front of the line. In a lot of ways Seattle has always made sense for the typical NHL fanbase in terms of cities. Big corporate sponsors (going to need some new ones probably) and tons of potential owners. Along with an affluent area which studies show the NHL has the largest percentage breakdown of in terms of the four major (I know hockey might not be one but not really debating it just making a point) North American leagues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad