Melnyk's Townhall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It's just a dumb opinion.

What's a bigger waste of money? The fifteen bucks I donated to the billboard or the easily more than 10 grand I've spent on seasons tickets, parking, concessions throughout my life to watch grown men glide around with razor blades strapped to their feet chasing a rubber disk and punching each other in the face.

Honestly, I think it may come from the opinion that the billboards are a) hurtful, like him or not, having billboards going up telling the guy he needs to go is probably going to hurt the guys feelings whether he admits it or not, and b) she may believe they won't actually accomplish anything, or at the very least, anything that couldn't be accomplished through other means.

Don't get me wrong, the billboards have arguably started a conversation that needed to be had, and brought national attention to it. But the ends don't always justify the means, and I have no issue with somebody who doesn't support the means used to start this conversation going regardless of whether or not I support the end goal.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
That is not how business works.
Also, you cannot use the Vegas expansion fee as a basis for valuation. Carolina sold for $420M, not $500M.

And that is why I said the estimated value, and said "the better part of a Billion dollars" to buy the team, and construct an arena.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
How is this related to the fact that the statement comes from a woman? If she disagrees with the avenue some folks took to take a stand, that’s her perogative. To tell people, - if you have extra money, let me tell you how you shouldn’t spend it. - not sure her common sense kicked in before she pressed the send button.

In my opinion, players and their spouses should refrain from commenting about certain situations. It would be the professional thing to do.
.....but isn't that what people are doing to Melnyk? ....telling him how to spend his money? ...and if we don't like it we will try to force you out....

How is this better?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
In my opinion, players and their spouses should refrain from commenting about certain situations. It would be the professional thing to do.

Do you mean like Turris, when he speculated to reporters and said "I Think the owner did not want me to re-sign" or His Wife who tweeted "lol" when asked about it?

Kyle Turris says he thinks Senators’ owner Eugene Melnyk didn’t want to sign him | Toronto Star

Breaking: Turris' wife humiliates NHL GM after he implies her husband lied.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Nobody's denying that she has the right to speak her mind. Freedom of speech is a concept I think most us would defend to the death. But here's the thing – as much as she's entitled to share an opinion, I'm entitled to call her an ******* for having that opinion.
This is what is wrong with HFBoards. The complete and utter lack of respect and total detachment from reality. Tara is an actual person. She exists. She lives in this city. I highly doubt that you would hurl offensive insults at her for expressing her opinion if you were in the same room. You wouldn't do that because it would be wrong. And you would be quickly corrected by those around you. But on the internet, you are free to spout hateful nonsense, so that's what you do. Give your head a shake man. Step away from the keyboard and get used to talking with real people.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Honestly, I think it may come from the opinion that the billboards are a) hurtful, like him or not, having billboards going up telling the guy he needs to go is probably going to hurt the guys feelings whether he admits it or not, and b) she may believe they won't actually accomplish anything, or at the very least, anything that couldn't be accomplished through other means.

Don't get me wrong, the billboards have arguably started a conversation that needed to be had, and brought national attention to it. But the ends don't always justify the means, and I have no issue with somebody who doesn't support the means used to start this conversation going regardless of whether or not I support the end goal.

I agree with you, if she disagrees fine, who cares, I didn't even know who she was until I saw this tweet. Telling people to get their priorities straight is an entirely different thing.

That's like going to curling rink and telling everyone who is at the bar and on the ice that they need to get their priorities straight because there is a war in the middle east. Everyone is just doing their thing, she shouldn't be telling the ticket buyers of the Ottawa Senators anything about priorities.

Her husband is a good guy, but he is a violence guy, i don't agree with his game but I don't think he needs to get his priority straight, I think he needs to listen to the fans that are concerned for his health and stop dropping the gloves.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
.....but isn't that what people are doing to Melnyk? ....telling him how to spend his money? ...and if we don't like it we will try to force you out....

How is this better?
No, I feel the two are different. We’re asking Melnyk to better manage the business we’re investing into as his customers.

She is telling people to spend their extra money on “more important” things. Was she even thinking before she wrote this? She’s addressing people who spend their extra money on hockey tickets to a team in which her husband is part of!!! Her statement is utterly ridiculous. If we follow her “sound” advice, we should stop buying tickets and donate that money to world issues. Her husband could then go look for a job elsewhere.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Do you mean like Turris, when he speculated to reporters and said "I Think the owner did not want me to re-sign" or His Wife who tweeted "lol" when asked about it?

Kyle Turris says he thinks Senators’ owner Eugene Melnyk didn’t want to sign him | Toronto Star

Breaking: Turris' wife humiliates NHL GM after he implies her husband lied.
That concerned Turris directly and personally. As for his wife writing that tweet, no, I didn’t agree with her action.

Reactions: coladin

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
This is what is wrong with HFBoards. The complete and utter lack of respect and total detachment from reality. Tara is an actual person. She exists. She lives in this city. I highly doubt that you would hurl offensive insults at her for expressing her opinion if you were in the same room. You wouldn't do that because it would be wrong. And you would be quickly corrected by those around you. But on the internet, you are free to spout hateful nonsense, so that's what you do. Give your head a shake man. Step away from the keyboard and get used to talking with real people.
Conversely, I doubt Tara would walk into a #Melnykout meeting (hypothetical) and rant at people to get their priorities straight and tell them how to spend their money.

She is being dealt with in the medium she chose to express herself.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I'm confused as to where this aggression is coming from, slamigo. I think we've both been around these parts long enough to know what we're about. I think I've built a reputation as a reasonable and fair poster. A bit on the caustic side sometimes, sure, but certainly not an "Internet tough guy." And I certainly know you to be the same type of person.

That said, I would absolutely call Tara an asshole for having that opinion to her face. She's well within her rights to share it, but I don't think it's a worthwhile opinion. It only serves to further a divide we should be attempting to mend, and places the blame squarely on people whose discretionary spending has supported her and her husband's lifestyle. Moreover, it places the blame on the fans who feel the most like we're being held hostage with no real voice in any of this. We're expected to be cash mills for an owner who not only doesn't care about us, but actively derides us in the media every chance he gets.

I do agree that a big problem with forums and Twitter and the Internet in general is that people feel empowered to spew vitriol for no apparent reason other than it makes them feel good. But make no mistake here – this is not the case here. I would welcome an opportunity to sit down with Tara and explain my side – not only why it's a very flawed opinion, but also why it's deeply disrespectful and, yes, an asshole thing to say.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
She is being dealt with in the medium she chose to express herself.
Jeez man. Wow.

The guy said "I'm entitled to call her an ******* for having that opinion".

The medium isn't the problem. The problem is the lack of respect and seething anger. And Tara would most certainly be welcome to express her opinion against the #melnykout signs just like many other folks on here have done.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
That said, I would absolutely call Tara an ******* for having that opinion to her face.
Insert slow golf clap here as all the other trolls marvel at your bravery. The pride you must feel.

Just go back and edit your post and I'll do the same. Erase all evidence of this nonsensical statement. That can't be what you really feel.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Insert slow golf clap here as all the other trolls marvel at your bravery. The pride you must feel.

Just go back and edit your post and I'll do the same. Erase all evidence of this nonsensical statement. That can't be what you really feel.
I feel pretty strongly about this, if that hasn't been made clear by now. I think it's inherently disrespectful to tell a portion of a fanbase that what they're doing is "stupid, and a waste." Respect, as you undoubtedly know, is a two-way street.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Well another problem is to expect and demand respect on an internet forum. I mean if you are going to make a controversial statement on the internet and somehow expect nothing but respectful comments then maybe posting in the first place wasn't such a great idea.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Jeez man. Wow.

The guy said "I'm entitled to call her an ******* for having that opinion".

The medium isn't the problem. The problem is the lack of respect and seething anger. And Tara would most certainly be welcome to express her opinion against the #melnykout signs just like many other folks on here have done.
But would she be likely to express that disrespectful opinion to their faces?

I agree some of the reaction is over the top, but when you use Twitter to rant at people, you reap what you sow.

Last edited:
Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

But, Slamigo, in this last post, are you not guilty of the exact same thing you’re accusing others of doing?

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
But, Slamigo, in this last post, are you not guilty of the exact same thing you’re accusing others of doing?
No. I posted an allegory that would lend one to infer that people of similar base characteristics are suitably impressed by demonstrations of false bravery, with the overarching hope that if the reader did identify with the situation, that perhaps they may feel some small sense of embarrassment or shame.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa

I know I wouldn't personally toss insults at someone's opinion I disagree with and this is certainly one I disagree with fundamentally. I would be open to provide my reasoning as to why I strongly disagree with the take if there open to discussing it if not agree to disagree and move on. The problem with social media is you put yourself out there to be interacted with, rightly or wrongly people will attack your opinion if and when you put it out there on almost everything and certainly something a group feels strongly about, if you don't like it don't participate I guess and is how operate personally.

I think what is wrong with HFBoards and life in general is people not understanding the idea that their thoughts may not be shared by absolutely everyone and not being open to other's opinion's even if they disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Well another problem is to expect and demand respect on an internet forum. I mean if you are going to make a controversial statement on the internet and somehow expect nothing but respectful comments then maybe posting in the first place wasn't such a great idea.
My point is that posters on here need to take ownership of how they present themselves. Do I agree with Boro's wife's take on the situation and tweet? Absolutely not. But I hear the point she's trying to make and it isn't wrong. However, it is ironic and perhaps self serving because her family depends on disposable income being diverted from needy causes.
But there's no need to lash out. If anything, that tweet deserved something more like this.

5c2.jpg

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I personally find it insulting, imagine your name on that billboard, it's a personal attack on a person that some in the community (that not all support) want that person out of their community. It's an attempt to publicly ostracize, shame & embarrass a human being & not only is it hurtful IMO it's shameful & a terrible way to show your disapproval. All of this over the direction & operation of a SPORTS team he owns, an entertainment private business. Where is this outrage over homelessness?

Put your name in his place & see how you feel then about being publicly shamed. #"placeyournamehere"OUT. Will this spill into the political arena, will we see #TRUDEAUOUT next, what if your neighbour doesn't like you, what about religion or culture, where does it stop? Who will be the next target? I am not defending EM, I'm against the tactic, it's shameful where our society is headed with personal public attacks. The lack of respect & decorum towards each other seems to be getting worse. I have read several times on here someone call a player garbage, they called a human being garbage. Players are people, they have families & friends that read these things. Regardless of how much they dislike a player no one deserves to be described in this way, it diminishes the worth of all of us & can only lead to more greater divides within our culture & disrespect. Words matter. I hate to think this is the world we live in now but it seems to be, it's a sad state of affairs. We're becoming more like Trump, using social media to fight against & demean anyone who disagrees with us. It's a crowd mentality, tribalism at it's worse.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I feel pretty strongly about this, if that hasn't been made clear by now. I think it's inherently disrespectful to tell a portion of a fanbase that what they're doing is "stupid, and a waste." Respect, as you undoubtedly know, is a two-way street.
That doesn't seem to register for those critical of the #Melnykout movement.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I personally find it insulting, imagine your name on that billboard, it's a personal attack on a person that some in the community (that not all support) want that person out of their community. It's an attempt to publicly ostracize, shame & embarrass a human being & not only is it hurtful IMO it's shameful & a terrible way to show your disapproval. All of this over the direction & operation of a SPORTS team he owns, an entertainment private business. Where is this outrage over homelessness?

Put your name in his place & see how you feel then about being publicly shamed. #"placeyournamehere"OUT. Will this spill into the political arena, will we see #TRUDEAUOUT next, what if your neighbour doesn't like you, what about religion or culture, where does it stop? Who will be the next target? I am not defending EM, I'm against the tactic, it's shameful where our society is headed with personal public attacks. The lack of respect & decorum towards each other seems to be getting worse. I have read several times on here someone call a player garbage, they called a human being garbage. Players are people, they have families & friends that read these things. Regardless of how much they dislike a player no one deserves to be described in this way, it diminishes the worth of all of us & can only lead to more greater divides within our culture & disrespect. Words matter. I hate to think this is the world we live in now but it seems to be, it's a sad state of affairs. We're becoming more like Trump, using social media to fight against & demean anyone who disagrees with us. It's a crowd mentality, tribalism at it's worse.

Melnyk's behaviour over his lifetime is reprehensible. He is fully worthy of the public shaming.

A tweet summed it up nicely. I may be paraphrasing, but the gist was as follows:

"Melnyk may be the only person to come back from a near death experience as an even bigger piece of $hit."

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
No, I feel the two are different. We’re asking Melnyk to better manage the business we’re investing into as his customers.

She is telling people to spend their extra money on “more important” things. Was she even thinking before she wrote this? She’s addressing people who spend their extra money on hockey tickets to a team in which her husband is part of!!! Her statement is utterly ridiculous. If we follow her “sound” advice, we should stop buying tickets and donate that money to world issues. Her husband could then go look for a job elsewhere.
People are telling Melnyk he should be spending on "more important things" such as scouts, building a bigger front office, marketing etc. Mark's wife is saying we should be spending on things that would make the world a better place. You may not like it but it's exactly the same thing.

That said, I also think that Melnyk should be spending more on scouts, marketing, the experience etc. The difference is that I choose to do it in a way that doesn't embarrass anyone, shame them or try to force them to do something against their will (...like sell the team...).

I no longer go to games, don't buy merchandise and express my dissatisfaction to Sens staff whenever I can.

I treat Melnyk in the same way I treated Sears and Blockbuster. I (along with many others) stopped consuming the services they offer. We all know how that worked out for them.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
No. I posted an allegory that would lend one to infer that people of similar base characteristics are suitably impressed by demonstrations of false bravery, with the overarching hope that if the reader did identify with the situation, that perhaps they may feel some small sense of embarrassment or shame.
The internet has become a way of life. Personally, I prefer real life to the virtual one.

That said, as one poster stated, if you chose the virtual medium to make a controversial statement, there is very little chance not to receive backlash.

In my opinion, to tweet a jab at a portion of the fanbase was a terrible judgement call on her part.

Peace out...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad