Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Hoffman-Duchene-Stone
Karlsson-Chabot

Pretty kickass as a core for the future, no?

Whoever is planning to attend the townhalls (as alluded to by Pierre Dorion), please tell El Cheapo to shut the f*** up and listen to the fans for a second.

Discuss what topics you want to bring up if given the mic in a town hall.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe and Deku

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Would love to meet some members from this forum there, boy that would be a hoot.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Mr.Melnyk I want to thank you for saving this franchise in 2003, and the many great moments your ownership has brought to me as a sens fan. In the recent years it has been evident that the budget restrictions you have put on the teams has conflicted with team success. The team planned on losing salary to vegas either through Methot, or Phaneuf and pretended like it was noth something they wanted to do. Daniel Alfredsson could not finish a Sen for Life because you broke your promise to pay him financially. We lost another community leader in Kyle Turris, who was asking for a fair market contract but you didn't want it to him, and had your GM lie for you and say you had no involvement. You have even interfered in this teams ability to set itself up for the future by trading a multi time 20 goal scoring centre who just entered his 20s in Mika Zibanejad for a similar player however trending downward just to save dollars, you even had to get the GM to throw away another asset in a top 60 draft pick (2nd rounder) to get that money saving move done. This team is not at the cap none of these moves are necessary if Ottawa has competitive ownership with the rest of the NHL. Now many reputable sources are reporting that you are basically trying to sell the best player in franchise history to get avoid paying him what he is worth, and to get rid of another contract so YOU can profit of it.

Mr.Melynk with local billionaires expressing publicly they are interested in buying the team, and your inability to support a team competitive with the NHL financially, Why should fans support you? Do you believe its because you were lucky enough to win a Canadian NHL franchise that quadrupled its value since then?

Remember the fan that donated his liver to keep you alive said he wants to see the sens win the Stanley Cup, do the honest thing and sell this team to deliver on your promise.

[mod]

#anotherlamethread

You can ignore threads you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Why was it important to make so many changes after being 1 goal away from blahblahblah. And comment on former players saying ownership didn't want to sign them and that the team is a mess.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Talk less, smile more.

What a bad idea. I think most Sens fans want to hear a lot less from their owner, not more. I can't see this going well and him not putting his foot in his mouth in front of a live audience and off script.

This is problem with not having any adults in the front office anymore. Murray and Leader did their best to keep the mad dog on his leash and now there's no one left.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Mr.Melynk with local billionaires expressing publicly they are interested in buying the team

Sorry, that's not true.

If it is, who and when did the publicly express it?

The Devcore Canderel DLS Group never made a public offer to buy the team.

They were asked why their Bid included a NHL Arena, and they said that IF they won the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats, they would be open to make land available to EM and let him build an Arena, own it and operate it.

Failing that, they suggested they would offer to rent their Arena to Melnyk's team.

And as a last resort they would offer to buy the team ............. IF they won the rights to redevelop Lebreton flats ......... they did not, so there was no offer ever made to Melnyk, for the Senators.

LeBreton Flats redevelopment: Two groups compete for NCC opportunity in central Ottawa | Ottawa Construction News

Reactions: aragorn

Joider

Aug 13, 2012
Ottawa
Talk less, smile more.

What a bad idea. I think most Sens fans want to hear a lot less from their owner, not more. I can't see this going well and him not putting his foot in his mouth in front of a live audience and off script.

This is problem with not having any adults in the front office anymore. Murray and Leader did their best to keep the mad dog on his leash and now there's no one left.

That is probably the worst way to think about this situation. Melnyk has always talked a lot but this time he's willing to open a dialogue directly with the fans instead of talking at us through media. He's not selling the team, and as unfortunate as that may be, he needs to know that if basic things, such as resigning Duchene, Karlsson and Stone, are not done his revenue will suffer tremendously. If he doesn't listen then fine, we don't show up to games. Melynk know's he's not going to be the popular one at these meetings so at least give the conversation a chance before giving up. This isn't me saying I like Melynk, I think he's a shit owner, but if he's willing to listen why not try to get through?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That is probably the worst way to think about this situation. Melnyk has always talked a lot but this time he's willing to open a dialogue directly with the fans instead of talking at us through media. He's not selling the team, and as unfortunate as that may be, he needs to know that if basic things, such as resigning Duchene, Karlsson and Stone, are not done his revenue will suffer tremendously. If he doesn't listen then fine, we don't show up to games. Melynk know's he's not going to be the popular one at these meetings so at least give the conversation a chance before giving up. This isn't me saying I like Melynk, I think he's a **** owner, but if he's willing to listen why not try to get through?
What's the point of it though? He's only going to say what we want to hear in vague terms.

"We're committed to winning a Stanley Cup"
"We will do everything we can to retain our top players"
"We're committed to drafting and developing players"

Nothing they say matters, only what they do. I'd rather Melnyk hire some more scouts and front office talent and just put out a brief press release. DO THINGS. Don't just pay lip service. This whole thing is a waste of time.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That is probably the worst way to think about this situation. Melnyk has always talked a lot but this time he's willing to open a dialogue directly with the fans instead of talking at us through media. He's not selling the team, and as unfortunate as that may be, he needs to know that if basic things, such as resigning Duchene, Karlsson and Stone, are not done his revenue will suffer tremendously. If he doesn't listen then fine, we don't show up to games. Melynk know's he's not going to be the popular one at these meetings so at least give the conversation a chance before giving up. This isn't me saying I like Melynk, I think he's a **** owner, but if he's willing to listen why not try to get through?

Is this common practice that NHL team fans dictate to the owner & GM who they should re-sign, how much money they should spend & how they should go about their business? Seems odd to me that Sens fans would try & blackmail the team owner that if he doesn't re-sign certain players they won't buy tickets & I can't stand the guy. They are in the business of winning & in yrs that don't go well there are usually a number of changes made & they have made a number of changes already & I assume there are more to come. Anyway good luck to the fans who want certain changes, I doubt it does anything but at least they get to vent their frustration to the owner. Should be interesting to see what comes of this.

Hellraising Senator

Feb 15, 2017
[mod]

These townhall meetings should be interesting. If I lived in Ottawa I'd attend. The more and louder we are as a group in unity the better chances of positive changes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sorry, that's not true.

If it is, who and when did the publicly express it?

The Devcore Canderel DLS Group never made a public offer to buy the team.

They were asked why their Bid included a NHL Arena, and they said that IF they won the rights to redevelop Lebreton Flats, they would be open to make land available to EM and let him build an Arena, own it and operate it.

Failing that, they suggested they would offer to rent their Arena to Melnyk's team.

And as a last resort they would offer to buy the team ............. IF they won the rights to redevelop Lebreton flats ......... they did not, so there was no offer ever made to Melnyk, for the Senators.

LeBreton Flats redevelopment: Two groups compete for NCC opportunity in central Ottawa | Ottawa Construction News

This really doesn't seem to align with how it actually happend.

DLS offered to buy the team, Melnyk apparently said no. They were reportadly very interested back in 2016

The partners in the Devcore Canderel DLS Group want to buy the Ottawa Senators from Eugene Melnyk and move the team to their proposed “Theatre of Sports and Entertainment” on LeBreton Flats, a source close to the partners said Monday.
If the DCDLS bid to develop LeBreton Flats is successful, “these guys want to buy the team. These are individuals who have very deep pockets. They live, they work and they pay taxes here in Canada. They’re close, they can support the Senators.”

Then, more recently, they stated there offers still stood, as in they had already made the offers, so yes, offers did actually happen if we take Poulin at his word, though it wasn't exactly publically made, rather revealed publically that it had happened.

Poulin on Friday repeated the offers DCDLS made then: to simply hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own; to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants; to buy the team if Melnyk changes his mind.

There's nothing about "as a last resort" in there, only "if Melnyk changes his mind". You've made an assumption about their prefered order with frankly nothing that I've seen to back it up.

Now, there is one point that you somewhat made; they didn't win the bid, which could change their level of interest as now they don't get the development of lebreton. Buying the team may have primarily been to solidify their chances at developing Lebreton.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
As a STH, I'm willing to support a Karlsson trade, letting Duchene walk for free after next year, and trading Stone for a mid 1st round pick, but I refuse to pay good money to listen to the Missing Chichets play one more song after this season is done.

lol, best music critique ever.

Reactions: coladin

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
As a STH, I'm willing to support a Karlsson trade, letting Duchene walk for free after next year, and trading Stone for a mid 1st round pick, but I refuse to pay good money to listen to the Missing Chichets play one more song after this season is done.

I like the idea of the live band, but I think they need to get some younger musicians in there and maybe don't exclusively play classic rock covers.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

The keyboard player rocks!

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
This really doesn't seem to align with how it actually happend.

DLS offered to buy the team, Melnyk apparently said no. They were reportadly very interested back in 2016

Then, more recently, they stated there offers still stood, as in they had already made the offers, so yes, offers did actually happen if we take Poulin at his word, though it wasn't exactly publically made, rather revealed publically that it had happened.

There's nothing about "as a last resort" in there, only "if Melnyk changes his mind". You've made an assumption about their prefered order with frankly nothing that I've seen to back it up.

Now, there is one point that you somewhat made; they didn't win the bid, which could change their level of interest as now they don't get the development of lebreton. Buying the team may have primarily been to solidify their chances at developing Lebreton.

It was quite obvious that the Winning bid had the trump card of owning a NHL Franchise, and the DCCLS group knew this from the beginning of the process.

In an attempt to bolster their bid, they laid out how they would reconcile the fact that they would not have a primary tenant for their Arena, if they actually won the rights to re-build Lebreton Flats, by suggesting they'd ... One."hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own" Two."to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants" Three "to buy the team if Melnyk changes his mind." ...

To me that is a clear list of their preferred outcomes, should they have won the rights to re-build Lebreton Flats ......... without having a primary tenant for their proposed arena.

Offering to buy the team, that was not for sale, was their third option.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It was quite obvious that the Winning bid had the trump card of owning a NHL Franchise, and the DCCLS group knew this from the beginning of the process.

In an attempt to bolster their bid, they laid out how they would reconcile the fact that they would not have a primary tenant for their Arena, if they actually won the rights to re-build Lebreton Flats, by suggesting they'd ... One."hand land at LeBreton over to Melnyk and the team to build a new arena on their own" Two."to build an arena and invite the Senators in as tenants" Three "to buy the team if Melnyk changes his mind." ...

To me that is a clear list of their preferred outcomes, should they have won the rights to re-build Lebreton Flats ......... without having a primary tenant for their proposed arena.

Offering to buy the team, that was not for sale, was their third option.

So the order he stated them in is still the crux of argument? That's quite the assumption. More likly is that the idea of making a bid for the Lebreton development with an NHL arena in it was predicated on his desire to own the team. See, I can make assumptions too, and mines frankly more logical than the order of a list indicating preference!

Either way, last resort was never emplied even if they wanted to buy the team to bolster their bid. In fact, the first article I posted clearly showed a strong desire to purchase the team, ie the prefered option right from the start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->