TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You know this, but stars leaving is not just an Ottawa thing., Shall we go team by team?

Actually, I'd like to see the list of superstars on other teams who leave (or are desperately traded) in their mid 20s upon reaching UFA.

1. John Tavares.

A guy like Joe Thornton had just signed a 3 year contract three months before when he was traded.

Reactions: Acidrain66

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I'm coming to terms with a complete tear down IF it's done properly.

EK, Stone and Duchene to separate teams for virtually all their blue chip prospects and 1st, 2nd rounders. Retain on Ryan and get assets for him. Start picking up cap dumps to reach the floor and again receive assets. We could turn this around quickly if that is the approach we take but of course it does cost money.

With the picks and prospects there is a decent chance that one of the teams falls apart and we get some higher picks than expected. It's also a lot of lottery tickets so hopefully some of them turn in to impact players. Would suck big time but I could deal with it done properly.

We also need to hire more NHL scouts and junior scouts if this is the plan, and guys with experience based all over the world.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Actually, I'd like to see the list of superstars on other teams who leave (or are desperately traded) in their mid 20s upon reaching UFA.

1. John Tavares.

A guy like Joe Thornton had just signed a 3 year contract three months before when he was traded.
Atlanta - Kovalchuk/Hossa

Drawing a blank after that, though I'm sure there's more.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
If only he could just be honest and own it instead of treating the fans like idiots.

Just admit that you can't or won't pay players what they're worth and that's why this is happening. It has nothing to do with anything else, so don't sit there and tell f***ing lies to your fanbase in embarassing fashion. He would get a hell of a lot more credit from me if he were just able to admit why this is going in this direction and not try to fluff up our fairly average prospect pool as some rebuilding gem.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
When Melnyck says "The Senators are going nowhere, absolutely nowhere" he means on the ice and in management or they are physically going nowhere?

I think we need to tease this one out a bit

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
You know this, but stars leaving is not just an Ottawa thing., Shall we go team by team?

Sure. Look at other Karlsson calibre players over the last 5-7 years:

Crosby, Malkin, Toews, Kane, Doughty, Kopitar, Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Benn, Giroux... all re-signed long term with their teams. The only guy that's left is Tavares.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

1. John Tavares.

Heck, we can go earlier than that.

Pavel Bure, Mats Sundin, Eric Lindros, Mark Messier, Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Mike Modano, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, every Habs captain etc...

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

Pavel Bure, Mats Sundin, Eric Lindros, Mark Messier, Teemu Selanne, Paul Kariya, Mike Modano, Doug Gilmour, Wendel Clark, every Habs captain etc...

Yeah, but how many of them were at the tail end of their prime?

I said "mid 20s" for a reason.

Guys leaving for their last NHL contract or to win a Cup before retirement is a lot different.

Most of the guys in your list fall into that category.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

Really, the late 80s and early 90s? :laugh: That's what you got?

In the cap era, has a team ever lost a player of Karlsson's calibre in his UFA year, outside of Tavares?

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012

EK, Stone and Duchene to separate teams for virtually all their blue chip prospects and 1st, 2nd rounders. Retain on Ryan and get assets for him. Start picking up cap dumps to reach the floor and again receive assets. We could turn this around quickly if that is the approach we take but of course it does cost money.

With the picks and prospects there is a decent chance that one of the teams falls apart and we get some higher picks than expected. It's also a lot of lottery tickets so hopefully some of them turn in to impact players. Would suck big time but I could deal with it done properly.

We also need to hire more NHL scouts and junior scouts if this is the plan, and guys with experience based all over the world.

Well it's being done to save money, so we know it won't be done properly.

Reactions: bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its nice to think thats what is going to happen... However if you were a GM why would you give up anything of value for these players after the owner just said he is trading everyone and thats the mandate.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Its nice to think thats what is going to happen... However if you were a GM why would you give up anything of value for these players after the owner just said he is trading everyone and thats the mandate.
You underestimate the powers of the force...Dorion is a sith lord

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
Man - I would die laughing if Stone, Duchene and EK pull a Lebron, Bosh and Wade stunt like in ‘07.

Watch all three sign with one team and turn them into a powerhouse - all the while Ottawa loses everything and gets nothing.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Except, didn't we need them in like last February ?

It's possible Karlsson will be traded in the next few days, Stone and Duchesne by the TDL.... wouldn't you feel a whole lot better if you knew that every player we're getting back in those deals had really been scouted thoroughly?

I mean, my gripe about the Spezza trade has always been that I suspect the scouting of Chiasson and maybe Paul and Guptil was minimal, and they just took those guys based on height and some offensive stats. (IE no way can I believe that any scout watched Chiasson play multiple times and thought he was going to be a top 6 NHL player.)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Man - I would die laughing if Stone, Duchene and EK pull a Lebron, Bosh and Wade stunt like in ‘07.

Watch all three sign with one team and turn them into a powerhouse - all the while Ottawa loses everything and gets nothing.

The cap makes that tricky.

Acidrain66

Jun 13, 2018
This is apple and oranges..those teams have better advantages, they can replenish UFAs easily and we become the farm system for the league ..but please do start, I'm all ears :)

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
I think that one of the least inspiring aspects of this is Melnyk being the one to announce the rebuild.

When you go into a re-build, you are specifically saying to your fans that the players you see are no longer the heroes of this team. Instead, the heroes are going to be the management. They are the folks that are going to rescue the team.

So who is being presented as the hero of the Ottawa Senators? Is it someone who is well-respected in NHL circles - a Shanahan for example? Is it someone with a history of winning or turning around hockey teams? No, its a dodgy, incompetent man with a mediocre reputation as a business man and a worse reputation in hockey. How can anyone respect that or believe that it will end well.

If the Sens want to rebuild, then they should setup the management structure with smart hockey people at its core. Those people should be the ones announcing strategic decisions. That would give the Sens fan community confidence that they are going to watch the start of something great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad