TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Let's make this clear: This is a fire sale, not a rebuild. We don't have the required draft picks for that, nor the necessary personnel in the front office.

We have a young, incredibly talented core that ideally wants to stay here under different ownership. EK, Stone, Duchene and Chabot are all elite or close to it, and 28 or under. You absolutely, without a doubt, can build around these four guys, add a #2 C and a top-6 winger, and let the rookies develop properly and be competitive without going over the cap. This to me seems like what any organization would do under these circumstances. Also, competent ownership would be able to buy out Ryan or at least eat half of his salary to ship him out ASAP. That's how you make everything fit.

This seemingly inevitable overhaul is purely based on saving Melnyk money, nothing else. If you're buying what this snake oil salesman is selling, you're incredibly gullible or you have your lips stuck to his ass.

Or perhaps your name is Mark Borowiecki.

senators101

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
If they were going to "rebuild", then why didn't they GIVE COLORADO THE 2018 PICK AND KEEP THE 2019 ONE?!
Even if a rebuild was in their minds, it still may not make total sense to trade the pick. We know who we were able to pick this year, we have no idea how we'll finish next, and even if we finished last, I think the odds suggest we'd be picking 4th. I've got no problems selecting BT, as long as the scouts were extremely high on him.

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
Even if a rebuild was in their minds, it still may not make total sense to trade the pick. We know who we were able to pick this year, we have no idea how we'll finish next, and even if we finished last, I think the odds suggest we'd be picking 4th. I've got no problems selecting BT, as long as the scouts were extremely high on him.
I think the only scouts left are the arena janitor and Melnyk himself

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
I'm happy that we are rebuilding, i just hope that the rebuilding is done the right this time. We need some new blood and a new owner by im not holding my breath on the new owner. I'm excited to see all those young talented players coming up with the teams. The only thing that scares me is that i have some serious doubts that Dorion is the man for the rebuild. I hope he proves me wrong. I'm excited for the up coming season. im a sens fan thru good times and also bad times. im not gonna quit on this team never no matter what.

Reactions: krapsik

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
no shit we need to rebuild when our owner doesn't do jack shit to improve the team after coming within a goal of the SCF. We lost methot and added oduya in summer of 2017 when we should have been obsessed with building a team to take out the penguins. this is why I'm ticked with ownership proclaiming that now, after all these years, we need to rebuild. This just feels like a perpetual rebuild, we'll suck for 3-4 years so we can get a few good laughs before our star prospects want star money and we ship them out to restart the process

Pangu

Jun 20, 2005
Let's make this clear: This is a fire sale, not a rebuild. We don't have the required draft picks for that, nor the necessary personnel in the front office.

We have a young, incredibly talented core that ideally wants to stay here under different ownership. EK, Stone, Duchene and Chabot are all elite or close to it, and 28 or under. You absolutely, without a doubt, can build around these four guys, add a #2 C and a top-6 winger, and let the rookies develop properly and be competitive without going over the cap. This to me seems like what any organization would do under these circumstances. Also, competent ownership would be able to buy out Ryan or at least eat half of his salary to ship him out ASAP. That's how you make everything fit.

This seemingly inevitable overhaul is purely based on saving Melnyk money, nothing else. If you're buying what this snake oil salesman is selling, you're incredibly gullible or you have your lips stuck to his ass.

Or perhaps your name is Mark Borowiecki.

Yeah, the sort-of current Ottawa conventional wisdom that says the Sens need to rebuild doesn't really make sense. Having three elite players in their mid-20s and a bunch of younger players coming up doesn't exactly scream re-build time. Especially when you don't have the management structure in place to re-build.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I still hold a very faint hope this little sloppy fireside chat about the current affairs of the team...Is a last ditch effort to try to squeeze those last few bucks from a buyer....Its a reach and chances are very slim,but I want to believe in something else other than what we have all just heard will happen with the team

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Why rebuild when you have some of the pieces to be competitive soon. Why not add to those pieces over 2 years and be competitive in a shorter window. The goal of this team is not to win. This is just a thing.. a toy .. its not about winning. Think about it .. make a plan to win the Stanley cup from here. Is it with your 4-6 top players say Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot, Pageau, Dzingel and start a retool to move out dead weight and play your better prospects and retool in a 2-3 year window to compete and contend. The direction of this team is not about winning. Why make the deal for Duchene, why make that deal for Hoffman that direction is different than the current "messaged" one.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why rebuild when you have some of the pieces to be competitive soon. Why not add to those pieces over 2 years and be competitive in a shorter window. The goal of this team is not to win. This is just a thing.. a toy .. its not about winning. Think about it .. make a plan to win the Stanley cup from here. Is it with your 4-6 top players say Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot, Pageau, Dzingel and start a retool to move out dead weight and play your better prospects and retool in a 2-3 year window to compete and contend. The direction of this team is not about winning. Why make the deal for Duchene, why make that deal for Hoffman that direction is different than the current "messaged" one.
My take is EM saw the projected profit margin and said if they dont spend neither will I...And has written off this year completely

Reactions: Alex1234

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
My take is EM saw the projected profit margin and said if they dont spend neither will I...And has written off this year completely
IMO they never really had a longer term vision. Dorion was in win now mode and the season backfired. Melnyk seeing the huge paydays for his 1,2,3 individuals is now more actively driving the bus and the direction and this is where we are. His ego is way too big. The Sens will be sunk for a few years at least.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
IMO they never really had a longer term vision. Dorion was in win now mode and the season backfired. Melnyk seeing the huge paydays for his 1,2,3 individuals is now more actively driving the bus and the direction and this is where we are. His ego is way too big. The Sens will be sunk for a few years at least.
Yep he wants to win so long as it doesnt cost too much,pretty sad state of affairs

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Yeah, the sort-of current Ottawa conventional wisdom that says the Sens need to rebuild doesn't really make sense. Having three elite players in their mid-20s and a bunch of younger players coming up doesn't exactly scream re-build time. Especially when you don't have the management structure in place to re-build.
Yeah if the team had fewer self inflicted wounds and the resources of a mid market team, we'd have been able to address most of the issues in the offseason and be a competitive club.

Acquire a goalie, new coaching staff, add a top 6 forward, sign our guys to new deals, let some rookies play. EZ. But we can't because of austerity and incompetence. Even if Dorion hadn't gone full Dorion and extended Anderson we would've had options.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

Yeah, I think we all have to just be honest with ourselves.

The direction of this team is whatever makes EM the most money in the short-term. If the team sucks and attendance drops further he will sell off to get to the cap flour, including packaging draft picks with Ryan/Gaborik if needed. If the team is in playoff contention at the deadline then we will trade picks to load up to get the playoff revenue.

Regardless, what is the use of listening to their 'plan' when considering that at the beginning of last season only one of the following can be true:

- They had a plan that included both trading away the 2019 1st and rebuilding.
- They were only 'committed' to their plan for the first half of the season.
- They had no plan.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

The direction of this team is whatever makes EM the most money in the short-term. If the team sucks and attendance drops further he will sell off to get to the cap flour, including packaging draft picks with Ryan/Gaborik if needed. If the team is in playoff contention at the deadline then we will trade picks to load up to get the playoff revenue.

Regardless, what is the use of listening to their 'plan' when considering that at the beginning of last season only one of the following can be true:

- They had no plan.
Gaborik is an amazing player to have for Melnyk. They can put him on IR, collect insurance and have his empty cap hit in order to spend below the cap floor. Same thing with MacArthur. With both guys, and Boedker's contract they can spend nearly 10M below the cap floor and still be compliant.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017

- They had no plan.
The fans plan should be to empty the arena and make Melnyk feel the financial pain he has promised is coming.

They should also organize protest that make it clear that are still watching the team and supporting the players, but will continue to boycott spending on the Sens until Eugene sells.

Reactions: Alex1234

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
I don't get how they think fans will get behind this rebuild. It obviously is only motivated by money, we aren't in a position that needs rebuilding. Karlsson, Stone, and Duchene are the kind of players you hope to develop in a rebuild. If we were committed to winning they would all be signed long term and we'd be focused on adding around them and making the playoffs. I find it hard to get excited for a rebuild when we're about to lose our three best players and are destined to finish in the basement without a first round pick to make up for it. Has any team ever lost their three best players like this in one season?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This organization is sunk until he sells. It sucks but its the reality.

Yeah if the team had fewer self inflicted wounds and the resources of a mid market team, we'd have been able to address most of the issues in the offseason and be a competitive club.

Acquire a goalie, new coaching staff, add a top 6 forward, sign our guys to new deals, let some rookies play. EZ. But we can't because of austerity and incompetence. Even if Dorion hadn't gone full Dorion and extended Anderson we would've had options.

100 percent correct. However this organization is in a unique situation, we have the worst owner in professional sports.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
The fans plan should be to empty the arena and make Melnyk feel the financial pain he has promised is coming.

They should also organize protest that make it clear that are still watching the team and supporting the players, but will continue to boycott spending on the Sens until Eugene sells.

Ya, Sens fans don't do "organize a public event" well.

sens-fans-spezza-rally.jpg

Have some realistic expectations lol

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Gaborik is an amazing player to have for Melnyk. They can put him on IR, collect insurance and have his empty cap hit in order to spend below the cap floor. Same thing with MacArthur. With both guys, and Boedker's contract they can spend nearly 10M below the cap floor and still be compliant.

The team has a projected cap hit of $73.46 million. How do we get from there to $48.8 million ($10 million under the floor)?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Ya, Sens fans don't do "organize a public event" well.

sens-fans-spezza-rally.jpg

Have some realistic expectations lol
The #Melnykout billboards were a step in the right direction and that was just at the rumour of a Karlsson trade.

I don't think it will be impossible to get some local bar viewing party protests off the ground.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad