TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Because they don’t know what they’re doing. Melnyk has ZERO idea what he’s doing or saying, he’s Trump 2.0, just spewing bull**** all the time then claiming he never said what he said.
Ya that whole comment about "people talking about moving the team" when it was him that f***ing said it just proves you're right. Dude has lost it.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You need some older players to mentor younger guys, and the direction on trading Hoffman was likely move him ASAP even if the return is less than ideal. As a result, took what was offered.
Except that it looks like we're about to move out the veterans we do have that are actually good. Why not use Hoffman as an asset to get futures like they appear ready to do with the big fish.

Reactions: DrEasy

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016

I think Melnyk may have been planning to slash spending (aka what he calls a rebuild... with no 1st round pick), for some time.

This could be why he didn't want to tie money up long-term in Kyle Turris, preferring instead to waste assets to acquire Duchene on a shorter term deal.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think Melnyk may have been planning to slash spending (aka what he calls a rebuild... with no 1st round pick), for some time.

This could be why he didn't want to tie money up long-term in Kyle Turris, preferring instead to waste assets to acquire Duchene on a shorter term deal.

All he had to do was keep Turris till the TDL and trade him for futures. Could have had another 2018 1st or OUR 2019 1st and another one... That mistake has set this team back years.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Really, the late 80s and early 90s? :laugh: That's what you got?

In the cap era, has a team ever lost a player of Karlsson's calibre in his UFA year, outside of Tavares?

My point was "stars" leaving. Whether in their prime or not, they leave. I know here people lost their minds when Alfie left. Not in his prime, but a star in his own right.

Stars always leave. It just happens.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, it's rare for a team to keep all its stars...but that's usually because they don't have cap room, not because they're being cheap.

Now, I do get it. We're not a Toronto market that has more money than many small countries. But that's why it's doubly important the the Sens to be smart. Like SOA said, if we can't afford everyone, the smart move was to exchange Turris for picks & prospects...not another (eventually) more expensive piece like Duchene. You don't sign a 36+ year old goalie to a multi-year contract a full season before you need to. You don't move your top goal scorer for basically a cap dump. You put more money into your farm system from Day 1 to maximize the potential of all your kids on ELCs. You act conservatively and don't act like a contender after one season where you went on a miracle run.

It seems like the organization just reacts to whatever they see. One good season...rebuild over, we're a contender! One bad season...retool, rebuild, panic! Dorion and Melynk are too emotional and reactionary to make good choice for the short and long term future of the organization.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It's incredible that Melnyk is basically announcing a complete overhaul/rebuild/whatchamacallit while Dorion is nowhere to be seen or heard. Like, the guy whose job is literally to do that is in no way mentioned anywhere.
Latest: Pierre Dorion steps down as Ottawa GM.
Second latest: Mark Boro signed as new Ottawa Senators GM.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Based on?

Because Alfie left at 41 y/o? Because Spezza was traded half broken down at 31 y/o? Because we traded soon to be 29 y/ Hoffman because of a particular situation? Because we traded half broken down disgruntled 29 y/o Heatley 10 years ago? Because we lost 32 y/o Methot to an expansion draft?

I can't think of 1 player that would make this statement hold the ground. If anything, Ottawa being a smaller market, they will hold on to younger players as long as possible and as long as they're not too expensive.

Or is it because of all those rumors/speculations? Until something happens, nothing out of this is fact. Can we at least wait for facts before making statements?
In other words, you're not taking EM's statements seriously in that incredible interview by new local journalist Boro?

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
This was posted yesterday morning on twitter - sorry I don't know how to properly copy a twitter post into this forum

1. Connor‏ @connormockett 16h16 hours ago
    More
    Family friend was on an Air Canada flight today. Who's sitting a couple rows behind him? That's right, that'd be Erik Karlsson haha
    DmxJsa7U4AEYuxM.jpg
...and Alfie behind Melinda...

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
If they were going to "rebuild", then why didn't they GIVE COLORADO THE 2018 PICK AND KEEP THE 2019 ONE?!
Eugene was excited, didn’t you see the video? The players were excited which made us excited which made Euge excited so they made the pick. Euge will blame this on fans for getting him excited....

Reactions: thinkwild and bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad