TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You see I would all be in for a plan to a proper rebuild if it wasn't hidden under a major issue with this franchise, and that's the owner unwilling to spend to retain it's star players.

Okay we ship out star players when they reach UFA stage, so how do I as a fan that will invest time and money into these new prospects, know that the owner won't do the same purge when the new prospects reach their UFA stage 6-7 years from now?

Well said.

I'm ok with a complete teardown and rebuild, and I'm sure most of the fanbase is, too. I just want assurance that if we're lucky enough to get a superstar franchise player over the next few drafts, that we will be able to pay him down the road.

Reactions: Joeyjoejoe

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
If a total teardown of the team was the plan all along, why the heck did we use our pick this year?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Imagine having this amazing hall of fame player with a great personality, easily marketable, great in the community, one of the most exciting players to watch in the league, and deciding he's one of the issues with the team.

Seriously.

Erik is a fun, happy-go-lucky guy who doesn't stick to a sports cliche script. The ladies adore him. He is great with kids. He shines in commercials (good acting skills and facial expressions for a non-actor), and he enjoys having fun in the spotlight. This guy is a dream acquisition for the NHL. Hell, if he was drafted by the Rangers, Erik would've been marketed twice as much as Crosby ever got, and the league would have untold numbers of extra fans and revenue right now. Erik is worth his weight in gold, and for whatever reason, Ottawa has never really taken advantage of it. Insanity.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Seriously.

Erik is a fun, happy-go-lucky guy who doesn't stick to a sports cliche script. The ladies adore him. He is great with kids. He shines in commercials (good acting skills and facial expressions for a non-actor), and he enjoys having fun in the spotlight. This guy is a dream acquisition for the NHL. Hell, if he was drafted by the Rangers, Erik would've been marketed twice as much as Crosby ever got, and the league would have untold numbers of extra fans and revenue right now. Erik is worth his weight in gold, and for whatever reason, Ottawa has never really taken advantage of it. Insanity.

I mean look at our marketing for years, it's not surprising. I really don't like piling on the org as its just too easy nowadays, but we have always been really bad at this.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
If a total teardown of the team was the plan all along, why the heck did we use our pick this year?

Likely because they wanted to take Tkachuk, and played the odds. Statistically speaking our pick next year shouldnt be as high as this year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Likely because they wanted to take Tkachuk, and played the odds. Statistically speaking our pick next year shouldnt be as high as this year.
If we are running 10 rookies out there the odds are strong that the player taken by our pick next year will be much better than Tkachuk.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
If we are running 10 rookies out there the odds are strong that the player taken by our pick next year will be much better than Tkachuk.

Maybe, maybe not. Vegas was predicted to finish last in 2018.

It would be worse if we gave up our pick this year, and made playoffs next year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Maybe, maybe not. Vegas was predicted to finish last in 2018.

It would be worse if we gave up our pick this year, and made playoffs next year.
Handicap the odds of the Sens not finishing bottom 3.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah...I'm no draft guru, but I get the impression the top 5-10 kids in 2019 is expected to be stronger and deeper than the top 5-10 in 2018.

I really get the feeling that something big happened behind the scenes recently. Maybe they were on track for new ownership, and thus prepping to be at least respectable in the standings next year (back in June when we drafted Tkachuk and getting an NHLer in return for Hoff), and then these potential new owners either couldn't scrape together the capital, or they backed out within the past week or so, which completely flipped the plan?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I thought we were going to be much improved this year? Did the team lie to us?

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'm not saying that it can't happen, but I can live with it.
The problem is that not having the 1st this year makes getting fans excited about a teardown way more difficult. If you knew you were going this way, then take the hit at the end of a shit season and start selling hope right away.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
LOL we basically have ONE extra pick over those three drafts as it stands now. How the **** can Melnyk say we're chock full of picks with a straight face?
The Senators going to be flush with picks after trading Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, etc...

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Yeah...I'm no draft guru, but I get the impression the top 5-10 kids in 2019 is expected to be stronger and deeper than the top 5-10 in 2018.

I really get the feeling that something big happened behind the scenes recently. Maybe they were on track for new ownership, and thus prepping to be at least respectable in the standings next year (back in June when we drafted Tkachuk and getting an NHLer in return for Hoff), and then these potential new owners either couldn't scrape together the capital, or they backed out within the past week or so, which completely flipped the plan?
God I hope he gets ripped the f*** off when he eventually sells.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem is that not having the 1st this year makes getting fans excited about a teardown way more difficult. If you knew you were going this way, then take the hit at the end of a **** season and start selling hope right away.

No 1st top 4 2018 vs no 1st top ? 2019 ... tomato potato ... Even though the 2019 is stronger... that Duchene trade is all on Dorion, He gave up 2017 1st (Bowers) , and the 2018/19 1st. Plus he gave up Turris who would have returned a 1st plus.. Plus he gave up Hoffman and wanted a player back vs picks We can go back to Zib and a 2nd for Brassard, Dahlen for Burrows later waived and then bought out... So many mistakes Too many.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
The problem is that not having the 1st this year makes getting fans excited about a teardown way more difficult. If you knew you were going this way, then take the hit at the end of a **** season and start selling hope right away.

Agreed. But I think we end up with a significant amount of picks if we are trading Stone, Duchene and Karlsson.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Maybe I’m missing something but there a lack of information on why we are apparently walking away from key players? Why the need to be at the cap floor? How do these things relate to a rebuild? There’s been lots of speculation about these things, but it would be great if the team could address these(and more) issues.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad