TSN: [Melnyk]: Senators’ roster overhaul imminent

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
LOL we basically have ONE extra pick over those three drafts as it stands now. How the **** can Melnyk say we're chock full of picks with a straight face?
Hey, we are missing the highest pick of the bunch, but that extra 6th and 7th make up for it! 22 picks instead of 21 (while not having the highest pick) is fully stocked!

How did our PR people let this get out? It's insanely inept

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Incredible! So much to unpack in that video, I have taken it as confirmation that even my deepest and darkest fears regarding this team likely were to generous to the current owner's delusions...mark my words what we are witnessing will be a prime case study on the all around failings of running a professional sports team in the future, I was literally pinching myself to see if I was dreaming whilst choking that video back...I laughed and then cried!

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
No 1st top 4 2018 vs no 1st top ? 2019 ... tomato potato ... Even though the 2019 is stronger... that Duchene trade is all on Dorion, He gave up 2017 1st (Bowers) , and the 2018/19 1st. Plus he gave up Turris who would have returned a 1st plus.. Plus he gave up Hoffman and wanted a player back vs picks We can go back to Zib and a 2nd for Brassard, Dahlen for Burrows later waived and then bought out... So many mistakes Too many.
That's the dissonance I'm dealing with.

I refuse to believe that Dorion is the drooling idiot many here seem to believe he is. I'll stand up as supporting the Zib, Dahlen and Duchene trades any time as overpayments but noting crippling in the moment - obviously sucks now due to unforeseen circumstances over the past 10 months. The Hoffman trade for a player only makes sense if you're actually trying to win games in the coming season. Trading Karlsson right now would be the biggest thing you could do to make sure you don't.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This adds uncertainty and turmoil on the eve of training camp. So out of touch in so many ways... Fans, players,... They are worried about the chemistry and the team gelling and Melnyk offers the calming message that he isn't going anywhere... just before he tells everyone about the massive changes coming to the roster. This team needs a savior.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
God I hope he gets ripped the **** off when he eventually sells.

I'll bet the creative accounting (once deciphered) pretty much assures the team is worth next to nothing by now. We know all the entities put together make a profit, and have for several years....but that doesn't mean much when the team is bought on credit, and the debt isn't paid down, and the owner just uses the team as his personal ATM card.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
If anyone chooses to continue supporting this franchise, they'll have to do so knowing we've become a farm team for the rest of the NHL.

Based on?

Because Alfie left at 41 y/o? Because Spezza was traded half broken down at 31 y/o? Because we traded soon to be 29 y/ Hoffman because of a particular situation? Because we traded half broken down disgruntled 29 y/o Heatley 10 years ago? Because we lost 32 y/o Methot to an expansion draft?

I can't think of 1 player that would make this statement hold the ground. If anything, Ottawa being a smaller market, they will hold on to younger players as long as possible and as long as they're not too expensive.

Or is it because of all those rumors/speculations? Until something happens, nothing out of this is fact. Can we at least wait for facts before making statements?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
That's the dissonance I'm dealing with.

I refuse to believe that Dorion is the drooling idiot many here seem to believe he is. I'll stand up as supporting the Zib, Dahlen and Duchene trades any time as overpayments but noting crippling in the moment - obviously sucks now due to unforeseen circumstances over the past 10 months. The Hoffman trade for a player only makes sense if you're actually trying to win games in the coming season. Trading Karlsson right now would be the biggest thing you could do to make sure you don't.
In a bubble ... you can defend each one.. Its a series of decisions that put us where we are and it doesn't end with those .. re: extensions. Part of it from my perspective is hindsight.. but I expect the gm to be able to evaluate where the team is , before pulling the plug that gives away so many futures in a win now move, when the team was not ready to win.. ie Karlsson injury, Methot loss, no Mac, no other team improvements. Overpayment on Duchene, and Brassard no question in my mind there.

When you go all in with high end futures like Dorion did on Duchene ... and in less than a year you are blowing the whole thing up.. Who is that on? Who is supposed to have some foresight there? Fans? Owners?

Last edited:

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Imagine having this amazing hall of fame player with a great personality, easily marketable, great in the community, one of the most exciting players to watch in the league, and deciding he's one of the issues with the team.

The relationship between the Sens and pretty much every star player they've ever had has ended on a sour note. Yashin. Chara. Heatley. Spezza. Alfie. Hossa. Havlat and Redden to an extent. Now Karlsson, and probably Stone and Duchene.

Really makes you think...

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Likely because they wanted to take Tkachuk, and played the odds. Statistically speaking our pick next year shouldnt be as high as this year.

Yeah, that's my guess. They absolutely love Tkachuk and didn't want to pass it up. After all this is the power forward that Pierre and Bryan before him, were creaming their pants for.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
This was posted yesterday morning on twitter - sorry I don't know how to properly copy a twitter post into this forum

1. Connor‏ @connormockett 16h16 hours ago
    More
    Family friend was on an Air Canada flight today. Who's sitting a couple rows behind him? That's right, that'd be Erik Karlsson haha
    DmxJsa7U4AEYuxM.jpg

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Question is why we ever traded for Duchene ? 8 Months later the Team going in a full rebuild makes zero sens

Because the team overachieved the previous season. We were struggling to string together wins. PD has been after Duchene for years, and with the choice not to re-sign Turris, he saw the opportunity for an upgrade.

The intention was likely to make playoffs, and give up a back end 1st Rd pick in the process.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
Question is why we ever traded for Duchene ? 8 Months later the Team going in a full rebuild makes zero sens

Because the team had been doing well until the trade. Conference finals and were playing well even with Karlsson recovering from off-season surgery. They also needed to make a decision on pending UFA Turris and decided to upgrade him instead of re-signing him.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Exactly, it's not genuine. It's a cop out for an organizational deficiency that apparently they think fans are stupid enough to not notice.

A potentially really good team is about to be blown up because our owner is so bad at owning the team, he can't earn enough revenue to justify signing it's prized players.

I hate this life.

Being "poor" means being bad at owning a team or is it for other reasons?

Have you guys ever thought of the size difference between Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa markets?

The Habs have a huge market because all the Quebec province is behind them. First, not everyone cares about hockey, only a small % of the population will go to games, buy merchandise and/or actually watch games on TV. You also have to realize that even out of all these people, not everyone has the budget to spend consistently on entertainment. Out of all the hockey fans in QC, most are behind the Habs. Same thing with the Leafs in Ontario. Now you have the Ottawa area, which is a lot smaller in terms of population and has a big problem : many of those hockey fans are actually Habs and Leafs fans, which considerably reduce the Sens market...

And the thing is that it will get harder and harder for this franchise to financially survive in Ottawa as the cap continues to rise (contracts get bigger and bigger as a result) and the customer base is probably already close to his maximum potential. Plus, it seems that there is a large portion of the fanbase that is actually starting to stop supporting the team...

Unfortunately, money decides of a lot of things in life and it seems that there is a large portion of the Sens fanbase who has trouble living with this REALITY (I agree, it sucks being "poor"), and as a result the organization ($$$ operation costs) is really not as big as their rivals. What is the solution? If all of this drags down a few years, maybe a relocation will eventually be inevitable. Even if there is new ownership, they will need a larger fanbase/market down the road. Nobody likes to throw money away

In a bubble ... you can defend each one.. Its a series of decisions that put us where we are and it doesn't end with those .. re: extensions. Part of it from my perspective is hindsight.. but I expect the gm to be able to evaluate where the team is , before pulling the plug that gives away so many futures in a win now move, when the team was not ready to win.. ie Karlsson injury, Methot loss, no Mac, no other team improvements. Overpayment on Duchene, and Brassard no question in my mind there.

When you go all in with high end futures like Dorion did on Duchene ... and in less than a year you are blowing the whole thing up.. Who is that on? Who is supposed to have some foresight there? Fans? Owners?

The Zibanejad trade actually ended quite well. For Zibanejad and a 2nd in 2018, we got :

- 1.7 years of Brassard (and a long playoffs run) (cheap, as he had a 3.33 M$ cost per year)
- Filip Gustavsson (potential #1 goalie)
- Jacob Bernard-Docker (26th OA in 2018)
- Jonny Tychonick (48th OA in 2018)
- 7th round pick in 2018 : Luke Loheit (194th OA in 2018)
- 3rd rounder in 2020 : ???
- Nick Moutrey (probably won't amount to much)
- Saved money for several years (Zibanejad salary vs Brassard, then vs Brown?)

The thing with Dorion is that he seems to overpay when he buys but seem to do quite well when he sells (as well as that astute move at the draft)

Reactions: pzeeman

aligator

Jan 3, 2008
Imagine having this amazing hall of fame player with a great personality, easily marketable, great in the community, one of the most exciting players to watch in the league, and deciding he's one of the issues with the team.
To not recognize this is being completely delusional.

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad