News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heady Topper

Apr 11, 2018
If this past season has done anything good, to a certain extent anyway, it has shone the light on the deep-rooted issues Sens fans in Ottawa have been feeling for some time. I'm not excusing all of it (I maintain, we have to wear the fact that we didn't sell out playoff games last season), however people are (I hope) starting to see the real fabric of the organization. And yeah, it comes from the top. All of it. Some directly, some simply on account of poor leadership and direction off the ice.

In a way, this should partially vindicate a lot of the baggage WE, the fans, have been wearing, unjustly, for years. It's sad to say, but maybe this had to happen (everything from December-present....and fearfully, whatever depths we will likely plunge to as an organization in the near future) for things to stabilize again. On the battle of the spouses, sure, Melnyk wasn't the person behind the tweets (though given how every insane story with this team manages to be topped by whatever comes next, would it be THAT surprising?.......I digress, jokingly), but this is his house and as the owner, his show. I'm convinced this is the laws of karma coming down right on Melnyk and unfortunately, we are the collateral.

Whatever side of the whole thing you find yourself on, it's painfully clear that Melnyk cannot own the team much longer. I'm sure he knows this. The house is rotten inside and out and the organization needs to be gutted, top down. There is one hell of an awesome fan base here in Ottawa, waiting on the renovation to get underway. Melnyk needs to f**k right off, take his 100s of millions and let the right people come in and build this thing back up again. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised that when a new group comes in to get this mess cleaned up, Jeff Hunt could be in a prominent role. He's exactly what the Sens need now and I found his departure from OSEG (the timing, primarily) to be interesting. With strong financial backing from the heavy hitters long rumoured to be interested, having guys like Hunt and Alfredsson as front men seems so obvious. One can dream.

Anyway, it's so, so insane that I keep stating this, but I won't be purchasing anything ticket-related as long as Melnyk is the ring leader of the circus. I can't support this with my money. As a fan, I love this team with all my heart, but I can't justify supporting something I don't technically support. Hopefully we can get things stable sooner than later, gut the house and watch as a new wave of Sens filter through. After all this, some lean years on the ice watching prospects develop doesn't sound so bad.

It also brought to light how the Ottawa sports media operates (not all of them, but a good portion). Clearly controlled by the organization and in some cases only talked about certain things when it became national news.

Reactions: Chezzz and Bileur

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Why is no one from our side standing up to this kind of BS ???Our reporters need to start calling out these scrubs and their scrub articles,THIS CONSTANT PILING ON.... NEEDS TO END

Outside of the anomaly reporter's our media/journalism group has spoken loudly to the fans with their virtual silence through this all until virtually forced and even then simply re-hashing previous takes, one of the many disappointing things we/I have learned related to the Ottawa sporting scene by way of this seeming epic franchise meltdown.

Reactions: Heady Topper

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
What if there is no other shoe to drop, and this team just lurches into the off-season with Hoffman traded, Karlsson not signed, and no statement from the GM, COO, or owner? It's like we're on a ghost ship, man.

Reactions: Hutz

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
What if there is no other shoe to drop, and this team just lurches into the off-season with Hoffman traded, Karlsson not signed, and no statement from the GM, COO, or owner? It's like we're on a ghost ship, man.

That almost sounds like a best case scenario at this point. Aside from a sale of the team, of course.

Reactions: edguy

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I'm honestly starting to think Melnyk is going to try and move this team. There's no way he can hang on here and he can't afford Lebreton.

If he actually wants to remain an owner, it's his only option. I'm not saying it will work, but I can see him trying his absolute damndest.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
I'm honestly starting to think Melnyk is going to try and move this team. There's no way he can hang on here and he can't afford Lebreton.

If he actually wants to remain an owner, it's his only option. I'm not saying it will work, but I can see him trying his absolute damndest.
How would he afford relocation fees if he can’t afford Lebreton?

Reactions: Hutz

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

If he can't afford Lebreton, he's not going to pay for relocation and to play in another arena.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
If Dorion is smart he trades Karlsson too, burns down the whole team. Fans dont show up for games and Melnyk is forced to sell.

Oct 10, 2010
The Arena is going to be empty big time it's going to be so bad the NHL is going to get worried IMO.

Hopefully forcing EM to sell.

Reactions: DJB

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Not sure why Melnyk would want to move this team anywhere where he does not own the arena.

NorthCoast

May 1, 2017

As stated above...don't see how moving the team requires less money than keeping it here.

He either finds a way to make Lebreton happen or sells to someone else that can. No other option will provide a greater return that that. Not moving, not staying in Kanata, not taking on partners..etc. In each case he ends up giving money away to NHL, partners, new cities, arena owners, etc. Plus in another city he would have significantly less revenue than Ottawa for the foreseeable future.

Lebreton is his only chance to keep it all, if he can find the money. If not, then he'll sell to someone who does.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Not sure why Melnyk would want to move this team anywhere where he does not own the arena.
As stated above...don't see how moving the team requires less money than keeping it here.

He either finds a way to make Lebreton happen or sells to someone else that can. No other option will provide a greater return that that. Not moving, not staying in Kanata, not taking on partners..etc. In each case he ends up giving money away to NHL, partners, new cities, arena owners, etc. Plus in another city he would have significantly less revenue than Ottawa for the foreseeable future.

Lebreton is his only chance to keep it all, if he can find the money. If not, then he'll sell to someone who does.

Well we've already established that owning the arena isn't doing him any good, as this franchise is falling apart, and obviously he doesn't have the means to see Lebreton through.

I think where people are going wrong here is that they assume we are dealing with a rational individual. We are not.

I mean really, would it shock anyone to wake up one morning to the news that he is trying to swing some backroom deal to move the team? It's his only option if he is truly against selling. The team is drowning and the cap is only going up. Owning a 25 year old arena in Kanata isn't going to save him.

I'm not saying he would be successful either, but it shouldn't shock anyone if he tried.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Attendance is gonna be so brutal next year. EM wants to see what it's like being at the cap floor? He's in for a rude awakening next season (shouldn't be a rude awakening, but he is clueless). I bet they don't sell out a game outside of maybe MTL/TOR games.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Well we've already established that owning the arena isn't doing him any good, as this franchise is falling apart, and obviously he doesn't have the means to see Lebreton through.

I think where people are going wrong here is that they assume we are dealing with a rational individual. We are not.

I mean really, would it shock anyone to wake up one morning to the news that he is trying to swing some backroom deal to move the team? It's his only option if he is truly against selling. The team is drowning and the cap is only going up. Owning a 25 year old arena in Kanata isn't going to save him.

I'm not saying he would be successful either, but it shouldn't shock anyone if he tried.
I think we wake up some morning soon to hear Melnyk has played the Pocklington card and sold Karlsson for a few players and a bag of cash - cash that is probably a secret side deal owner to owner.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I’d like nothing more than for this guy to experience failure in every aspect of life from now on.

"there is no sense in spending and wasting money if you are not going to be a contending team".

The fact that he sees it as "wasting" instead of "investing" is exactly why this team is such a longshot to ever win a cup under his ownership.

Good organizations invest in their teams even when they are bad. Bad organizations see spending money as a consequence of being good.

That one ideological difference right there is why we are where we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad