News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bettman on <a href="#Sens hashtag on Twitter">#Sens</a> drama: “There have been lots of headstones placed on franchises over the years, but none of the burials ever took place. This is a moment in time, more sensational than anything else.”</p>&mdash; Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) <a href="">June 20, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't know what to make of that pun.

It means the Sens won't be relocated and if we boycott CTC Sens games and Melnyk related events/merchandise, Melnyk is forced to sell or risk depleting his net worth significantly.

Ottawa has suitors, so relocation is out of the question for the foreseeable future. In any case, NHL makes more in an expansion scenario over a relocation.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
there is definitely no chance of relocation, we can only hope for a ownership change given that the mood around the team is at it's lowest despite some really great looking players and prospects. The only way EM can turn the ship around over time would be to spend to earn it, and he is unlikely do spend enough to get a sniff.

New ownership will have to invest heavily initially to convince fans that there is hope, and a worthwhile reason to spend time and money again. How long can EM last like this?

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Well I for one am glad the Sens situation gets brought up every time Bettman speaks, even if he keeps denying the issue. At least it's out there.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
It's really simple, Melnyk is not going to sell right now unless he gets some of the future value, why the heck would he? Forget the stupid barroom rumours about folks buying debt and the even stupider proposal that fans can "force him to sell" with poor crowds.

The team is about to take a giant leap in value by moving to Lebreton, Melnyk will do anything he can to take it that stage. And of course there are interested parties in buying, it's a great asset. Melnyk's text to Mendes falls right into this too, "there have been no worthwhile offers". He's basically telling the interested parties that they better add another $100-200 million to their offer or forget it.

That's the dance, give me more than it's worth right now or forget it.

That being said, I do have a feeling he's ready to sell. Not because of stupid billboards but because he's on the cusp of making some big bucks on this transaction. The Sens will be worth the most they will be within 5 years, that is until the next leap in value of sports teams which might not be for 10 years. If you're looking to cash in at the top without waiting another 10 years you probably do it in the next year or so.

Last edited:

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Maybe no one has asked him nicely yet?

"Would you please sell the team?"

Or maybe peer pressure is the answer. Doea anyone know a group of millionaires who can convince Melnyk that selling hockey teams is hip, and all the cool kids are doing it?

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa

Or maybe peer pressure is the answer. Doea anyone know a group of millionaires who can convince Melnyk that selling hockey teams is hip, and all the cool kids are doing it?

No one has met his asking price. I have no idea what that would be. For a billion dollars I am sure you could ask rudely.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It's really simple, Melnyk is not going to sell right now unless he gets some of the future value, why the heck would he? Forget the stupid barroom rumours about folks buying debt and the even stupider proposal that fans can "force him to sell" with poor crowds.

The team is about to take a giant leap in value by moving to Lebreton, Melnyk will do anything he can to take it that stage. And of course there are interested parties in buying, it's a great asset. Melnyk's text to Mendes falls right into this too, "there have been no worthwhile offers". He's basically telling the interested parties that they better add another $100-200 million to their offer or forget it.

That's the dance, give me more than it's worth right now or forget it.

That being said, I do have a feeling he's ready to sell. Not because of stupid billboards but because he's on the cusp of making some big bucks on this transaction. The Sens will be worth the most they will be within 5 years, that is until the next leap in value of sports teams which might not be for 10 years. If you're looking to cash in at the top without waiting another 10 years you probably do it in the next year or so.
Melnyk can and will be forced to sell if he guts the team and runs at the cap floor.

An empty arena hurts his bottom line and lowers the franchise value. If he won't name a reasonable price let's help reset the market.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

Get him on Dragon's Den, and maybe Mark Cuban or Kevin O'Leary will buy it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
It means the Sens won't be relocated and if we boycott CTC Sens games and Melnyk related events/merchandise, Melnyk is forced to sell or risk depleting his net worth significantly.

Ottawa has suitors, so relocation is out of the question for the foreseeable future. In any case, NHL makes more in an expansion scenario over a relocation.
Bettman was telling Melnyk to get his shit together or sell.

The fans are in a uniquely powerful position.

Oct 10, 2010

Please fans don;t show up it sounds very sad but it's the only way we can have change for the good.

Reactions: Uchiha

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
It's a good thing Gary Bettman is an upstanding businessman who has never once lied to his fanbase or acted in any manner of unscrupulous way in the past. I'm totally assured by his complete dismissal of my concerns. After all, he probably knows the situation better from Las Vegas and New York than we could possibly know it here in Ottawa.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Will be hilarious to see the fans come flooding back if they guy ever lets go of the team to someone or a group that is even reasonably respectable, literally an average owner would look like a deity in this market after the characters we have had.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I can't be the only one that read those Buttman quotes and thought it was directed at those Steve Simmons/Vice News shitty articles about Sens moving?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, no way in hell the NHL is going to walk away from Lebreton. The stadium and surrounding area is like a goldmine for the league.

Reactions: Sensung

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Melnyk can and will be forced to sell if he guts the team and runs at the cap floor.

An empty arena hurts his bottom line and lowers the franchise value. If he won't name a reasonable price let's help reset the market.

And that cap-floor, low-revenue model hurts the league's revenue. The NHLPA, other owners don't like to see a team run this way.

I'm betting that the league sees that this market will rebound and can support a mid-to-top-expenditure team. And that the promise of Lebreton can't be ignored. But who knows with Bettman, maybe he loves Houston and doesn't want to have any more expansion drafts after Seattle, or buyers in Houston that can pay the expansion fee.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Just coming by to wish you guys well again. And no matter what please promise me that none of you will be going to games and that you'll rebuke seasons tickets packages. I implore you. I truly hate watching the city of Ottawa and one of the most historic franchises in NHL history being dragged through the mud like this. If you can't cut the head off then simply stop feeding it. Even if the Senators race out to the best record in the NHL don't do it. Don't give in. You'll never get the change you want if you keep coming back.

Again I wish nothing but the best for you all. Stay strong.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
And that cap-floor, low-revenue model hurts the league's revenue. The NHLPA, other owners don't like to see a team run this way.

I'm betting that the league sees that this market will rebound and can support a mid-to-top-expenditure team. And that the promise of Lebreton can't be ignored. But who knows with Bettman, maybe he loves Houston and doesn't want to have any more expansion drafts after Seattle, or buyers in Houston that can pay the expansion fee.

They're not gonna move the Sens to Houston. Worst case is Quebec City. With Seattle in the mix you don't want to upset the balance of conferences again. But even then the NHL is gonna protect you guys. It makes no sense to not have hockey in the nation's capital. They'll find an owner who will run you guys the right way. Don't forget that 10 years ago the Lightning were the NHL's resident clown car.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Betman had no other statement he could make. Yesterday was the Awards night, no way would he want to take attention away from the event. Even IF the Sens had been sold yesterday in secret, he would have made the same comment.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Bettman: "The Atlanta thrashers are not for sale."

Bettman like 5 days later: "The Thrashers have been sold and are moving to Winnipeg"

(Keep in mind they exhausted every possible ownership group in atlanta, this is not about the relocation part, this is about Bettman not saying a damn word about it (Or straight up denying it) till its done.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad