News Article: Melnyk: 'not selling the team — period'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Melnyk has stated time and time again that he wants nothing more than to see the Sens win a Cup. If he actually wanted this, he'd sell the team. If all he really cared about was his wallet and the bottom dollar (which I highly suspect), he'll pack up and relocate. I picture myself, or any true Sens fan, in Melnyk's shoes, being considered public enemy #1 and owning an absolutely tanking franchise. Regardless of the hatred and animosity thrown my way, i'd never in a million years spite the only team i've ever, and will ever cheer for by packing up and leaving the city. Someone that loves the team as much as we do, would rather see it in new hands than in a new city.

Melnyk is not a normal person. It's pretty clear he can't move the team, there's just no feasible scenario where A) he can afford it B) the league approves it and C) there's a more valuable market ready.

Melnyk will be wearing a Leafs jersey the minute he eventually sells the team. All he cares about is his bottom line, he saw an asset he could acquire at a discount, he acquired the asset, now that the asset is in this weird position, there's a high demand for it but at the same time, the asset is declining in value with every passing day, especially if Karlsson is traded.

Its inevitable that he sells, it's just not clear when because it's pretty much his last remaining valuable asset, after this he only has his race horses.

Reactions: JungleBeat

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
I’m sure the valuation of the ctc also likely plays in to the cost. It’s basically a temporary address for any new owners so the value would be low, at the same time the opportunity to develop on one of the best available pieces of land in the country has a huge attraction

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
To be fair no one believes Dorion to be 100% in control of anything and it is widely accepted that the owner is into everyones business in the org and just lies to the fans.

So are you suggesting that whomever they draft on Friday, will be who Melnyk wants, and not what Dorion and the team of scouts want?

I believe that is not so dumb to think that he knows better than the GM and his scouting staff.

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
So are you suggesting that whomever they draft on Friday, will be who Melnyk wants, and not what Dorion and the team of scouts want?

I believe that is not so dumb to think that he knows better than the GM and his scouting staff.
No however I wouldn’t put it past melnyk to have a Russian ban (those lucky sob’s). Every Russian prospect is hoping that’s the case

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
No however I wouldn’t put it past melnyk to have a Russian ban (those lucky sob’s). Every Russian prospect is hoping that’s the case

So if Dorion selects a Russian prospect, he'll be fired, right?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
So Mendes tweeted this a couple days ago;

The part I find interesting is that Melnyk apparently told him "he has not received any worthwhile offers", emphasis mine.

Probably doesn't mean anything, but it does suggest offers have been made.

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
Knowing Gene, his assessment of a worthwhile offer is Forbes team valuation $500M + rights to build at Lebreton $500M +rights to WWE and Monster truck events at CTC $500M.....hey where did the potential buyers go?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Knowing Eugene he's trying to foot the bill for his divorce to the new buyer.

I wonder if his divorce has been settled yet?

According to this old article, the terms of his divorce proceedings have been sealed, and could very well be a factor in all these rumours swirling around the Senators franchise, it's debt financing, and alleged interest in buying the team.

Ottawa Senators owner Melnyk in divorce proceeding

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Hz523bs.png

The Alternative NHL Awards for 2017-18

Highly subjective, of course, but that's just a top-notch explanation.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
You don't think that when the owner publicly supports a sexual harasser it sends out the message that it's okay?

Bill O'Reilly settled $32m sexual harassment claim before signing Fox News deal – report

Yeah I don't get this either. When you're the head of any organization, you are responsible for the outwardly projected public image of your company. This goes for car dealerships, consulting firms, retail companies, political parties, basically anything that is public facing. If your company is perceived to be an absolute shitshow, that is on the owner/CEO to rectify these issues. It's not up to first line staff or middle management. It comes from the top, it is part of the responsibilities of leading something. Creating a culture of respectability. Our owner has done nothing to attempt to fix anything and it is very strange, save for a contrived town hall event.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ray Kinsella

atmx093

STUDzle
Jul 2, 2014
Gatineau
Why is no one from our side standing up to this kind of BS ???Our reporters need to start calling out these scrubs and their scrub articles,THIS CONSTANT PILING ON.... NEEDS TO END

In this day and age of full on trolling and disrespect? If it gets views or sells papers, why would they care anyway...

Reactions: topshelf15

hawthy

Mar 31, 2010
Ottawa
If this past season has done anything good, to a certain extent anyway, it has shone the light on the deep-rooted issues Sens fans in Ottawa have been feeling for some time. I'm not excusing all of it (I maintain, we have to wear the fact that we didn't sell out playoff games last season), however people are (I hope) starting to see the real fabric of the organization. And yeah, it comes from the top. All of it. Some directly, some simply on account of poor leadership and direction off the ice.

In a way, this should partially vindicate a lot of the baggage WE, the fans, have been wearing, unjustly, for years. It's sad to say, but maybe this had to happen (everything from December-present....and fearfully, whatever depths we will likely plunge to as an organization in the near future) for things to stabilize again. On the battle of the spouses, sure, Melnyk wasn't the person behind the tweets (though given how every insane story with this team manages to be topped by whatever comes next, would it be THAT surprising?.......I digress, jokingly), but this is his house and as the owner, his show. I'm convinced this is the laws of karma coming down right on Melnyk and unfortunately, we are the collateral.

Whatever side of the whole thing you find yourself on, it's painfully clear that Melnyk cannot own the team much longer. I'm sure he knows this. The house is rotten inside and out and the organization needs to be gutted, top down. There is one hell of an awesome fan base here in Ottawa, waiting on the renovation to get underway. Melnyk needs to f**k right off, take his 100s of millions and let the right people come in and build this thing back up again. I have nothing to base this on other than a gut feeling, but I wouldn't be surprised that when a new group comes in to get this mess cleaned up, Jeff Hunt could be in a prominent role. He's exactly what the Sens need now and I found his departure from OSEG (the timing, primarily) to be interesting. With strong financial backing from the heavy hitters long rumoured to be interested, having guys like Hunt and Alfredsson as front men seems so obvious. One can dream.

Anyway, it's so, so insane that I keep stating this, but I won't be purchasing anything ticket-related as long as Melnyk is the ring leader of the circus. I can't support this with my money. As a fan, I love this team with all my heart, but I can't justify supporting something I don't technically support. Hopefully we can get things stable sooner than later, gut the house and watch as a new wave of Sens filter through. After all this, some lean years on the ice watching prospects develop doesn't sound so bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad