Speculation: Melnyk Breaking Point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Icetray playing devil's advocate role again, here again to tell us everything we're doing is wrong and won't have an effect. news and weather at 11.

Also

7. Ottawa owner Eugene Melnyk took the floor at the Board of Governors meeting to let the rest of the NHL know that he’s not selling the club. We’ve heard that before, but it’s interesting that he was given the opportunity to do it in that setting. Clearly, he wanted the other owners to hear it from him — directly.

One governor said what he took from it is the downtown building process is going to take a long, long time.

31 Thoughts: NHL embracing new era of fun, personality - Sportsnet.ca

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Expecting this boycott to somehow force EM to sell the team is ridiculous.

This is obviously the end game, but as with the #MelnykOut campaign, the main purpose is to get awareness out there that the fanbase isn't happy with the current state of the team with the current owner.

Question - How many games do you plan on attending this year? Is this more or less normal? Since you disagree with a boycott, shouldn't you make a concentrated effort to support the owner and the franchise by attending as many games as you possibly can to prove you are a "real" fan?

Reactions: billpo

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Melnyk has made an a$$ of himself on multiple occasions on a National platform where fans from across the league took notice. Have you not seen the Boro video yet?? You know, the one that fans across the continent are still laughing about? He also used a National stage at the outdoor game to publicly threaten to move the team, everyone knows who he is.

Nobody knows who owns the Devils because they operate like a normal professional sports team should by spending money on their team even though their building is empty on most nights.

Everyone knows that Tom Dundon owns the Hurricanes because the media have been on him since he acquired the team.

You said "Most NHL fans know the Melnyk is a ____" ..... that's just you speculating at best.

Most means more than 50%.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
You said "Most NHL fans know the Melnyk is a ____" ..... that's just you speculating at best.

Most means more than 50%.

Thanks, I thought most meant under 25%. The wisdom you bring to these boards is unprecedented.

If you believe it to be something different, why don't you create a poll on the main boards to find out for yourself? I am sure the results would be much different than what you think, but then again, I am sure you would spin it in a way to try to make yourself feel better.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The year of the "freebie". First we give away EK for nothing, now free tickets for everyone!!! Wait until Melnyk gives away Duchene, Stone and Dzingel for nothing. What a wonderful man Eugene Melnyk is!

Tying salaries to revenues, such a strange concept. Ottawa fans cut off their noses in spite of their faces. You may get what you want in the end, in getting rid of Melnyk. I am looking forward to the parade when that happens. Just don't expect Stone and Duchene to be here.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Thanks, I thought most meant under 25%. The wisdom you bring to these boards is unprecedented.

If you believe it to be something different, why don't you create a poll on the main boards to find out for yourself? I am sure the results would be much different than what you think, but then again, I am sure you would spin it in a way to try to make yourself feel better.

I'm not the one making the Claim that "Most NHL Fans know EM is a ____" , you are.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'm not the one making the Claim that "Most NHL Fans know EM is a ____" , you are.

But you are making the opposite claim, no? You claimed than no one even knows who our owner is, yet you have no proof that indicates that to be the case.

I would imagine, without proof, of course, that if you polled a bunch of fans in different cities to name 5 NHL owners, I am pretty sure most would be able to name Melnyk, not because of the positive aspects he has brought to the game.

Reactions: Deku

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
This is obviously the end game, but as with the #MelnykOut campaign, the main purpose is to get awareness out there that the fanbase isn't happy with the current state of the team with the current owner.

Question - How many games do you plan on attending this year? Is this more or less normal? Since you disagree with a boycott, shouldn't you make a concentrated effort to support the owner and the franchise by attending as many games as you possibly can to prove you are a "real" fan?

I never said I disagree with boycotting, I've been pretty clear with respecting people's choice on what they do with their money. It's not a movement, it's a personal choice.

As much as they will ever be, people are aware that fans in Ottawa are disgruntled, it's not going to force the owner's hand, other than to give concessions to paying fans, like parking...

I'm not entering into discussions about 'real fan'.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I never said I disagree with boycotting, I've been pretty clear with respecting people's choice on what they do with their money. It's not a movement, it's a personal choice.

As much as they will ever be, people are aware that fans in Ottawa are disgruntled, it's not going to force the owner's hand, other than to give concessions to paying fans, like parking...

I'm not entering into discussions about 'real fan'.

You dodged my question.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
But you are making the opposite claim, no? You claimed than no one even knows who our owner is, yet you have no proof that indicates that to be the case.

I would imagine, without proof, of course, that if you polled a bunch of fans in different cities to name 5 NHL owners, I am pretty sure most would be able to name Melnyk, not because of the positive aspects he has brought to the game.

I'm not the one obsessed with the image of the owner, that may or may not be held by NHL fans is Tampa, Nashville or wherever ... you are. Do your poll, and prove thing one way or another......... I could care less.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Tying salaries to revenues, such a strange concept. Ottawa fans cut off their noses in spite of their faces. You may get what you want in the end, in getting rid of Melnyk. I am looking forward to the parade when that happens. Just don't expect Stone and Duchene to be here.

What if we don't expect Stone or Duchene to be here regardless of the revenues brought in?

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I'm not the one obsessed with the image of the owner, that may or may not be held by NHL fans is Tampa, Nashville or wherever ... you are. Do your poll, and prove thing one way or another......... I could care less.

If you "couldn't care less" why do you keep this discussion going? As for being obsessed with the owner's image, I am pretty sure that your comment got the discussion going and you have also defended Mr Melnyk at all costs for months now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku and bert

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Ive spent thousands and they let the best player in franchise history walk away amidst lying to us the entire time. So now I should pony up more money?...................................... MAKES NO SENSE. If you want change you cant keep going back to the same assholes who screwed you over with no repercussions. If this ownership and management group were actually transparent and honest then I could see my self coming back. That coupled with a financial commitment to Duchene and Stone. Until that happens I am #MELNYKOUT

Anyone that argues this hard for management with what has gone is clearly on payrole.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ive spent thousands and they let the best player in franchise history walk away amidst lying to us the entire time. So now I should pony up more money?...................................... MAKES NO SENSE. If you want change you cant keep going back to the same *******s who screwed you over with no repercussions. If this ownership and management group were actually transparent and honest then I could see my self coming back. That coupled with a financial commitment to Duchene and Stone. Until that happens I am #MELNYKOUT

Anyone that argues this hard for management with what has gone is clearly on payrole.

They can't afford me.

A crock that you would have been happy if management was transparent that you would come back. I don't believe you and your ilk. I think you just don't like what management is doing. Cool. Stay home then as it is your right.

Thin skinned as usual. Find me an organization that is any different. They are all the same and do what is in their best interests. Superstars have left organizations before. If you honestly expected Sens to forck out 11+M a year with 4K season tickets , then you are out to lunch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
They can't afford me.

A crock that you would have been happy if management was transparent that you would come back. I don't believe you and your ilk. I think you just don't like what management is doing. Cool. Stay home then as it is your right.

Thin skinned as usual. Find me an organization that is any different. They are all the same and do what is in their best interests. Superstars have left organizations before. If you honestly expected Sens to forck out 11+M a year with 4K season tickets , then you are out to lunch.

I would be happy if ownership didnt lie to my face over and over again. You dont believe me? I dont really care. If you are ok with that fine by me but you're just another sucker if you are. Its a pretty simple concept, dont be smug assholes when you shovel bullshit down my throat. Its not about what they are doing as much as how they are doing it. If you are cutting costs because you dont want to pay the player dont tell me its because you think its the right deal. Dont insult our collective intelligence, its not a hard concept.

Why the f*** do you think there are only 4 k season tickets. Its dropped from over 10,000 to 4,000 do you possibly think its because everyone is pissed off about exactly what im saying. Only person that is out to lunch here is you.

Reactions: Henderson1972

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
If you honestly expected Sens to forck out 11+M a year with 4K season tickets , then you are out to lunch.

Not criticizing your post here at all, just using this point you made to start a conversation because it's an interesting thought exercize - I wonder what the season ticket numbers would be if there had been no 6-month long Karlsson contract drama / trade fallout?

I mean, we'll never get an actual answer, but it's interesting to think about.

Last edited:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON

Lol. Seeing stuff like this makes Nicholas Ruszkowski's gloating about his genius idea to lower parking prices absolutely priceless.

Shows how clueless he and the front office is. You could offer free parking and free tickets, and you'll get the same shitty turnout. The "Vocal Minority" stops showing up, and the building may be less than half full.

I wonder if the front office can do the math on that one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
If you honestly expected Sens to forck out 11+M a year with 4K season tickets , then you are out to lunch.

Do you not think part of the poor season ticket renewals has to do with the uncertainty revolving around re-signing the franchises best player of all time?

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I think it's hard to really say one way or another without having intimate knowlwdge of NCC negotiation & business practices and trends, which I doubt anyone here possesses. This could be business-as-usual for the NCC, or it could be very telling of their patience running out (a statement which, applied to the NCC, is somewhat ironic) with RLG.

It certainly is an interesting bit of info, though. It suggests that Melnyk's side of the business was the one dragging their feet to the table ("We note that we have already received a counterpart of the Term Sheet signed by Mr. Ruddy on behalf of Trinity Development Group Inc.”)

Also interesting as it pertains to the timing of the Sens-Anselmi divorce.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Do you not think part of the poor season ticket renewals has to do with the uncertainty revolving around re-signing the franchises best player of all time?
No kidding. Not just Karlsson had an uncertain future either. Almost their entire core was/is set to be UFA after this year and judging by the past couple years of money motivated moves to kick the financial commitment can down the road, I'm sure the fan base is not overly positive about market value contracts being offered, and then being accepted.

Of course we can't forget the PR disaster of complete and utter silence for months only to fall flat on their face trying to sell the rebuild... Melnyk/Boro video, Dorion lies/contradictions, tone deaf statements and strategies, Karlsson follow up interview, reports of Melnyk refusing to sell. I just can't imagine why people aren't excited to show up.

They only have themselves to blame.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think it's hard to really say one way or another without having intimate knowlwdge of NCC negotiation & business practices and trends, which I doubt anyone here possesses. This could be business-as-usual for the NCC, or it could be very telling of their patience running out (a statement which, applied to the NCC, is somewhat ironic) with RLG.

It certainly is an interesting bit of info, though. It suggests that Melnyk's side of the business was the one dragging their feet to the table ("We note that we have already received a counterpart of the Term Sheet signed by Mr. Ruddy on behalf of Trinity Development Group Inc.”)

Also interesting as it pertains to the timing of the Sens-Anselmi divorce.
Thanks.

Sounds about what the writer of the article speculated i guess. Could be nothing, could be a sign they're getting frustrated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad